PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship - Will this effect turnout this year?

Dave65882
01-27-2009, 03:16 PM
As i was watching my 401K go by by, I had the dreadful thought that given current economic times, will the sponsorship a lot of the crews depend on to race dry up for this year and beyond? Has anyone heard from the crews how this is going and if it is going to have an impact on this year's racing? I know one sponsor for Stu's planes went out of business, as Mountain Family RV closed up shop late last year.

We might have to get the grass roots sponsorships going again like the ones that put the Bear in the air a few times.

Inverted
01-27-2009, 03:40 PM
This has already affected turn out, and who brings the race planes this year. A bunch of planes have changed hands to people more financially able to fund these bad boys. But yes I have said that this year will be a scary one for the unlimiteds especially because of their massive operational costs.

al baby
01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
This has already affected turn out, and who brings the race planes this year. A bunch of planes have changed hands to people more financially able to fund these bad boys. But yes I have said that this year will be a scary one for the unlimiteds especially because of their massive operational costs.
Perhaps The current CIC of Air force one could bail us out

BillA
01-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Perhaps The current CIC of Air force one could bail us out

My hand is out.

MMPerk
01-28-2009, 07:39 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe that this year is going to be great. A quote from a RARA board member "Yes...racers change hands, but there are still pilots to fly them, and crews to get them ready to race."

So while we may see fewer aircraft this year, that doesn't mean that there will not be great racing!!!

Have a little faith and please try to think positive.

LP

AirDOGGe
01-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I myself have been wondering what the current economy situation is going to do to attendance. We might see significantly smaller crowds for 2009.

I know that I WON'T know if I'll be going this year or not until it gets much closer to race-time. Who knows what my own financial situation will be by then?

MRussell
01-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Hell, the Air Races have been going on virtually unsponsored for decades now... I don't see a difference!

racingjoe27
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey fellas, im pretty new around here, i prefer lurk in the shadows and read what everyone else has to say. But this time im gonna throw this link out there for ya...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoIXxFSq7og

The finished product is much better than this studio version, and dont hate on the country music ;)

Dave65882
01-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Good points. I guess i was under the impression that teams at least got some sponsorship dollars from businesses, and I was wondering if there would be an impact. Know my company gave Stu some dollars a few years back,I guess i expected others to pull dollars from companies too.

kensantafe
01-29-2009, 01:17 PM
We had the Thunderbirds in 98
$18,000 Six months in advance
108 rooms
87 vehicles
and a lot of heartburn
Ken

Inverted
01-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Hell, the Air Races have been going on virtually unsponsored for decades now... I don't see a difference!

Breitling I think plays a pretty nice roll.... So do several other vendors...

AAFO_WSagar
01-29-2009, 04:14 PM
<soapbox> I'm still a firm believer that *if* we did not have "instant news media" both online and on TV... where we can get our daily, nearly 24/7 dose of bad news predictions... this economic downturn would not be nearly as severe as it is now.

Started with the financial market downturns, worsened when the bailout didn't have enough or large enough, or (more likely) well thrown life preserver.. The analysits all touted "suck it in" "don't spend" "be conservative"... which led to further decline in the market and loss of jobs.. Nobody buying, nobody needs to make it, ship it sell it, service it..

Experts predicted more worsening "the bottom is not here yet" so we all pull the belt tighter, increasing the angle of bank and the downturn speeds up.. more loss of jobs, less spending and on and on.. self perputation...

I'm certainly not an economics expert but it has to be obvious that at the very least, a portion of blame for the current situation is OUR reaction to what we hear on the news.... bad, bad, worse, worser... (I am working on geting that spellcheck back operative.. ;) )

A while back, there was even a rumor circulating that the races would not be held this year due to the economy!

I don't think there is a magic bullet to this situation, what IS needed is confidence, confidence that we'll wake to the sun rising in the east, we'll have enough to eat, global warming will not, any time soon, make life on earth impossible.

