Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space Shuttle on top of a 747 landing video.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Shuttle on top of a 747 landing video.

Short video showing the 747 carrying the Space Shuttle on it's back and landing.

Do they have to strip the Space Shuttle of excess weight to make it flyable on the 747, like the heavy stuff, motors, electronics...or can they just crane it up there and fly away?

Is the 747 carrying it's maximum capacity or can it carry more?

Does it have larger engines or are they stockers?
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 12-11-2008, 01:05 PM.

Re: Space Shuttle on top of a 747 landing video.

I don't think they strip anything out. I do know that the 747 is very speed limited, something like 250 kts with the shuttle on board and not much more without. Takes 3 fuel stops to get it back to Florida.

I'll be down at Edwards again next month and I'll ask then...supposed to get a flight deck tour.
    Red
    chanting...400+

Comment

A few years ago I got to sit right under the departure path of the NASA 747 with the shuttle on it's back... I also managed to get a handful of photos during the event. Pretty dang cool.
      As to what configuration the shuttle is in, I'll let someone more knowledgable answer that one.

For more go HERE
      Last edited by Stevo; 12-11-2008, 09:41 PM.
      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
      My Photos
      My Ride

Comment

great picture!

Comment

Both SCA's (Shuttle Carrier Aircraft) are 747-100's. One is a 100SR. The 747 themselves are lightened. Yesterday we had several fly-bys at JSC as a salute to the men and women who help with the shuttle program. They are approximately 25-45k lbs. lighter than a commercial variant. With Endeavor aboard you add an additional 175k lbs. The 747-100 still would have about 210k lbs. more that it could carry. The engines are standard P&W JT9D's. The 747 is limited in speed and altitude to 250 knots, mach 0.6, and altitude by way of 15 degrees F. This means it burns a heck of a lot of fuel. This flight went from Edwards to El Paso to Ft. Worth, over Houston, and then to Barksdale and will continue on today if the weather is good to the Cape.

Comment

Nothing is removed from Shuttle for the ferry flight.

Comment

But something is added

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                Nothing is removed from Shuttle for the ferry flight.
                Although the engines are removed to allow the fairing to be installed.

Comment

"Although the engines are removed to allow the fairing to be installed."

Don't want to start an argument..........but that isn't true. Refer to the NASA web site to confirm.

Kevin

Comment

Oooop

You are correct. They just redirect the nozzles to the center in order to clear the fairing.

Comment

Working...
                    X