• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Flight Simulator grounded?

...from PC magazine

Microsoft Shuts Down 'Flight Simulator' Game Studio

discuss Total posts: 1

by Brian Heater and Mark Hachman

As the rest of the tech world scrambles to assess the implications of the recently announced 5,000 layoffs at software giant Microsoft, news has come in that might potentially spell the end of the company's nearly 30-year-old Flight Simulator series.

Microsoft confirmed Friday that the software giant has shuttered ACES Studios, the developer of the Flight Simulator series of games, whose latest incarnation is Flight Simulator X. The simulation is considered Microsoft's oldest product, whose original version first shipped in 1982.

However, a Microsoft spokeswoman said that while the studio has been closed, the software company remains committed to the Flight Simulator franchise, without explaining how future products can be launched without a dedicated software development team backing them.

"We can confirm the closing of ACES Studios, which was responsible for the Flight Simulator franchise," Microsoft spokeswoman Kelda Rericha told Appscout. "Following our annual strategy review process, IEB [Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business unit] is making adjustments within our business to align our people against our highest priorities. The closure of ACES Studios was one of those specific changes."

Rericha refused to disclose any further details regarding the future of the company. She did, however, suggest that the Flight Simulator series is likely to stick around in some form or another. "We are committed to the Flight Simulator franchise, which has proven to be a successful PC-based game for the last 27 years," Rericha added. "You should expect us to continue to invest in enabling great Live experiences on Windows, including flying games, but we have nothing specific to announce at this time."

Of course, the Flight Simulator franchise is a fairly broad one, and anything falling under the largely online Live umbrella would likely be fairly different than the game's traditionally resource-intensive online incarnation.

"It's definitely confusing; I wish I had more clarification on that that we could provide, Rericha added. "At this point, they're just not talking about it yet – how the product will, and if the product will, live within Microsoft."

Microsoft does not have a time frame on when it will provide additional information, Rericha added.

The most likely scenario seems that, like the rest of us, Microsoft is still attempting to assess exactly how such a large number of redundancies will affect its business strategy. Projects like Flight Simulator have likely been given a lower priority than, say, Windows or Office, and therefore their fates are still not entirely certain even in Redmond.

Numerous contractors also confirmed that they'd been let go in the ACES layoffs, including independent coders who were also fans of the series.

"One thing that every person at ACES will tell you is that the community and each of you in it mean the world to us for sharing our passion of flight, and so it really hurts that Gib and I can't tell you more," "PlaneEater, one of the affected contractors, wrote in a thread on SimOuthouse.com. "I was a FS fan before I joined the FS team, and being able to work on the sim we all love so much was a dream come true. I just want to thank everyone here for the time and passion they've poured into Flight Sim for so many years, and to let you all know that every person at ACES is in awe of how much the community cares about what we build."

It seems unlikely that Flight Simulator will go away entirely, even if it means branding a Live game with the name, fans speculated.

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator grounded?

I was just telling Wayner last night about a long time bro that had called me to tell me of his last day with MS. He had been with them for ages, and had been involved with the last 4 versions of FS, and was also working on their second attempt at a Train-Sim. But be not sad for him, after all, he's going to semi-retire and take a little personal time and get his real PPL. He suspects that those key people that had been working on the new engine will find themselves being asked to come back. But then again...nobody knows for sure what tomorrow will bring.

On a side note, there is blog posting or a link to it over at AVSIM that goes into a little more detail about how all this went down.

Here in Reno, the workers at Circuit City didn't know about the liquidation till they were at work and customers came in asking about it after they had seen the morning news.

And that marks the closure of the number 2 electronics retailer.

LP

Comment

Wow that is a real shame.... X plane here I come.
      CFI/CFII/MEI
      www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
      www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

That is a shame for a variety of reasons. One, i work at Microsoft and it was a sad day for the company. Two, love the simulator. Three, and this is most important, I met a lot of those guys a few years back when they had the big launch and did a lot of work/partying at the air races, and it is sad to see good people go.

