Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griffon 37 Liter V12 & Merlin 27 Liter V12 running on test stands video link.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon 37 Liter V12 & Merlin 27 Liter V12 running on test stands video link.

You tube video link of the two motors running on test stands from a 2007 UK show and some text re the motors from the comment section.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

the left engine is a griffon, the right one is a merlin.

The Griffon is a 37 litre V12 engine with power ranging from about 1700 to 2400 hp. It was used in a number of military aircraft.

The Rolls Royce Merlin is a 27 litre V12 engine which came in many marks from, say, 1936 to 1947. It was used in a number of aircraft during that period, mainly military. Power ranged from 900 to well over 2000 hp. The Meteor is a downrated Merlin, without supercharger etc. Power is about 650 hp. It was used in Centurion tanks.

Q: does anyone know how the contra props worked? i can never find anything about it.
    A: On the front of the engine there is a gear case that split engine power to two concentric shafts. The gears have a herringbone pattern to them. One set of gears powers the rear prop, the other the front. The gears receive full pressure oil at all times of engine operation.

They aren't props mate they are engine run load paddels, they put load and flywheel effect on the engine but produce very little airflow. They are about half the size that would be fitted in an aircraft for flight.
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 11-24-2008, 08:14 PM.

Re: Griffon 37 Liter V12 & Merlin 27 Liter V12 running on test stands video link.

I would LOVE to have one of these sitting in my garage. Imagine the fun that could be had on weekends pulling that thing out a firing it up! My neighbors would love me
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

Re: Griffon 37 Liter V12 & Merlin 27 Liter V12 running on test stands video link.

Originally posted by Stevo
      I would LOVE to have one of these sitting in my garage. Imagine the fun that could be had on weekends pulling that thing out a firing it up! My neighbors would love me
      "Can I borrow the 'leaf blower'?"
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Very cool, thanks, the Griffon never sounds right to me, i know this is how they sound, Precious Metal never sounded right either. Red Baron, on the other hand.....
        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Speaking of the Red Baron, here is a video from 1979 showing low altitude speed attempts.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The text from the video.

This is a short compilation of the famous Red Baron RB-51's highly modified P-51 Mustang world record speed attempt in 1979 near Tonopah, Nevada USA. I thought this video was long lost to public access until an online friend came up with this footage (thanks, Anthony!). It has been through several generations of past video reproduction techniques and it shows, but the essence still remains untarnished; just listen to that sound of the Rolls-Royce Griffon 58 engine and the contra-rotating props! That is pilot Steve Hinton speaking in in the video. Steve and the Red Baron achieved an average speed of 499.018 mph for the required 4 runs over the measured portion of the course for a new world record. The rules stipulate that an altitude of no greater that 100 meters above ground level was to be exeeded during the attempt, but it appears that Steve actually never went above approximately 150 feet altitude AGL on the measured portion of the course. This is really, really hairy at those speeds, yikes!

Much more detailed information, along with some quality still photos that I took back then of the Red Baron are available at a posting that I made at another website: http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/show...

Another video titled:
          "Steve Hinton on Flying the Red Baron RB-51 Unlimited Racer"
          Steve Hinton describes his days flying the famous Red Baron highly modified P-51 unlimited racer in 1978-79. Taken on February 3, 2007 at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California.
          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 11-25-2008, 07:05 PM.

Comment

WOW! I think that's the first time I've heard the Red Baron in flight like that... what a song she was singing
            Last edited by Stevo; 11-25-2008, 11:48 PM. Reason: changed "RB" to "Red Baron", did want someone to think "RB" was for "Rare Bear"... even though I really dig Rare Bear too...
            Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
            My Photos
            My Ride

Comment

ABC Wide World of Sports coverage here:

I could not get the Key Publishing link to work -- does it work for other people here??

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta
                Speaking of the Red Baron, here is a video from 1979 showing low altitude speed attempts.

The text from the video.

This is a short compilation of the famous Red Baron RB-51's highly modified P-51 Mustang world record speed attempt in 1979 near Tonopah, Nevada USA. I thought this video was long lost to public access until an online friend came up with this footage (thanks, Anthony!). It has been through several generations of past video reproduction techniques and it shows, but the essence still remains untarnished; just listen to that sound of the Rolls-Royce Griffon 58 engine and the contra-rotating props! That is pilot Steve Hinton speaking in in the video. Steve and the Red Baron achieved an average speed of 499.018 mph for the required 4 runs over the measured portion of the course for a new world record. The rules stipulate that an altitude of no greater that 100 meters above ground level was to be exeeded during the attempt, but it appears that Steve actually never went above approximately 150 feet altitude AGL on the measured portion of the course. This is really, really hairy at those speeds, yikes!

Much more detailed information, along with some quality still photos that I took back then of the Red Baron are available at a posting that I made at another website: http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/show...

Another video titled:
                "Steve Hinton on Flying the Red Baron RB-51 Unlimited Racer"
                Steve Hinton describes his days flying the famous Red Baron highly modified P-51 unlimited racer in 1978-79. Taken on February 3, 2007 at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39scr...eature=related
                Thanks, those video's are from my collection (and posted w/out my permission ), what an awesome racer
                Last edited by sierra fox; 11-26-2008, 05:29 AM.
                "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                  ABC Wide World of Sports coverage here:

I could not get the Key Publishing link to work -- does it work for other people here??

Neal
                  Thanks for posting that video Neal.
                  Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                  My Photos
                  My Ride

Comment

Working...
                  X