A little critical nostalgia....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little critical nostalgia....

Hey all, found this on youtube.... cool vid for the BMB/CM fans..

race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Re: A little critical nostalgia....

If I remember correctly this was after the disappointing year where a supposedly "new" engine had self destructed. That motor was made of used parts according to Tom when all components were expected to be new. This motor was a gem.

Comment

That would be the same motor that Won 2007 in the Bear, and gave up its all in 2008.

I know they where not happy together in 07 till Sunday afternoon, (Engine and Airframe), but in 08 it had all it could take.

Comment

Damn that sounded mean though. Gave me a little twinge when it first lit off.
        Not to change the subject but, why do people insist on using these high shutter speeds when making videos? Just looks wrong with the prop not blurred.
        "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk
          Not to change the subject but, why do people insist on using these high shutter speeds when making videos? Just looks wrong with the prop not blurred.
          Some cameras don't let you control shutter speed. In other cases, I suspect ignorance. Perhaps people mistakenly think they need a high shutter speed to capture a fast moving object. Actually that is correct, you just don't want to capture the prop so you want a slow shutter speed to let it blur. Not everyone is a videographer.

Returning to the original subject....2007
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bill@Interstell; 12-29-2008, 10:41 PM.
          Bill Garnett
          InterstellarDust
          Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

So does that mean put it on Portrait mode or what.
            My camera is pretty basic
            TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
              Some cameras don't let you control shutter speed. In other cases, I suspect ignorance. Perhaps people mistakenly think they need a high shutter speed to capture a fast moving object. Actually that is correct, you just don't want to capture the prop so you want a slow shutter speed to let it blur. Not everyone is a videographer.

Bill... that's an awesome segment.. VERY well shot!

I wish I could figure out shutter speed on my Sony camcorder... My old Canon had an actual, easy to figure out, "shutter speed" setting... On the Sony, I *think* it might be in "exposure" though, I've not researched it enough to figure it out..

When I shot the Bear A2A with it in '03, (clip is linked on the rarebear.com site) shutter was too fast.... didn't quite do the stop/back-and-forth thing, but it wasn't like it should have been..

With video, there really is no sense in high shutter speed.. if you move, you're going to blow the shot anyway..

Again, VERY nice pass, glad the upload link worked.. thanks for sharing!

Wayne Sagar
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Bill -- That is really impressive. Got any more?

What kind of camera are you using there? And does it have a manual shutter speed? Have you done this professionally?

Neal

Comment

Neal,

I've got lots more tape, but am much better at shooting than editing them post. I'm sure you know how that goes per the Sparky thread. Just ask Fenceliner or Jim Eberhardt. I've been promising them "footage" for some time.

Actually posting to this site is difficult because of the size limit. that's about as much as I can upload in one shot. Youtube holds more, but as I've said, I just never seem to have as much time on my hands as I'd like. I'm in the middle of having my 170B engine overhauled at Performance Engines and have a bunch of prep to do this week before the engine returns for example. I'll try to do better.

I'm shooting with a Canon XL2 now. I bought it to replace a Sony Hi8 about 3 years ago now and I love it. You have total control over shutter speed, Iris, frame rate, etc. The lens is fantastic. Too much zoom for up close but you can actually follow the race on the far side of the course.

The Hi8 goes back to 89. I shot VHS in 88. Before that it was Super 8 film. I also shot 35mm stills until I went to the dark side (digital) in 2007. I should probably have the old stuff transfered before it goes bad.

That clip was one of 12 tests I did using vairious format layouts and compression settings. I like it the best and it is one of the smallest files at 4.3 Mb. they ranged from 124 kb (for an iPhone 3gp file) up to 434.3 Mb for that same clip.

I'll see if I can squeeze in some video before all my vacation is gone.

Wayne,

You want more exposure (slower shutter speed) to eliminate prop strobe. Just fool with the settings as you shoot. I find what you see in the viewfinder is pretty much what you get on any camera I've used. Unfortunately, some point an shoot types don't let you control shutter.
                  Last edited by Bill@Interstell; 12-31-2008, 12:50 AM.
                  Bill Garnett
                  InterstellarDust

Comment

I'll see if I can squeeze in some video before all my vacation is gone.

Please , Please, Please!

That is some good footage. Steady Camara work from the VOS is a beautifull thing. there is some shots of 232 that are of that quality floating around on the net that are spectacular. Those yours as well?
                    Last edited by flyingjibus; 12-31-2008, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Hey Bill... I'll try fooling with the settings.. Camera was pretty cheap, can't remember the model but it's from '03.. Had a Canon Hi8, one of the really nice ones, thought I'd shoot the '03 mission for the Rare Bear folks with it... but when I took it out of its case after not using it for several years, it was toast... So I sprung for the Sony...

On the upload limits.. I'm perplexed on that, as I had it set up on the old server to allow more.. It's a PHP/MySql thing, rather than any"one" setting the limits.. I set them very high in the file that's supposed to control things but it still limits it to somewhere under 5mb.. I'll see what can be done..

Wayne Sagar
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sweet clip! Thanks for sharing with us.
                        "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus
                          Please , Please, Please!

That is some good footage. Steady Camara work from the VOS is a beautifull thing. there is some shots of 232 that are of that quality floating around on the net that are spectacular. Those yours as well?
                          I have 232 "footage" but I don't think I've posted any of it. there are a couple of others out there posting nice work. I don't know who shot the Voodoo they have on their web site, but I'm a fan!

Hey it's a new year. Maybe I'll turn over a new leaf and crank out some clips to celebrate the new year.
                          Bill Garnett
                          InterstellarDust

Comment

Bill, that is great footage i always look at the clips posted here and yours are always among the top 2 favourites
                            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Working...
                            X