500 mph lap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 mph lap?

On Monday of Race week this year, Skip Holm laid down a remarkable record qualifying lap. Scotty G. has what I think is the definitive photo of that lap, but I thought a further look at the event might be interesting, and perhaps provoke some discussion. Skip looked unusually serious and focussed as he taxied by the photo stand down at the end of the pit area...
    Attached Files

Skip made two runs on the clock. This shot, from the first run, shows him comfortably high and seemingly very quick...
    Attached Files

Comment

Jeez Neal.... THANK YOU! My jaw dropped when I read that.

Scotty G
      Scotty G

Comment

Scott -- You are a MUCH better photographer than you publicly give yourself credit for. For his second timed lap, Skip was much lower around the back of the course, and visibly accelerated downhill through the Valley of Speed. In this shot Skip appears a bit wide in setting up for the narrow chute down the home straight...
        Attached Files

Comment

Skip really shaved pylon 8...
          Attached Files

Comment

...and remained quite low and in a nearly vertical bank well down the straight. Such was Skip's clinic on how to do a 500 mph lap. Is this how to do it? Hey Bear Driver, Rhino, Dan, Matt J., Stu -- you have all toured this place at 440 plus... Any comments on Skip's technique???

Wingman
            Attached Files

Comment

Re: 500 mph lap?

Originally posted by wingman
              Scotty G. has what I think is the definitive photo of that lap...

What!? You mean *this* isn't it?!?!?

Grins & regards,

Mark J.

PS - Of course it's blurred - I was in the process of trying not to be knocked on my @ss by the thunderclap from Dago as she went by.

Comment

He was really close to 8!! I'm impressed -- whatever its technical qualities, that photo really captures the moment !

Neal

Comment

UH HUH!

I agree with Neal - that photo actually speaks a lot to that lap!

Scotty G
                  Cold and Lonely in Detriot. Kill me now...
                  Scotty G

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                    He was really close to 8!! I'm impressed -- whatever its technical qualities, that photo really captures the moment !

Neal
                    I'm actually barely visible standing behind the white car a bit to "the right" of 8 in your photo, Neal.

I did get a couple of clean shots of Dago's high first lap, and a couple more of the record-setting lap, too - they're over on airrace.org in the galleries.

I never heard anything like the sound that Dago made going by - much more explosive than the roar made by most of the fast Unlimiteds out there.

Cheers,

MJ

PS - Scott - safe trip home to the sunshine. . .

Comment

ARN'T THOSE ALL TRICK PHTOS??????????

DA DOC

Comment

AREN'T YOURS ALL TRICK MTORS ???

The Wingman

Comment

Originally posted by THE DOCTOR
                          ARN'T THOSE ALL TRICK PHTOS??????????

DA DOC
                          Not sure if that was directed at me or not, but if you are referring to photos on airrace.org, none of them have been altered except for the usual cropping, color and brightness adjustments, and removal of specks on the image from dust on the camera sensor.

Any other questions?

Mark J.

Comment

Nice shots guys... but...

Hey, those are all gret shots, though I happened to get one that showed the "traffic" Skip had to contend with and may have slowed him down a bit--costing him the 500mph lap. So RARA may want to examine this new evidence and reevaluate the "offical" timing-- Skip was technically the *second* fastest qualifier.

Kraz
                            Attached Files

Comment

Skip without a doubt has the method. He was the first to break the magic 450 in Jennie. He'll most likely be the first to break 500.

Comment

Working...
                              X