Now, do your part, put someone to work, go out and buy something!

:thumbsup:
</soapbox>

I readily accept opposing viewpoints, I in no way intend to diminish the suffering of anyone who is running out of or currently out of money. I'm in the same boat. .my pension, which I hoped would have paid my rent and put food on my table (little else, mind you) is rapidly disappearing due to the market value crash... I'm doing what I can, trying to scratch out a bit more income, a dollar here, a dollar there.. I'll continue to spend what I can on what I want/need, when I want it/need it.

This is an emormously great country, we won WWII by pure grit and very good business sense in the manufacturing sector... We were able to simply bury our adversaries with so much "stuff" and so many dedicated people to fight for it, that we won.

I think all we need right now is CONFIDENCE that we're going to come out on top of this, less prediction of doom and many years to come of gloom by the "experts"... (one blonde lady on CNN most guilty of all.. ya listening Suzy?)

Sorry for long rant/soapbox stance.. and apology in advance to anyone whom I might have offended by sharing my opinion..

:beerchug:

t-dub
01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
AMEN................:thumbsup:

3dWrightBrother
01-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Well said Wayne- Unfortunately the work ethic in this country is disappearing and a lot of people would rather stick their hand out and expect something for nothing if they can get it, just my two cents worth:confused:
Guess I should have been born 50 years sooner:dunno:
Russ

Lockheed Bob
01-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Well said Wayne.:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

bluffman
01-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Wayne and all, I have been helping F1 "Dancing Queen" a little bit the last couple of years, and the group decided that to hell with the "doom and gloom",regarding the economy, we are going to be at Reno 09, and are spending what is needed to build a fresh engine and do some aero work on the Cassutt. I don't have much $ wise, but I am donating my time assembling the engine, and anything else I can do to help. I wish it was an Unlimited, but at least we will do what we can to add to the show with the F1. "DQ" ran second in the silver last year, maybe we can win it in 09. We may be among others surviving on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches there, but we'll be ready to race.

Larry

B52Hfan
01-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Easy with the Peanut Butter, Mr Burton!!:D

JET1
01-30-2009, 07:13 AM
As i was watching my 401K go by by, I had the dreadful thought that given current economic times, will the sponsorship a lot of the crews depend on to race dry up for this year and beyond? Has anyone heard from the crews how this is going and if it is going to have an impact on this year's racing? I know one sponsor for Stu's planes went out of business, as Mountain Family RV closed up shop late last year.

We might have to get the grass roots sponsorships going again like the ones that put the Bear in the air a few times.

I 'think' (i could be wrong but I doubt it) that Rod has enough money to race most of his planes at Reno...at the same time! The other day he gave God a bail out loan to help the ailing economy in heaven! :deal:

Dave65882
01-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Very valid points Wayne, and I do have a degree in economics :) It goes back the age old question, why do banks fail, you think your money is no longer safe, you go get it out, tell your friend, he does the same thing, before ya know it the bank runs out of money. The bank could be 100% fine, but no bank has 100% liquidity, and poof, gone.......

Also agree on the news aspect....information drives decisions, always has and always will, and now we hear about it more and more. That said, history has shown these times will always come and always pass (unless your civilization falls, and we are not there yet)......Issue is a lot of good pople suffer in the process.

BTW, last time I checked this is your board, so post away amigo :) In the mean time tell the Bear folks to get their stuff back online for sale so i can buy some stuff and support the economy and my favorite race team at the same time :)

T.F.
01-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Bluffman quote "We'll be ready to race"

That's the spirit we need!

Dancing Queen just became my favorite F1.

AAFO_WSagar
01-30-2009, 11:47 PM
<snip>the Bear folks to get their stuff back online for sale so i can buy some stuff and support the economy and my favorite race team at the same time :)Just had a conversation with Alby today, Charlie (Tuna Graphics) is going to be making some great new stuff and we are going to be opening the store, hopefully, soon.

:dunno: