• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some old stuff

i think put theese up before but some stuff my dad took Shawn
    Attached Files

Re: some old stuff

Shawn,

Love the memories brought back by the photo of #28! That must be 1972, my first year at Reno, and the first time I ever saw a P-63 or P-39 (Slovak's) fly. I drove down from Boise fully intending to root for my favorite, #90 Crazy Horse, to win it all. Of course I met with the bad news that it had been lost off the Pacific Coast a couple weeks prior.

On that note do you have any photos of Crazy Horse after it was painted all white, just prior to the crash? I don't have that year's copy of Reed Kinert's series anymore and that's the only place I've ever seen it in those colors.

Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell
      Shawn,

Love the memories brought back by the photo of #28! That must be 1972, my first year at Reno, and the first time I ever saw a P-63 or P-39 (Slovak's) fly. I drove down from Boise fully intending to root for my favorite, #90 Crazy Horse, to win it all. Of course I met with the bad news that it had been lost off the Pacific Coast a couple weeks prior.

On that note do you have any photos of Crazy Horse after it was painted all white, just prior to the crash?

Lowell
      I found one...not mine tough...I only photoshopped it.

Last edited by First time Juke; 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM.
      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Juke,

That's the correct airplane but note it is still in natural aluminum. Sometime in the summer of 1972 it was painted all white but photos are rare. The only ones I recall are in Kinert's 1973 edition covering the 1972 races. I recall one or two shots there, probably taken by Dustin W. Carter.

Maybe Birch Matthew's Cobra book has one too. I don't have a copy.

I wonder if a photo was taken the day it was lost in the drink? I've often wondered if anyone ever got air-to-air photos of this wild bird as well???

Comment

Thanks Shawn

Love the "Double Trouble" P-38
          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

my dad saw it in 71 his first year and also Mr Mennen but dont haver a scan of it

Comment

Thanks for posting!

I love the Duck. I think it is one of the finest looking planes ever. When we went to Florida back in November; we got to see Kermits Duck when we visited Fantisy of Flight.
              Tony

Comment

Always liked the shark mouths on Double Trouble. Tallman's duck routine was a thing of beauty! To see a taste, track down "Murphy's War".
                Thanks Shawn, love the old stuff!
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell View Post

That's the correct airplane but note it is still in natural aluminum. Sometime in the summer of 1972 it was painted all white but photos are rare.

Is it yet cooler looking that this aluminium Crazy Horse ?
                  Last edited by First time Juke; 01-29-2009, 11:45 AM.
                  http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

There's another (aluminum, not white) Crazy Horse picture here: http://www.enginehistory.org/Convent...3s,%20F7Fs.pdf (scroll down).

Comment

little trivia here does any know who is flying the B-25 there a really cool story behind this pic Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro View Post
                        little trivia here does any know who is flying the B-25 there a really cool story behind this pic Shawn
                        Possibly John Crocker in the same B-25 that he ran at the Lincoln City exhibition races in 1976...but that had a shabby camouflage job on it. Maybe Dan Martin?
                        Last edited by Big_Jim; 01-30-2009, 08:25 AM.

Comment

It is John crocker flying it and he is checking Jim Orton in it.

Comment

Working...
                          X