Wildfire email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildfire email

I emailed the Wildfire team to see how they were doing....and got the following reply:
    Bird is ready to fly. In fact we've been trying for the last five weeks. First the brakes were hanging up, so we aborted and fixed those. Next flight attempt the radios failed, so we aborted that flight and got the radios fixed. Last attempt the generator/alternator failed at the end of the runway so we're are currently waiting on repairs to the gen/reg.. Makes a man gray very quickly. Since our crew is strictly all voluntary with all having full time jobs, days for flying are scarce. Our goal is Reno this year.

Re: Wildfire email

"Our goal is Reno this year"

That's what I like to hear. I wish the guys the very best!!!
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

CHEERS! Here's to making Reno!
      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Don't they have to bring it in June for PRS? So it will have to be running good by then right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

If iI understand the rules correctly NO! only the pilot needs to be race qualified...the plane does not......

Jim A
          Blue 2 crew member
          Jim Adams
          Blue Thunder 2 crew
          Picabo race 51 crew
          Rapid Travel race 75 crew

Comment

Thanks Jim.

Comment

This is indeed very good news, though I'll take it with a grain of salt and a cup of tea.

Just in case,

LP

The very best luck to Wildfire!!

Comment

Originally posted by rc38pilot
                If iI understand the rules correctly NO! only the pilot needs to be race qualified...the plane does not......

Jim A
                Blue 2 crew member
                Normally, that is true.

However, I heard that NCAR has asked Wildfire to be at PRS before they will let the plane race in September.

You would need to ask Team Wildfire for confirmation.

The aircraft is unproven and needs to be tested well - especially in light of the last few years.

Comment

The way I understand is the way BillA has stated.
                  If a new airplane that has never been race qualified wants to race, it needs to come to PRS and fly a (set?) number of laps to be proven, all the while, RARA still has the final say on if it gets to race or not.

B.S.

Comment

One more reason to be excited about September 2009!!! I'll be pulling for the whole Wildfire team to get the job done.
                    Matt
                    Super Genius Rocket Scientist
                    NCAR Rocks!!!

Comment

Here's to hoping.
                      _________
                      -Matt
                      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by p51dplt
                        The way I understand is the way BillA has stated.
                        If a new airplane that has never been race qualified wants to race, it needs to come to PRS and fly a (set?) number of laps to be proven, all the while, RARA still has the final say on if it gets to race or not.

B.S.

And at a specific percentage of the race speed.

That is what I thought I heard someone say - maybe it was Morss.

Comment

I talked to Bill a couple of nights ago and meant to drop a short summary here and then the phone rang, and then the dogs were barking, and then the phone rang again, and then.........anyway, you get the picture:

Here's the summary in a nutshell - ready for test flights, but Bill needs some help with the gear doors. If you know anyone - let's get them in touch with the team. They're still planning on making it to Reno!

Daily News regarding Air Shows, Aviation Events, Aviation Museums, Aviation Heritage, Young Eagles events, Aviation Scholarships.
                          Mike S
                          www.indyairshow.com
                          www.indytransponder.com

Comment

I've worn my Wildfire Air Racing hooded sweatshirt the last two years to Reno. I seriously hope they can get it together! In confidence, I love telling people that ask me about Wildfire the whole inside story! It makes me feel like I'm on the inside, a mover and a shaker! I'd love to see Wildfire at Reno this year! Is Dave Morss still the pilot?

Here's to adding another purpose built racer to the course!! Gimme a "beerchug icon" if you agree!!

Race 29
                            Last edited by Race 29; 03-24-2009, 10:27 PM. Reason: spelling
                            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X