Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alley Cat / Aloha Question

Hi Guys and Gals,

Looking for a vector here. Does anybody have ANY information on the wood taperwing that Vince De Luca built for N1VD back in the 70s? Any plans, drawings, sketches, pictures....ANYTHING would be most helpful and appreciated. Pictures during construction would be a dream come true (very long shot, I know). I am pretty sure that the pre carbon wing was an Owl wing. Not sure if it is an OW-7, OW-71 or just exactly what it is. I am interested in the spar structure namely, but absolutely ANYTHING will help.

Thanks in advance,

Race 121

Re: Alley Cat / Aloha Question

I had a chance to see an Owl wing spar up close at one point in my life.

As I recall, the original OR-71 wooden wing had a 20' span, just over 2' at the tip and approximately 4.25' at the cord with a nearly symmetrical taper ratio of about 2:1. The wing was at least 15-16% thickness at the cord, pretty fat by today's standards. The spar was was set at about 30% of the cord so it must have been about 7" in height X approximately 4" width, maybe 4 or 5 lamination's of VG Douglass fir or Spruce.

What was interesting to me is that it used an auxiliary spar forward of the main spar that was about 2" X 3" that attached to the top longeron on each side. No loading was carried at the trailing edge and the TE wasn't attached at the longeron. The main spar was not attached like a Cassutt's spar w/plates and 2 long bolts on each side, rather it used a single bolt, one each side through the center of the main spar. On each side of the main spar were 2 narrow (no more than 1") and thin (.049")4130 straps about 4" tall which the spar bolts passed through. Very light, all that was needed.

The entire airplane was beautifully designed, light and elegant but, by no means simple. An Owl must have been a bear to build but it was a delight to fly.

Hope that helps
    Dennis

Comment

Working...
    X