This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stop wasting warbirds"

Last night I found myself standing in front of the magazine rack at a local big box store, as I was standing there a copy of the Feb 2009 Flight Journal caught my eye. I picked it up and started browsing through it, inside I find an article written by General (Ret) Chuck Yeager titled "Stop Wasting Warbirds."
    It was meant to be a safety article... but the last line really left a bad taste in my mouth.
    "Unfortunately many of them are being destroyed today mostly by spoiled, rich pilots at the Reno Air Races."
    Sorry for opening this can-o-worms.
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Re: "Stop wasting warbirds"

Been discussed at length over on WIX, just shows what an a$$hole Mr. Yeager has turned out to be.

Comment

Yeah. Used to think Chuck Yeager was pretty cool. What happened besides, domestic things?

Frank C.
      Last edited by Frank C.; 12-21-2008, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Put yourself in his shoes guys. He flew P-51's in ww2 and memory serves me correct he was an ace at 19 and shot down. Among millions of other amazing feats. He loves nothing more than spreading awareness and the history of warbirds and preserving their legacy. I totally can see where hes coming from.

We have amazing pilots, taking priceless warbirds, and chopping them, molding them into race machines, it ruins the originality of the aircraft somewhat. While that can almost all be reversed its taking a killing machine, something which he used to survive and turning it into a toy to race around. At least thats how I would assume he see's it.

I dont think its ruining anything, and unlimited air racing just has bad ass written all over it, and its something I am currently trying very hard to wet my taste buds with as a pilot but I can understand where hes coming from. There are very very few ww2 pilots that can still fly a plane, not to mention a P-51 modeled after the one he flew in ww2. Its a different thing for Chuck...
        CFI/CFII/MEI
        www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
        www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

While I do not agree with Chuck Yeager's statement, I will say i think he has earned the right to say what is on his mind even though i do not agree with him. Let's not forget that one of the reasons we love this sport is the bravery and courage the pilots have, and I think Mr. Yeager has shown multiple times he also has these traits we all love and enjoy. The man will always have my respect and I will continue to tell my kids what a great man he is, even though I think he is wrong in this situation.

My two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
            Been discussed at length over on WIX, just shows what an a$$hole Mr. Yeager has turned out to be.
            How about this, go to his next speaking engagement and tell him this. I'm sure he will be more than happy to explain.

Comment

Not taking anything away from Chuck Yeager but there were many others that were as good as he was including Bob Hoover, "Bud" Anderson,Marion Carl,Bob Love & many others that flew in the military & also raced. I remember at a few of his appearances he wasn't well liked because of his attitude. I saw "Pappy" of BaBa Black Sheep at many appearances & he always had time to talk to you & sign autographs. I have met many great pilots over the years but he always seemed to have an attitude. 3cents worth.
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

I don't think that makes him an a$$hole. He is entitled to his opinion just like anyone else. One of his closest friends is Bob Hoover and they never let it come between them. They are both highly respected members of the aviation community and we can learn a lot from the likes of them. SOME people are against even FLYING Warbirds at airshows, etc, and think they should only be displayed static. Again, another opinion that can be debated. I believe there is a place for warbirds dispayed as combat aircraft AND as racers, because they are both a significant part of aviation heritage, but that's just my $.02(CAN)

Comment

yeah chukie doesn't think too much of racin

...heck he broke the sound barrier ... but then he didn't get to go into space...

Comment

Mr. Yeager is NOT liked at all in the aviation community by most people. Besides Bob Hoover and Bud Anderson, is there anyone who has spent time with him who actually likes him? I've spent time with the man, socialized with him and had dinner with him. I don't want to go into details on a public forum like this, but I am not a fan of his at all! You will find that the vast majority of warbird owners/operators/mechanics all feel the same way as I do. I respect his unselfish service that he gave to our country - I applaud that! But I don't respect him personally based off of the way he treated me, my friends and numerous people I've talked to. I'm not the only one who feels this way, by the way.

Comment

In my experience many in the warbird community agree -- strongly.

Comment

I got an e-mail interview with him. Here it is.

Evan
                        http://evanflys.com/

Comment

The only reason there are Warbird's today are because of "spoiled rich kids", I for one wish there would have been more "spoiled rich kids".

Comment

I dont agree with that statement at all. The reason we have warbirds is because of people who care about preserving our history. You dont need to be rich to own, or contribute to keeping warbirds alive.
                            CFI/CFII/MEI
                            www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                            www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                              In my experience many in the warbird community agree -- strongly.
                              Well, if that's the case, then where is that long list of warbirds that have been "wasted" by racing?

Then, let's compare it to the list of warbirds that have been SAVED by racing -- airframes that would have gone to the scrapper if they hadn't been rebuilt into racers. Or, airframes that have had an immense amount of TLC and $ put into them so they could race.

Or, let's compare the list of warbirds that have been wrecked in just normal operations over that same period.

I'll agree that racing has destroyed many engine pieces and components -- there is a valid argument there. But so far as airframes go, that argument is way, way misplaced, especially in a day when we are "restoring" airframes out of a few pieces of scrap metal and an ID number.
                              Last edited by Randy Haskin; 12-22-2008, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X