HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRUCE LOCKWOOD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRUCE LOCKWOOD!

Very Best Birthday Wishes to- BRUCE LOCKWOOD...
    2-Time Reno Unlimited Gold Champion & one of the BEST sticks out there in the flying Warbird business, & restoration expert who's helped keep some rare birds flying for all of us to enjoy. He's also one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet out at the airfield.

Thanks, Bruce, for all the great fun & thrills over the years, and your valuable friendship too.

Your old Alaska pal - Don 'Bucky' Dawson
    Attached Files

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRUCE LOCKWOOD!

The three part article he wrote in WI about the Corsair flight, is such a great read. And, an honorable mention of you to Bucky
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Did Bruce have any Maydays with Dago?
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
        Did Bruce have any Maydays with Dago?
        I don’t remember any maydays but he did get turned almost upside down trying to set up a pass on Dreadnought during one race……. it was quite a sight to see. He managed to get her situated and passed the Buick to take the win.
        Jason Schillereff

Comment

Happy Birthday Bruce & many more. Thanks for all the thrills over the years. You are one of the best drivers out there & have shown the fans your flying talents many times.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

To Bucky and the rest. thanks for the Happy Birthday wishes. And to you especially Bucky, thanks for the great photos you took at Ketchikan and our long valued friendship. You seemed to have been there during all the great moment of my flying career. Every time I go to Juneau I think that I should be taking the "milk run" so I can stop and say "Hi"....... One of these days.

By the way Bucky, met a friend of your on my last flight through to Juneau in mid November. He had lost his leg in the Beaver crash. Real nice guy, I think his name was Mark.

Looking back at the photos, I forgot how crappy the weather was for the Corsair flight. Learning to fly in Alaska, it seem normal to "scud run" everywhere I went. After leaving Ketchikan in the afternoon, I must have come across a dozen fishing boat on the way back to Juneau. I'd laugh to myself each time I buzzed one and saw the startled look on some grizzled old captain face as I flashed by. Frantic waving by the crew most often rewarded them with a ring side seat to a "low and tight" photo pass with long streamers gracfuliy flowing off the wingtips as I preformed a tight turn around the boat then passed by at eyelevel and disappeared into the mist. I Wonder how many fishermen thought they had become involved in some eppisod of the Twilight Zone Ha! Ha!

This is my first post here as a friend of mine and one of your members told me about it. Thanks Elliot! I'll try to be more active. Thanks again, Bruce

Comment

Welcome to the forum and, a big Thanks for participating Bruce! And thanks for the great series of articles you've been doing for Air Classics!

I like what Micheal is doing with the magazine lately, he's a great writer but it's nice to see so many articles written by others over the past year.

Wayne Sagar
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hi there, Bruce!

Glad to hear from you again, via your first post here on this forum, and thanks for sharing another great anecdote to add to the - 'Lore of the Alaskan Corsair' chapter of your flying career.

Seeing your bent-wing bird come buzzing over the fishing grounds does indeed offer up a great screen shot for a future Twightlight Zone remake, and bet those crews are still toasting to the still-vivid memories of their experience!

Foul-weather flying up here still goes on, and always will, as you know. Bet that was Juneau-ite- Jimmy Wright, you ran into. He's been the regional FAA Capstone Program support rep. for Southeast (short w/reddish-blond hair?) since it was implemented for Alaskan air taxi operations. The program has been a great boon to improving flight safety in The Last Frontier, especially when we have our usual weather conditions.

One big new navigational factor to consider these days in SE Alaska 'sea-level flying' during summer months when the weather's up & down - be wary of all those big Love Boats (cruise liners) comin' & goin' every day all along Alaska's Inside Passage. Hate to have one of those big vessels suddenly fill your windscreen view! <g>

Anywho - welcome aboard this forum & hope you'll peruse the many entertaining & informative sections the AAFO.COM website offers its' site-goers & members. Be sure to check out all the great archived material too. Once you log-on, you can use the site search engine or click-on any user name on a thread to view their posting histories, to see a wealth of archived commentaries, photographs, etc. (I.E. -You can click-on 'BuckyD', and see alot of photo coverage on other aircraft flown by- 'Bruce Lockwood', for some reason , or just plug your name into the search engine to see what comes up ).

We always respectfully appreciate it very much- whenever air race pilots, crew, owners & other insider personalities drop-in with their thoughts & comments to keep us all informed & educated. So with that said, THANKS, Bruce!

Your pal-

Bucky
                Last edited by BuckyD; 01-08-2009, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Let me add my birthday wishes and kudos to Bruce for joining the group and offering another inside perspective for us observers and wannabes. I'm still a rookie around here as '99 was my first year. Glad I got there in time to see your last race.
                  Matt
                  Super Genius Rocket Scientist
                  NCAR Rocks!!!

Comment

Happy Birthday as well Mr. Lockwood! Thanks for joining us here on our discussion. I'm sure I speak for all of us here, when I say we would all be absolutely thrilled to hear your stories and personal insight into Reno. All of us would greatly value your participation in this forum.

BTW, are you still flying any warbirds at all or are you retired from them?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude
                      Happy Birthday as well Mr. Lockwood! Thanks for joining us here on our discussion. I'm sure I speak for all of us here, when I say we would all be absolutely thrilled to hear your stories and personal insight into Reno. All of us would greatly value your participation in this forum.

BTW, are you still flying any warbirds at all or are you retired from them?

Thanks!
                      Yes,

Comment

Working...
                      X