Comment

a definate shame, I remember my dad buying Microsoft Flight Simulator II for our first computer... An old Atari 800XL, then we missed out on MS FS with our Amiga 500+ but regained the FS series with FS for Windows 95 and with each subsequent upgrade i upgraded... I bout X-Plane 8 and loved it, but now I am a Macbook user im missing Flight Sims totally.. its a shame, i Hope Microsoft have the heart to make sure that it is easier to bring it back
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

My own first experience with it goes way back to 1980, when a buddy of mine became the first person I know of to own his own computer (real sci-fi stuff back then...). It was a lowly Apple II plus running Bruce Artwick's FS1 program, but it actually did simulate flying...sort of...

-> my biggest thrill with it was the first time I completed a full roll...not easy at one-frame-per-second screen refresh speeds

This was before MS took over the franchise and gradually made it the juggernaut it is today.

Comment

Speaking of Apple II's... back when I was in High School I took a computer programing class, our newest machines were Apple II's but we mostly used Commodore 64's. Sadly the class only lasted one year... they ditched it due to low student interest and ???
              OK, back to your originally scheduled program...
              Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
              My Photos
              My Ride

Comment

Has it really been that long ago?

My how time flies...I can't remember how many times I've upgraded my PC to get just a few more frames per second out of Flight Simulator. I knew that if I could run the latest version of FS with decent FPS that everything else would be a piece of cake.

My hat is off to the ACES team, you've enabled me to travel far and wide across this ever shrinking globe of ours. I've been able to test my skills in conditions that would make the best pilots think twice, and I've been able to shoot approaches that mortal man would fear to fly, I've been able to do all of this so much more...without putting myself or others in harms way. Thanks for the great ride!!

I do so hope that you will be able to find an outlet for your skills and talent.

LP

Comment

FSX has the pylons in place (sort of) at Stead. It has allowed me to work out a pretty decent line.
                  Anyone check out that Acceleration expansion? I heard it has racing tutorials.

Comment

ya it does. The acceleration pack is pretty good. The F-18 is pretty close to the real thing which is nice. And the Air Race missions are fun.
                    CFI/CFII/MEI
                    www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                    www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                      My own first experience with it goes way back to 1980, when a buddy of mine became the first person I know of to own his own computer (real sci-fi stuff back then...). It was a lowly Apple II plus running Bruce Artwick's FS1 program, but it actually did simulate flying...sort of...

-> my biggest thrill with it was the first time I completed a full roll...not easy at one-frame-per-second screen refresh speeds

This was before MS took over the franchise and gradually made it the juggernaut it is today.
                      I remember playing FS at school on a Apple II. I was in 7th grade when Dad came home with a Macintoch 128. 128K as in RAM. The thing had no hardrive. So I got on my bike and rode to Wolf computer in downtown Los gatos and bought FS for the Mac. My first videogame. The Mouse was the joystick and throttle. I loved it. I tell my boy about the good'ol days but.......

Comment

My fist experience was in '82 with a Commadore 64... I thought it couldn't get any better than this!
                        Here in Reno, the workers at Circuit City didn't know about the liquidation
                        When they closed the local Krispy Kreme the employees didn't know until the morning crew showed up to locked doors, and display cases full of the donuts the night crew had made!
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I don't see the damage, The better simulator was FS9/FS2004, FSX never lived up to expectations in regards to being better. The graphics are more detailed in FSX but the flight modeling is still better in FS9. The aftermarket support for FS9 simulations was way ahead of and still is ahead of anything that the aftermarket developed for FSX as there is more freedom in the program with FS9. There are a ton of sim websites out there and you can find accurate sims for an entire world of aircraft.

Possibly in reality Microsoft finally realized they couldn't make a better sim than FS9. Just my opinion. I'm sorry some folks got the ax, that is the loss.
                          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe

Boy that animation sure brings back some memories. FS was my first "game" on a Mac Plus. If you had shown me an iPhone with Xplane at that time I would have believed you just arrived via UFO.
                            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Working...
                            X