Mickey Rupp's Racer#5 - OLD CROW / SAMURAI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mickey Rupp's Racer#5 - OLD CROW / SAMURAI

This year's exciting unveiling of Jack Roush's incredible Malcolm Hood canopied P-51B razorback Mustang in the colors of WW2 Ace- Bud Anderson's 'Old Crow', deservedly-garnered a huge amount of media attention worldwide. Anderson's D-model 'Crow' has also been a popular subject for Mustang restorers previously, to a lesser-degree.

As this wonderful forum's primary focus is 'air racing', it's surprising that there's been scant mention of Mickey Rupp's P-51D Unlimited Air Racer of the past- #5 OLD CROW (NL551MR), & a.k.a. it's followup renamed- SAMURAI.

So, I'd like to hereby submit a mini-archive photo gallery of both versions of Mickey's Mustang racer, to hopefully remedy this oversight a wee bit, and for the edification & enjoyment of AAFO site goers.

With that spirit in mind, I must add that watching Mickey race his P-51 during its' brief tenure, provided some of my most favorite fan experiences in following air racing events over the past 34-consecutive years. What a stick man Mickey was out on the racecourse!

Had Rupp's team encountered better luck & fewer major mechanical setbacks, they might-well have won themselves at least one Reno Unlimited Gold trophy during their highly-competitive campaign, which displayed continual innovative development & refinement of their formidable Mustang, to make it go faster every year. A 'BIG Thanks' goes out to the Rupp family & team members for all your efforts, which added much flair to Unlimited Air Racing's colorful history. DBD

Top row photos (L-R):

1. Nose art of WW2 Ace- Bud Anderson's P-51D fighter- OLD CROW is prominent in this Reno '91 shot.

2. Mon. 9/19/88: Mickey Rupp taking-off, on his post-event departure from Stead Field, for return flight back to his Florida home base.

3. Sun. 9/18/88: Rupp drives OLD CROW down Reno's fast West Chute during the Silver Race for a 5th-place finish for the rookie racer @ 385.809-av/mph.

4 & 5. Sun. 9/10/89: Race #5 arrives at Reno '89 ready to race, with a spare race Merlin engine loaded inside the team's equipment trailer.

Middle row (L-R):

1 & 2. Thurs. 9/14/89: OLD CROW bores down along the V-O-S past the W. Guide Pylon during UNL HT-1A to finish 4th. Note #5's clipped wings w/Hoerner tips.

3. Sun. 9/17/89: Rupp turns Outer 8 Pylon during the Bronze final, and finishes third, but is moved to last for low flying.

4 & 5. Sat. 9/7/91: OLD CROW in profile, following her arrival at Reno '91, sporting new race mods, including new prop & spinner, and new wingtips. Qualifying in the 8th-slot, #5 joined the '400 Club' by posting a speed of 419.196-mph.

Bottom row (L-R):

1. Sat. 9/7/91: L/H gear door detail listing crew names, which includes some air racing notables.

2. Fri. 9/13/91: OLD CROW gets a sunset test run of her new replacement race Merlin, following a motor swap required after throwing two rods out the side during Thursday's UNL HT-1A Pace Lap.

3. Sun. 9/15/91: Mickey flies The CROW past the W. Guide Pylon during the Silver Race to 2nd-place @ 409.125-av/mph, during a super-duel throughout w/leader Gary Levitz's P-51D #38 Miss Ashley.

Mickey Rupp & #5 OLD CROW came back strong during Reno '92 competition - posting 420-430 av/mph race speeds in all their heats, w/a 5th-place in the Gold Final, and establishing the team as serious championship contenders.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 11-21-2008, 07:56 PM.

Re: Mickey Rupp's Racer#5 - OLD CROW / SAMURAI

For Reno '93, Mickey Rupp, w/the blessing of his good friend Bud Anderson, chose to further revamp his racing Mustang by dropping its' historic WW2 Ace-mount ID & look, in favor of a bold & fast-looking new race plane color scheme & new name- "SAMURAI", w/additional racing modifications. The name was actually inspired by Mickey's Dalmation dog's name (though Mickey called him- "Sam", for short).

Race #5's debut in its' new guise at Reno '93 was inauspicious & uneventful, at least as far as a competing Unlimited, after blowing its' first race engine right from the git-go, due to major problems w/new high-mod piston setups. Rupp & his crew then prudently-parked their backup race engine, which was also prepared using the 'trick' pistons, and installed their stock ferry Merlin instead. The stock motor was lunched during #5's failed qualifying attempt. Merlin gremlins continued plaguing the Samurai Warriors at the Kansas Air Races later in October.

Mickey Rupp elected not to compete at Reno '94, because of RARA's switch-over to adopt dual event- GOLD & SUPER GOLD Unlimited Class races. He couldn't make it to the innaugural Phoenix 500 Air Races in March '94, after suffering a bird strike during high-speed runs in Florida.

Rupp brought #5 SAMURAI back to Reno competition for 1995, once again as a real contender- qualifying 6th & finishing a strong 4th-place in every Gold Heat and in the Gold Championship final. The future looked very bright for Mickey Rupp & the #5 Team, but alas, it wasn't in the cards. Fate intervened on 2/12/96, when a mis-adjusted carburetor caused SAMURAI to be destroyed in a crash landing & post-crash fire at Palm City, Florida. Luckily, Mickey survived but decided to quit air racing for good.

