Learning from nature !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning from nature !

MediaSight writes "Shortfin mako sharks can shoot through the ocean at up to 50 miles per hour (80 kilometres an hour). Now a trick that helps them to reach such speeds has been discovered — the sharks can raise their scales to create tiny wells across the surface of their skin, reducing drag ...

Sharks use golf ball like dimples formation on their skin to go faster.
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Re: Learning from nature !

Didn't there used to be a company several years ago that used some "dimple tape" on Stearmans or something to try to prove the point that dimples work better on wing surfaces than just a slick wing?
    I dunno, maybe I'm just imagining that.

Gary

Comment

Just a few months ago I was checking out some of the aircraft at the Golden West EAA Fly-In. I noticed that some of the planes had tape with a ridge imbedded in it (I can't remember now if it was in a straight line or zig-zagged) around different parts of the airframe. Wish now that I would have snapped a picture of it.
      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
      My Photos
      My Ride

Comment

Like this maybe ?
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've heard it explained in aviation magazines that surface projections (or dimples as used on Golf balls) induce tiny vortices in the airflow that help it cling-to and follow curved surfaces, reducing it's tendency to break free and become turbulent.

In one case, flush-fitting countersunk Phillips-head screws were replaced with button head versions on the upper, outboard portion of a wing, and the alierons became more effective at slower speeds.

Comment

Working...
          X