Space Shuttle Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Shuttle Launch

We're going to view the shuttle launch next month. Any suggestions or advice for what else to do while in Florida? Any warbird museums? Cities to visit or good places to stay?
    We'll hit the Daytona 500 since the timing is right, but we'll have lots of time for other stuff.

Any suggestions are appreciated
    thanks!!
    Last edited by dineega; 01-08-2009, 11:45 PM.

Re: Space Shuttle Launch

Take the hour and a half drive down to Kissimmee and hop in one of Stallion 51's P-51's or T-6's for an orientation flight.
    One of these days I hope to be able to make the trip myself when I'm in the area.

When you're done with your P-51 ride drive another 15-20 minutes south and visit Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight.
    Oh, and most important... take pictures and come here to AAFO to brag

Almost forgot one... since you're going to be right there make sure you visit the Kennedy Space Center and pretend you're an astronaut for a day.(that is if it wasn't already in the plans).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stevo; 01-09-2009, 01:28 AM.
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

Go See Jimmy!!

PM me!!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Kennedy has alot to offer by itself...if you have never seen a Saturn V Rocket in person I highly recommend it...I have seen several launches and the sound of the shuttle launch really set the hair on my neck straight up...The NASA Causeway is the best and closest point of view, but will require tickets...get them quick if you don't already have them...otherwise find a good spot in Titusville if free is your plan...for other entertainment, the Valiant Air Command has a museum in Titusville which is near the Kennedy...Definitely take the trip to Stallion 51 in Kissimmee...You never know what airplanes will be there...I used to live in Orlando and go there often and there were always many aircraft there including several Mustangs, a P-40, and a Spitfire ...They do maintenance on some aircraft besides there own, so you will likely see multiple warbirds...Everyone there is very friendly and Lee Lauderback gave many of my friends I brought there mucho access...The Fantasy of Flight is always interesting with many rare birds and often a flying demonstration of whichever plane is featured that day...there is plenty to see for the aviation buff...have fun

Comment

If you're also going to Daytona, stop by New Smyrna Beach airport and see American Aero Services: http://www.americanaeroservices.com/ They have an open door policy and you can see them restoring WWII aircraft. They have a P-51D, P-51C, and A-36 they're working on right now. They also have a Korean War era Corsair and many times have a B-17, B-24, and B-25. There are some cool ground vehicles like a Jeep Willies, Halftack, air raid searchlight from Germany, mace missile, etc. Next door is also George Baker who used to own the Sea Fury Southern Cross. He has all kinds of photos from Reno's past that are signed by a lot of our famous favorites, some of which are no longer with us. You also might see Gene McNeeley out there who races and flies a T-6.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
            If you're also going to Daytona, stop by New Smyrna Beach airport and see American Aero Services: http://www.americanaeroservices.com/ They have an open door policy and you can see them restoring WWII aircraft. They have a P-51D, P-51C, and A-36 they're working on right now. They also have a Korean War era Corsair and many times have a B-17, B-24, and B-25. There are some cool ground vehicles like a Jeep Willies, Halftack, air raid searchlight from Germany, mace missile, etc. Next door is also George Baker who used to own the Sea Fury Southern Cross. He has all kinds of photos from Reno's past that are signed by a lot of our famous favorites, some of which are no longer with us. You also might see Gene McNeeley out there who races and flies a T-6.
            Dude, screw the shuttle launch and do Aero Services kidding
            "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Thanks for all the great ideas!!

Rachel

Comment

We saw a shuttle launch last summer. Be prepared for the crowds! They said they had 4-5 thousand people there on a normal day. There were 35,000+ on the launch day. The visitor's center was overwhelmed with the number of people. Lines to get on the attractions or see the IMAX movie were 2+ hours long. Hopefully, since it's not vacation time, you'll have a lot fewer people, and a lot less heat. That being said, make sure you bring plenty of water. And you absolutely must go on the Shuttle Launch Experience - it's completely awesome. Have fun!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Was there a couple of years ago for the Daytona 400 over the July4th weekend. and the shuttle launched durring the race.. was prity cool thing to see.

The day befor however. we whent don the space center and was rather rudly turned away.. As long as a shuttle in on a launch pad they are closed to visitors. I was prity bummed about that, and we drove around along the back roads afterward.. hopping to get a look at the shuttle.
                  All we got to see were some manities that day though.

so, if you are planning on going to the space center to take in the attractions. Plan on doing it after the launch.

Comment

Working...
                  X