Here's a mini-gallery to honor Mickey Rupp & his P-51D Mustang Racer in its' final racing colors - seen at Reno '93 & '95 NCAR. Mickey Rupp- entrepeneur-inventor-sportsman-auto racer-aviator & air racing pilot, will always be a class act in all his pursuits. On behalf of air racing fans at-large: "Thank You, SIR!"

Top row photos (L-R):

1. Sat. 9/9/95: "SAMURAI SWORD" - is Race #5's highly-polished custom racing propellor during sunset at Stead Field.

2, 3, 4 & 5. Sat. 9/18/93: Mickey Rupp taxis-out and makes a test flight in SAMURAI, after installation of new replacement stock Merlin pistons, furnished by Jack Hovey, to fix the ferry engine broken during failed Q-run for flight back to Florida after the races. (Note: That's engine man- Rick Schanholtzer standing at left off the wingtip, there in photo 2)

Middle row (L-R):

1 & 2. Sat. 9/9/95: L/H profile & 3/4-frontal view of Race #5 SAMURAI at sunset on the ramp at Stead, show off the attractive sleek racing color scheme of NL551MR.

3. Sat. 9/9/95: Detail of L/H landing gear showing sharp-looking chrome work appointments.

4. Thur. 9/14/95: Rupp takes SAMURAI down the West Chute near the Guide Pylon during UNL HT-1A (4th-place @ 395.990-av/mph).

5. Fri. 9/15/95: SAMURAI turns Outer 4 Pylon during Lap-2 of UNL HT-2A (4th-place @ 410.945-av/mph), looking every inch a Gold Trophy contender.

Bottom row (L-R):

1. Mon. 9/11/95: Rupp taxis out Race #5 for Unlimited Class Qualification & Practice period. Mickey qualified SAMURAI in the 6th-position slot @ 422.818-mph.

2. Sat. 9/16/95: Mickey Rupp & #5 SAMURAI going around Outer 4 Pylon during Lap-6 of UNL HT-3A (4th-place @ 385.434-av/mph - #5 went on to finish 4th in Sunday's Gold Final @ 420.031-av/mph).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 06-07-2010, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Whatever happened to Mickey Rupp? Is he still alive? If not, how long ago?

Comment

That prop is sweet!!!

Comment

VERY cool stuff Bucky!!!!
          Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
          RIP 03/17/10

Comment

I have video of it in the Samurai scheme doing an evening engine run. At high power settings it was LOUD! The water is blowing back and the tail feathers looked like they were going to shake off. Real cool. Loved the Samurai paint and that pointed spinner.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Great shots & history. Mickey & crew contributed a lot to air racing & it was always a joy to see it fly as it evolved over the years.
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Bucky D,

Can you please private message or email me your phone number.

Thanks, RG
                Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Great thread guys. I keep a photo album of lost airplanes (which I haven't updated lately- it's painful) and sadly Mickey's airplane is one of them. God it's too many to list and only ones I've seen since 86.

John

Comment

SAMURAI was a beauty especially the spinner

It was a sad loss when it burned down. I remember looking at the callaway cam drive and thinking "well its pretty anyway" Mickey replied yeah...but it doesn't work worth a !@#$%
                    Last edited by JET1; 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks DBD,

One of my favotrite Mustangs, i was fortunate to see it fly in 95, what a sweet machine.

I think i asked this here or there before, do you have a shot of Rupp's A-26 and this Mustang when they had matching paint schemes? (black and red IIRC)
                      "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Always liked that one. I especially dug the pointed spinner. Just made it look "racy". Like Roto-Finish. Someone mentioned in another thread that the pointy spinner creates more drag than the factory rounded one, that's why the likes of Dago and Strega don't run 'em. Man they sure would look cool with 'em IMO.
                        "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Micky Rupp was a nice man and gentleman. He was very cool and so was his crew.

Frank C.

Comment

Parts of Samuri continue to fly on today. In 1997, Mickey sold off the racing parts which were not on the airframe at the time of the crash. I purchased the parts to use on Moonbeam at Reno. I bought the coolant scoop, extended coolant door, windshield fairing, thick dorsal fairing, wing tips and short ailerons, cut down canopy and various pumps / hoses. Prior to Reno 99, I had a famous Mustang sheet metalist, 'Ski', rebuild the scoop. He dropped the scoop inlet away from the boundary layer to resemble a P-51H scoop. It has 15% less frontal area. After Reno 2001, I sold my parts to Miss America and also Stu Eberhardt (sp). Miss America is currently flying the inlet scoop and the wing tips/short ailerons. Stu has the coolant door and the dorsal fin. I still have the canopy and pumps/hose.
                            A little race history minutiae.
                            VL

Comment

BIG THANKS, Vlado!

I was hoping you'd fill-in these details. We ALWAYS appreciate all the great info & insights that you kindly share with us.

Some site goers were interested in knowing about Mickey Rupp's life following his hangin' up his Mustang racing spurs. Can you fill us in a little bit, please?

DBD
                              Last edited by BuckyD; 11-24-2008, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X