A320 crash lands into Hudson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A320 crash lands into Hudson

a US Airways A320 has crashed into the Hudson River...They are saying everyone got off okay...amazing job by the pilots...supposedly a bird strike on take off caused this...quite dramatic video on CNN

Re: A320 crash lands into Hudson

Originally posted by johnnyrace
    a US Airways A320 has crashed into the Hudson River...They are saying everyone got off okay...amazing job by the pilots...supposedly a bird strike on take off caused this...quite dramatic video on CNN
    Wow... watching this now, someone did a pretty amazing job getting that thing slowed down and on the water, essentially in one piece...

Incredible...

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: A320 crashed lands into Hudson

Awesome job saving a bad situation.
      My dad tells of a time they were taking off out of somewhere in Japan in a C-130. Heavy with fuel and cargo they flew through a flock of seagulls at night. They knew what they hit as 2 of them came into the cockpit. They got over the water and jettisoned the cargo as the engines failed one by one. They landed with only the #2 producing full power, and all four had ingested birds completely ruining the engines and two of the props, along with the nose dome and a couple of windows!
      When I flew sailplanes it wasn't uncommon to end up in the same thermal with a hawk or two. A couple of times I have seen scratches and cracks on other planes from "nicking" one. Never did it myself thank goodness.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Curious:
        What sustains the hydraulic pressure during a double engine failure? I know some planes had RATs but I wouldn't think there'd be time to deploy one in circumstances like this. Anyone know?
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Matt-

The A320 series has a Ram Air Turbine (RAT) which deploys when you lose AC bus 1 and 2. It gives you all primary flight controls plus Flaps, Slats and Spoilers.

-Ken

Comment

does the APU have a hydraulic pump? is it customary to run the APU in flight?

Pete

Comment

Gotham Glider, in reference to the 'Gimli Glider' 767 of Air Canada's stable?

I think the next time I become self-loading cargo, I'm going to ask the Flight Crew if either person is a Glider IP!! Bravo Zulu, to THAT aircrew!!!
              Last edited by B52Hfan; 01-15-2009, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Pete, to answer your questions,
                1) `No the APU does not have a hydraulic pump.

and

2) The APU is normally secured prior to takeoff. It can be started in flight if needed for electrical and/or pneumatic power in some situations.

I believe this is the same with all commercial operators, but i can only speak from what I seen at my place of employment.

Dave
                Dave

Comment

Someone should offer Captain Sulli an Unlimited ride at Reno!
                  _________
                  -Matt

Comment

Agree completely. I am not a pilot but have seen what normally happens to planes when they hit the water, and this guy deserves full marks. News said he lives in Danville, maybe we need to send Stu some money so he can go get this guy drunk on us.

Comment

anybody find a video of it hitting the water yet?

Comment

Originally posted by laminar
                        anybody find a video of it hitting the water yet?
                        Prolly just a matter of time.
                        _________
                        -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
                          Curious:
                          What sustains the hydraulic pressure during a double engine failure? I know some planes had RATs but I wouldn't think there'd be time to deploy one in circumstances like this. Anyone know?

Don't know about A320, but the aircraft I fly has electric hydraulic backup for each engine system. Also has a third hydraulic system that is totally electric, main and backup system.

RAT should deploy automatically in event of loss of all electical power. May also provide power to a backup electric hydraulic pump.

The crew of this flight, both in cockpit and cabin, did an incredible job and demonstrated what all their training is for. Hats off to the ferry crews and all other rescue crews in NY as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dudflier
                            The crew of this flight, both in cockpit and cabin, did an incredible job and demonstrated what all their training is for. Hats off to the ferry crews and all other rescue crews in NY as well.
                            I agree. It appears that the flight crew did an absolutely incredible job of dealing with this emergency. My hats off to them, for sure!

The Captain of that flight is no slouch in the aviation department, either. Look at his impressive resume:

You couldn't have had anybody more experienced to deal with that. That's about as good as you can get!
                            Last edited by dvddude; 01-16-2009, 06:10 PM.

Comment

As a very entrenched "if it's not Boeing, I'm not going" traveler in the past, I'm looking at this, seemingly, intact fuse, tail and wing structure of the AirBus series and taking a long look at my ass's loyalties...

Pilot, First officer A+++ Airframe... has to get extremely high marks. Personally, I don't see how you could do any better with something that big in this situation.

Lots of skill, lots of good hardware, maybe that "third officer" helped a bit too ey!

Just an amazing, celebratory event... we, as a flying nation, needed this.. if we, indeed, needed a, "incident"... this was as good as it can get!

Would love to shake that flight crew's hands! (all of them, PIC knows, there were more than one of them due credit and I"m sure he'll make that clear)

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X