Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most beautiful prewar ( WW II ) fighter ac ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most beautiful prewar ( WW II ) fighter ac ?

I go for this..how about you ?

Renard R-37

http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Re: Most beautiful prewar ( WW II ) fighter ac ?

Everyone know that the answer is Curtiss P-6e
    Attached Files

Comment

The ONLY answer is the P-39 Airacobra.

Sexiest piston fighter ever designed. Too bad looks didn\'t equate to performance or lethality.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim
        The ONLY answer is the P-39 Airacobra.

Sexiest piston fighter ever designed. Too bad looks didn\'t equate to performance or lethality.

That dont count as Pre-war in my book!

Or pretty!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus
          That dont count as Pre-war in my book!

Or pretty!

Designed in 1937, first flown in 1938, and in service with the Army Air Corps in 1939 BEFORE Germany invaded Poland.

Not sure what book you\'re reading, but you might want to check it\'s accuracy.

If The Golden Age of Air Racing was Pre-War....and lasted through 1939, I\'d say that a design that came out the same year as Roscoe Turner\'s Meteor, Keith Rider R-4 Firecracker, and Art Chester\'s Goon most certainly counts as Pre-war.

Comment

Heinkel He-100 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_100
            Last edited by bergschrund; 12-18-2008, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I'm with Big Jim. The Airacobra was without doubt the slickest thing flying anywhere even through WWII. Could it have been fast and lethal? Sure. All it needed was power. If our very own military wise guys had not shackled it with no turbo or supercharger it might have been a different story. Imagine it with a Packard Merlin. Whew! Lethality? How do you beat a big ole cannon hosing straight ahead? It could have made heros of crosseyed cowboys.
              Oh what could have been.

Comment

I understand what your saying, and I know the p-39 was in service before the invasion of Poland.

When I think pre-war I exclude anything that took part in said war.

How can you argue with this?
                Attached Files

Comment

Northrop's Gamma was a pretty machine for it's day...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Grumman Duck.

Comment

That R-37 looks just like the Yak 11.
                      CFI/CFII/MEI
                      www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                      www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

How about FW 190 A..looking like R-37...landing gear.

Hurricane rudder and La-7 wing ?
                        Last edited by First time Juke; 12-19-2008, 01:49 AM.
                        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

When I think pre-war I exclude anything that took part in said war.

How can you argue with this?
                          Easily. With this.

So basically anything that was designed in the 1930\'s...even like the 6 P-26\'s that were in service during the war...you wouldn\'t consider \'pre-war\' huh?

I think your thought process is flawed. Just my opinion.

Using that logic, if you asked what my favorite \'cold war\' Bomber was, I couldn\'t say the B-52...since even though it first flew in the 1950\'s in the height of the cold war, it was used to bomb Tora Bora in 2001 and therefore doesn\'t count, right?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim
                            Easily. With this.

So basically anything that was designed in the 1930\'s...even like the 6 P-26\'s that were in service during the war...you wouldn\'t consider \'pre-war\' huh?

I think your thought process is flawed. Just my opinion.

Using that logic, if you asked what my favorite \'cold war\' Bomber was, I couldn\'t say the B-52...since even though it first flew in the 1950\'s in the height of the cold war, it was used to bomb Tora Bora in 2001 and therefore doesn\'t count, right?
                            dude, calm yourself down. I was asking how can you argue the the Hawk.

Your b-52 would be considered cold war, because it took part in the cold war. If i asked what your favortite post cold war bomber was, you could not answer b-52, because it took part in the cold war even though it saw service afterward. Get it??

Last edited by flyingjibus; 12-19-2008, 01:46 PM.

Comment

dude, calm yourself down. I was asking how can you argue the the Hawk.

Your b-52 would be considered cold war, because it took part in the cold war. If i asked what your favortite post cold war bomber was, you could not answer b-52, because it took part in the cold war even though it saw service afterword. Get it??

My name is not dude. It is James Slade. You can also call me \'sir\', if you prefer. Many good people have rendered me that courtesy, so please do not disrespect me or them by calling me dude.

It\'s nothing personal. You\'re just trying to prove your point, and it ends up sounding more and more desperate. All Juke asked was what was \"my\" favorite pre-war (WWII) fighter. There were no conditions and/or qualifications. Thus, the P-39 is my choice, because it fits the criteria by being designed and produced before WWII.

The BUFF would qualify as a Cold War bomber, a Vietnam era bomber, and a modern bomber...just as the Mustang is considered a WWI and Korean War era fighter. Do you consider the Bearcat a WWII or a Vietnam era fighter? I say it\'s both. You can\'t pidgeon hole them to be mutually exclusive.

Mr. Sagar, I\'m sorry if it feels like this is getting out of hand. Not my intention to start a pissing contest. I\'ll leave this thread at that. Its not worth starting an argument over.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X