"Galloping on wings" by Howie Keefe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Galloping on wings" by Howie Keefe

Along with Lyle Sheltons book "Racing for the Gold", I also got this book for Christmas this year. Looks like it was originally published in 2001, and reprinted in 2007. It is a great book detailing the history of "Miss America", and of the air races she attended in the 60's and 70's.

There are also lots of interesting stories on the everyday operation of a P-51. I'm glad that both Lyle Shelton and Howie Keefe's racing history have been preserved in print. Hopefully others will also document their experiences. I sure enjoyed both of these books.

Kevin

Re: "Galloping on wings" by Howie Keefe

A few years back at the races... (I'm guessing late 90's plus or minus a few) I was walking through the pits and came across a guy unloading boxes from the trunk of a car. He asked me for a hand so I helped him unload a few boxes. Afterwards he asked my name, shook my hand, pulled out a pen and a book from one of the boxes.

Mr. Keefe himself honored me with an autographed copy of Galloping on Wings for my trouble. He also gave me a signed picture of him standing with Miss America in her glory days of Cox and tinted canopy. Talk about scoring some swag!

It was a pleasure to meet him and read his book.

Comment

Originally posted by LearFanKid View Post
      A few years back at the races... (I'm guessing late 90's plus or minus a few) I was walking through the pits and came across a guy unloading boxes from the trunk of a car. He asked me for a hand so I helped him unload a few boxes. Afterwards he asked my name, shook my hand, pulled out a pen and a book from one of the boxes.

Mr. Keefe himself honored me with an autographed copy of Galloping on Wings for my trouble. He also gave me a signed picture of him standing with Miss America in her glory days of Cox and tinted canopy. Talk about scoring some swag!

It was a pleasure to meet him and read his book.
      That right there is what makes The National Championship Air Races RENO
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I just started this read. I built a Miss America control line plane in the 1970's. I meet and became friends with the designer of the Sig kit in the mid 2000's. The designer of the Sig kit Hank Pohlson is given thanks in the book. I can't find anything current on Howie.

Comment

Howie Keefe is alive and well, living in Florida. I get a note from him every once in awhile. He has dveloped a spiral-bound form of Jep charts for aviators. He had a booth at Oshkosh last year, but had a lovely young lady "man" the booth. His product is called Tri-Nav Charts and can be ordered at <trinavcharts@yahoo.com> or by mail at: 6645-4 S. Florida Ave., Lakeland, FL 33813.
          He sent me a picture of him and Bob Hoover, racing their electric scooters at some show, but I would have to ask his permission to post it.
          Last edited by ShermB; 04-22-2011, 08:30 PM. Reason: spelig

Comment

Re: &quot;Galloping on wings&quot; by Howie Keefe

Nice to hear Howie is alive and well. I read his book some years ago and enjoyed the insite into the evolution of Miss America.

A toast to a real Man, Mr. Howie Keefe. Thanks for the memories.
            '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Working...
            X