PDA

View Full Version : A Skyfire question

wingman
12-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I want to get myself a Christmas present. I have a couple of ratty beat up old Skyfire tapes, and would like to replace them with DVD and get some more. I cannot justify to myself getting very many while my retirement investment accounts are being so brutally savaged by the idiotic political mistakes of the last decade on both sides of the border. I know some of the series have been criticised over the years for being more air show than racing, and for other reasons.

I suspect that many here own and/or have seen all of them.

Which are your favourites -- both from a quality of footage standpoint and from a "racing vs other crap" viewpoint?

If you could only own 6 or 8 of them, which would they be??

Please include the Hamilton Race and Tsunami record attempt DVDs in your answers...

Thanks...

Neal

retroaviation
12-05-2008, 01:07 PM
1992......the onboard camera footage of Rare Bear's engine saying "bye-bye," along with the subsequent emergency landing, was impressive.

Gary

PS Neal, check your Private Messages........

wingman
12-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Reply sent, my friend...

dvddude
12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Is the Skyfire company still in business? I too, would like to get some of the series on DVD, but are they even still available or do I have to buy them second hand off of ebay or similar?

sierra fox
12-05-2008, 01:39 PM
1992......the onboard camera footage of Rare Bear's engine saying "bye-bye," along with the subsequent emergency landing, was impressive.

Gary

PS Neal, check your Private Messages........

Agree'd, '88, '89 (which cannot be duplicated for some reason) and '95 would be my choices. :thumbsup:

wingman
12-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Yes, they do seem to be available -- their web site is rather incomprehensible to me at least, but I called this number and got a very cheerful guy who said all are available on DVD at this time, and they are taking phone orders...

1-775-323-0965

or this number is also listed but I couldn't get through to it from up here:

1-800-852-2330

ebutner
12-05-2008, 01:56 PM
I have most of the tapes, but my VCR is dead. Rats.

laminar
12-05-2008, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=retroaviation]1992......the onboard camera footage of Rare Bear's engine saying "bye-bye," along with the subsequent emergency landing, was impressive.]

GREAT CHOICE!! and then Lyle saying "go get em tiger" not to mention some great footage of Jon Sharp Beating up on the pack.

OOH it soo good

wardog
12-05-2008, 08:21 PM
'89, '91, Tsunami, White Lightnin' and Hoover :)

I haven't watched the Skyfire vids in years........I think I'll have to buy some myself :)

Ken from PG
12-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Don't forget Phantom with Rick Vandam.

KAHNZILLA
12-08-2008, 09:41 AM
What year did Dave Price flying his mustang "Dago Red" cut a pylon with Strega on his tail? That was a great race. KC

Jason S.
12-08-2008, 11:13 PM
What year did Dave Price flying his mustang "Dago Red" cut a pylon with Strega on his tail? That was a great race. KC
I think that was 96.

BellCobraIV
12-10-2008, 05:47 AM
[QUOTE=retroaviation]1992......the onboard camera footage of Rare Bear's engine saying "bye-bye," along with the subsequent emergency landing, was impressive.]

GREAT CHOICE!! and then Lyle saying "go get em tiger" not to mention some great footage of Jon Sharp Beating up on the pack.

Lyle saying "go get em tiger", As an historic side note. That was not Lyle that said that. Lyle was a bit busy at the time trying to get all that scrap metal down in the right location. If you watch that video carefully you can tell at the point the runway he was trying for became not a viable option, and he switched to the closer runway in worse condition. Lyle has told me he did not say that.

Big_Jim
12-10-2008, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=laminar]

Lyle saying \"go get em tiger\", As an historic side note. That was not Lyle that said that. Lyle was a bit busy at the time trying to get all that scrap metal down in the right location. If you watch that video carefully you can tell at the point the runway he was trying for became not a viable option, and he switched to the closer runway in worse condition. Lyle has told me he did not say that.

Next thing you\'re going to try to sell us, Mr. Slack, is that Lyle and Darryl never shook hands.

Any bridges for sale?

Jim