FAVORITE FURIAS FOTOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAVORITE FURIAS FOTOS

Now that the new players involved have gone public w/their ambitious & noble plan to prepare Racer #15 - FURIAS f/some serious future Unlimited Class Gold Championship victory campaigning, how 'bout we launch a fun historical photo thread showcasing favorite- 'fast & FURIAS' photos of this mighty R-4360-modified Hawker Sea Fury's 1983-present racing career?

"Gentlemen- Please post & share your FURIAS shots!"

Here's one of mine to get things going, taken Sat. 9/18/88 on Reno's Stead Field ramp, titled- 'LLOYD's LOCOMOTIVE':

DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 01-13-2009, 01:28 AM.

Re: FAVORITE FURIAS FOTOS

1982 I believe.
    Last edited by FENCELINER; 03-22-2010, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Reno 97
      Attached Files
      Mark K....

Comment

The new paint job is cool, but I like the old one a lot more.

this is very exciting, I have always wanted to see a 4360 with some serious airframe behind it. (besides the super corsair I should say!)

Comment

Originally posted by FENCELINER
          1982 I believe.
          Thanks, FENCELINER, for adding those two opposing-view FURIAS photos, to help get this group participation thread rolling.

Think your pair of pics were taken at Reno '84 - first year this bird wore her red & gold racing feathers, following her frustrated '83 debut. (The 2-color spinner (DC-7 type?), bubble canopy & this vert. tail extension design are part of the Furias package f/1984 event also).

DBD

(THX Cobra & flyingjibus, as well!)
          Last edited by BuckyD; 01-12-2009, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for putting these up, brings back some great memories, i'll add this one to the 1988 portion of the show.

Shot from the hills between three and four
            Attached Files
            "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD
              Thanks, FENCELINER, for adding those two opposing-view FURIAS photos, to help get this group participation thread rolling.

Think your pair of pics were taken at Reno '84 - first year this bird wore her red & gold racing feathers, following her frustrated '83 debut. (The 2-color spinner (DC-7 type?), bubble canopy & this vert. tail extension design are part of the Furias package f/1984 event also).

DBD

(THX Cobra & flyingjibus, as well!)
              Hey Bucky, I think that the first pic (rear view) is from '85? (larger chrome spinner), and the second pic (front view) is from '84 with the two-tone DC-7 spinner
              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Birds of a feather....

Comment

I always liked this paint scheme. Apparently they had hopes at one point for a big sponsor, and designed the paint job to highlight the sponsor's name...

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub
                    Hey Bucky, I think that the first pic (rear view) is from '85? (larger chrome spinner), and the second pic (front view) is from '84 with the two-tone DC-7 spinner
                    Yo- t-dub... Sir, You are 'Right-As-Rain'! I stand corrected behind my poor spectacle vision - My quick gander didn't note the chrome spinner from the 3/4-rear angle view in FENCELINER's foto. '85 it IS! (Sorry, there- FENCE!)

Here's a five shot gallery for the oversight, that gives an overall basic comparison between FURIAS' two totally different paint schemes to date (I sure loved the flashy accent of that big chrome spinner w/the red & gold motif)...

Photos (L-R):

1. Mon. 9/10/84 - Qualifying & Practice - Outer 4 Pylon (P-L. Hamilton)
                    2. Mon. 9/16/85 - Pre-departure engine runup on the ramp (P- " )
                    3. Wed. 9/11/85 - Qualifying & Practice - West Guide Pylon (P- " )
                    4. Fri. 9/15/00 - Sunset engine test run on the ramp (P-Art Vance)
                    5. Mon. 9/8/03 - Qualifying & Practice - Pylon 7 (P-Gary Hubler, Q-Run)

Keep those fun FURIAS fotos comin', guys!!! DBD
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BuckyD; 01-13-2009, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD
                      1. Mon. 9/10/84 - Qualifying & Practice - Outer 4 Pylon (P-L. Hamilton)
                      You know what\'s wrong with that photo? Still has the engine cowling on.

The memory of that incident still gets the pucker factor going all these years later. By the time ol\' Lloyd got her on 08 safely, I think the cowling pieces were still fluttering down in the breeze out by pylon 7.

Don\'t suppose anyone has photos of Furias rolling out on the runway after that one, do they?

Jim

Comment

Slides, no scanner for them. It was quite a sight, looking like he threw a big wad of confetti out.
                        I always kinda felt for them. They worked so hard with so little and always seemed to end up with the fuzzy lollipop.
                        Still have my Hamilton Racing Team patch!
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim
                          You know what\'s wrong with that photo? Still has the engine cowling on.

The memory of that incident still gets the pucker factor going all these years later. By the time ol\' Lloyd got her on 08 safely, I think the cowling pieces were still fluttering down in the breeze out by pylon 7.

Don\'t suppose anyone has photos of Furias rolling out on the runway after that one, do they?

Jim
                          Jim - Actually, that happened to Lloyd on Lap 4 of Reno '84's Saturday - UNL Heat-3B (9/15/84). I was shooting from the fenceline just off the West Chute Guide Pylon & watched FURIAS 'sneeze' & shed its' engine cowlings right in front of us. It happened so suddenly, we were all stunned & surprised and couldn't react fast enough to take a picture (- only if you squeezed the shutter button by coincidence during panning, would you've gotten this on film - 'ala-Jim Larsen').

I actually do have a couple slides someplace that I took of a couple cowlings floating down towards the desert floor at the spot it happened, sans the plane- which was by then scooting over towards Outer 7 & pulling up & out. Nothing worth looking for, photo-wise. It didn't take too long afterwards, for a couple vehicles to show up w/some Hamilton crew members, to retrieve the cowlings to take back to their pit.

One of the cowling sections did hit the windscreen & dinged the verticle tail fin assy., and another damaged the R/H wing at the aileron/flap intersection point, which hindered the aileron travel for Lloyd's successful emergency landing.

Crazy things often happen down along the Valley of Speed, and I'll never forget this incident, for sure!

DBD
                          Last edited by BuckyD; 11-16-2011, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I have a pic somewere of him pulling up with a pice of the coweld falling but i not tooo sure were it is at Shawn

Comment

Here's a few from 1988: (L to R) #1: Lloyd runs 'er up on the ramp. #2: Furias on the ramp complete with a scale R/C model replica! #3: Furias sits quietly on the ramp. In the background, you can see the natural metal cowl, and the black prop/spinner of Jim Mott's "Super Chief", along with the #77 tail of "Rare Bear". An interesting tidbit on "Super Chief" is that it was formally Mike Carroll's "Miss Merced" and won the 1967 Transcontinental "Milwaukee to Reno".
                              Attached Files
                              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Working...
                              X