Mustang winglets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang winglets

Can anyone point me in the right direction for more information on the winglets used on racers such as Strega or Voodoo?
    What size engine is that?
    VFA-113 Stingers

Re: Mustang winglets

Here is wiki about winglets.

Never heard of a Mustang with winglets.

Why did U-2 have an underside fence on the wingtip ? A-10 has also wing "bent" down at the tip...why ?

Will it increase lift ?

More winglet data:

Last edited by First time Juke; 11-07-2008, 12:26 PM.
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Me thinks he's talking about the various wingtip treatments on the clipped wing racers. There are plenty of experts here! I,ve kinda wondered about the different shapes, benefits or drawbacks also.

Comment

I think I may have seen a wing tip fence of some kind in the pics.

Nature has some winglets too;

( Eagle airborne in Steve Miller band music video Fly Like an Eagle ! )
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, I am looking for info on the P-51 clipped wing racer type. I am building an RC version and want scale looks. Here's a link to a friends build.

ARF or RTF - HANGER-9 MUSTANG 150 BASH!!! UNLIMITED VOODOO - This is a bash on a hanger-9 mustang...hope you enjoy...ill post more pics as i get more paint on it...I got my mustang and it sat on the shelf for a couple of months...bout damn time im getting to it..just tons of stuff to work on..I put the start on the
          What size engine is that?
          VFA-113 Stingers

Comment

These wingtip treatments on racers are to make the plane easier to land. Everybody that does it has a different theory. Look BACK at posts on this site for some comments...I think Matt Jackson 'splained it all not too long ago. One interesting thing was that Strega put upturned carbon fiber tips on and lost radio communication because the antennas were located in the wingtips and the carbon fiber wouldn't conduct radio signals!...D.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
              Here is wiki about winglets.

Why did U-2 have an underside fence on the wingtip ? A-10 has also wing "bent" down at the tip...why ?

Will it increase lift ?
              The U-2 tip is a skid in case the plane drops a wing as it slows. There's probably some sensors out there too. My reference book is at home.

A-10's is probably for wingtip vortex control. Help increase slow speed turning?

Don

Comment

Look up Hoerner tips.

The guy that designed the Feiseler Storch I believe.

Doc

Comment

Years ago I built a scale R/C model of Stiletto/Color Tile. In the mid to late 80's, it featured tip plates on the top and bottom of the tips. Sorry but I have no digital pictures.

Aerodynamically speaking they lower the stall speed slightly and that helps a bunch when landing an already clipped wing aircraft with such high wing loading. Think of these as "air dams" that help hold lift producing air on the wing. I suspect the Stiletto style air dam tips would be a drag inducing factor at higher speeds.

Fancy tips swooping up on more modern racers and other high speed aircraft help facilitate the natural tip vortices to leave the wing tip thus lowering drag at race speeds.

G
                  '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by David E. Wells
                    These wingtip treatments on racers are to make the plane easier to land. Everybody that does it has a different theory. Look BACK at posts on this site for some comments...I think Matt Jackson 'splained it all not too long ago. One interesting thing was that Strega put upturned carbon fiber tips on and lost radio communication because the antennas were located in the wingtips and the carbon fiber wouldn't conduct radio signals!...D.
                    you mean to tell me that STREGA is part stealth that explains the pass Tiger made right

Comment

Working...
                    X