Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sponsorship - Will this effect turnout this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsorship - Will this effect turnout this year?

As i was watching my 401K go by by, I had the dreadful thought that given current economic times, will the sponsorship a lot of the crews depend on to race dry up for this year and beyond? Has anyone heard from the crews how this is going and if it is going to have an impact on this year's racing? I know one sponsor for Stu's planes went out of business, as Mountain Family RV closed up shop late last year.

We might have to get the grass roots sponsorships going again like the ones that put the Bear in the air a few times.

Re: Sponsorship - Will this effect turnout this year?

This has already affected turn out, and who brings the race planes this year. A bunch of planes have changed hands to people more financially able to fund these bad boys. But yes I have said that this year will be a scary one for the unlimiteds especially because of their massive operational costs.
    CFI/CFII/MEI
    www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
    www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted
      This has already affected turn out, and who brings the race planes this year. A bunch of planes have changed hands to people more financially able to fund these bad boys. But yes I have said that this year will be a scary one for the unlimiteds especially because of their massive operational costs.
      Perhaps The current CIC of Air force one could bail us out

Comment

Originally posted by al baby
        Perhaps The current CIC of Air force one could bail us out
        My hand is out.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I believe that this year is going to be great. A quote from a RARA board member "Yes...racers change hands, but there are still pilots to fly them, and crews to get them ready to race."

So while we may see fewer aircraft this year, that doesn't mean that there will not be great racing!!!

Have a little faith and please try to think positive.

LP

Comment

I myself have been wondering what the current economy situation is going to do to attendance. We might see significantly smaller crowds for 2009.

I know that I WON'T know if I'll be going this year or not until it gets much closer to race-time. Who knows what my own financial situation will be by then?

Comment

Hell, the Air Races have been going on virtually unsponsored for decades now... I don't see a difference!
              _________
              -Matt
              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Hey fellas, im pretty new around here, i prefer lurk in the shadows and read what everyone else has to say. But this time im gonna throw this link out there for ya...

John Rich performs "Shutting Down Detroit" on K98.5 Real Jersey Kountrywww.k985radio.com

The finished product is much better than this studio version, and dont hate on the country music

Comment

Good points. I guess i was under the impression that teams at least got some sponsorship dollars from businesses, and I was wondering if there would be an impact. Know my company gave Stu some dollars a few years back,I guess i expected others to pull dollars from companies too.

Comment

We had the Thunderbirds in 98
                    $18,000 Six months in advance
                    108 rooms
                    87 vehicles
                    and a lot of heartburn
                    Ken

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell View Post
                      Hell, the Air Races have been going on virtually unsponsored for decades now... I don't see a difference!
                      Breitling I think plays a pretty nice roll.... So do several other vendors...
                      CFI/CFII/MEI
                      www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                      www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

<soapbox> I'm still a firm believer that *if* we did not have "instant news media" both online and on TV... where we can get our daily, nearly 24/7 dose of bad news predictions... this economic downturn would not be nearly as severe as it is now.

Started with the financial market downturns, worsened when the bailout didn't have enough or large enough, or (more likely) well thrown life preserver.. The analysits all touted "suck it in" "don't spend" "be conservative"... which led to further decline in the market and loss of jobs.. Nobody buying, nobody needs to make it, ship it sell it, service it..

Experts predicted more worsening "the bottom is not here yet" so we all pull the belt tighter, increasing the angle of bank and the downturn speeds up.. more loss of jobs, less spending and on and on.. self perputation...

I'm certainly not an economics expert but it has to be obvious that at the very least, a portion of blame for the current situation is OUR reaction to what we hear on the news.... bad, bad, worse, worser... (I am working on geting that spellcheck back operative.. )

A while back, there was even a rumor circulating that the races would not be held this year due to the economy!

I don't think there is a magic bullet to this situation, what IS needed is confidence, confidence that we'll wake to the sun rising in the east, we'll have enough to eat, global warming will not, any time soon, make life on earth impossible.

Now, do your part, put someone to work, go out and buy something!

</soapbox>

I readily accept opposing viewpoints, I in no way intend to diminish the suffering of anyone who is running out of or currently out of money. I'm in the same boat. .my pension, which I hoped would have paid my rent and put food on my table (little else, mind you) is rapidly disappearing due to the market value crash... I'm doing what I can, trying to scratch out a bit more income, a dollar here, a dollar there.. I'll continue to spend what I can on what I want/need, when I want it/need it.

This is an emormously great country, we won WWII by pure grit and very good business sense in the manufacturing sector... We were able to simply bury our adversaries with so much "stuff" and so many dedicated people to fight for it, that we won.

I think all we need right now is CONFIDENCE that we're going to come out on top of this, less prediction of doom and many years to come of gloom by the "experts"... (one blonde lady on CNN most guilty of all.. ya listening Suzy?)

Sorry for long rant/soapbox stance.. and apology in advance to anyone whom I might have offended by sharing my opinion..

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

AMEN................
                          "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Well said Wayne- Unfortunately the work ethic in this country is disappearing and a lot of people would rather stick their hand out and expect something for nothing if they can get it, just my two cents worth
                            Guess I should have been born 50 years sooner
                            Russ
                            Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Well said Wayne.
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X