Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutaway of a Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major Radial Aircraft Engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutaway of a Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major Radial Aircraft Engine.

All rotary fans should own one of these in their living room. Video and audio of a cutaway engine.
    I was wondering what the crank shaft on a twenty-eight cylinder radial engine looked like. While visiting the Hiller Aviation Museum I found a powered cutaw...

Listen to the sound effects of the intertia starter of this one at 2:12-2:14 called: Cold start 1000 hp radial engine.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

It reminds me of the sound effects that you hear when the 3 Stooges are starting the engine of their airplane 37-50 seconds into part 2 here:
    Jokes - Rumors - Etc. Keep it clean but keep it here. Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system.

And another one called: How a Radial Engine Works. Look for the flashing red light at the inside of the top of each cylinder which tells you that it is firing.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 11-20-2008, 09:53 PM.

Re: Cutaway of a Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major Rotary Aircraft Engine.

This is just wrong... This is worse than actually understanding how television's or... COMPUTERS WORK!

Look... it's just a fact of life.. these things are magic and are not to be understood by mere mortals....

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

"Radial" engine...not "rotary". Pretty significant difference.

Cool videos!

Comment

Re: Cutaway of a Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major Radial Aircraft Engine.

Gotta love the 3350!

Hope i got the link right

Doc

Comment

Magic?,.....Nahhhh.

Are they alive, with a mind of their own sometimes? You betcha. Sweet-talk might be required to get through a really TOUGH race...

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
            "Radial" engine...not "rotary". Pretty significant difference.

Cool videos!
            That's not to say they never tried a 28-cylinder rotary (from enginehistory.org):

Rotary Corncob

Rotary Corncob 2

Comment

Any airplane with that in it must have flown in a constant slow roll from the centrifugal forces!
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Is there a video of a running rotary radial engine?

What year, how long and why was a rotating radial engine built as compared to a fixed radial engine?

Which way would the engine rotate, (if you are in the cockpit facing forward) and which way would the plane want to roll?

Comment

When Evan was interviewing Chuck Wentworth, I asked him about the torque trying to roll the plane. He said it was insignificant as I recall. Of course this is with a 80-110 hp 9 cylinder). More of an issue was the on/off throttle via the ignition!

here's Evan's interview

scroll to the bottom and check out the animated GIF of a Gnome

Tim
                  http://evanflys.com/

Comment

3350 Tractor

Originally posted by De Camara
                    Gotta love the 3350!

Hope i got the link right

Doc
                    That's just wrong. Cool but, wrong. I'm really torn here. I love the sound and action of the large aircraft recips powering boats, tractors, whatever but, I think I lean more towards their intended use. These guys are gonna burn up the supply of radials like their use (misuse?) of Allisons. Won't be long before you see a 4360 tractor!
                    I guess I'm a hypocrite. I LOVE 'em in boats! Why not bring the "thunder" back to thunderboat racing! 4360 powered hydro anyone? Use water spray as a cooling medium?
                    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta
                      Is there a video of a running rotary radial engine?
                      Here's one (the strobe effects of the camera on the propeller are noteworthy):
                      2:nd start since 1915 - 1920 (dont know exactly) by Mikael Carlson and Mattias Jönsson 2007080316.000 cc

What year, how long and why was a rotating radial engine built as compared to a fixed radial engine?
                      Just about all the radials in World War 1 were rotarys, due to their superior cooling over fixed radials of the day. Air-cooled engine technology wasn't very advanced yet.

Which way would the engine rotate, (if you are in the cockpit facing forward)...
                      Depends on the model and manufacturer of the engine.

..and which way would the plane want to roll?
                      Opposite of the rotation of the engine/prop. Gyroscopic forces of that heavy spinning "flywheel" up front have quite an effect on handling too.

Comment

Re: 3350 Tractor

Originally posted by hm66sk
                        Won't be long before you see a 4360 tractor!
                        If we do, believe it or not, it won't be the biggest radial engine to power a pulling tractor. Get a load of Dragon Fire, powered by a Zvezda 42-cylinder Russian marine radial. It is apparently converted from diesel to gasoline, since it has plug wires all over it. This engine has a cylinder bore and stroke close to Wright R-3350 size:

Dragon Fire

Sorry about veering a bit further OT.
                        Last edited by 88SC; 11-24-2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

No apology needed. I'm always interested in unusual or unique engines, especially huge radials. Much thanx.

A little searching located a large group of photos of the engine and vehicle construction. That IS a big radial isn't it? Too heavy for aviation?

Photo link: http://picasaweb.google.de/tractorpu...ingDragonFire#

Comment

Check this out from "Janes Marine Propulsion":
                            The Zvezda Production Association was founded in 1932 as a large production engineering company.Located on a 70 ha site near the Neva river in St Petersburg, the facilities at the Zvezda complex consist of a design bureau, metallurgical division, foundry, light forging, machining division, assembly and test division and a repair division.As a diesel engine manufacturer, Zvezda has a unique product programme of diesel engines in V and radial configurations for marine and industrial applications. In addition to engines of conventional in-line six and V12-cylinder configurations, the company produces a remarkable 42 and 56-cylinder radial diesel engine series. At the top of the range is a 112-cylinder radial (two 56-cylinder engines back to back) producing up to 7,360 kW (9,866 hp) at 2,000 rpm.Zvezda engines are of low specific weights and high volumetric powers, making them particularly suitable for military and civil high-speed boats and ships where compact and powerful power plants are specified. Zvezda engines have a virtual monopoly of all the hovercraft and hydrofoils operated in countries of the Russian Federation and Associated States (CIS).Following a restructuring in 1993, the company became the Joint Stock Company Zvezda
                            In case you missed it:
                            At the top of the range is a 112-cylinder radial (two 56-cylinder engines back to back) producing up to 7,360 kW (9,866 hp) at 2,000 rpm.
                            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

112? Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez! That's a lot of pieces flailing around.
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X