Clipped wing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipped wing question

I spoke with a Miss America crew member on Sunday about Miss A's clipped wings. He told me that plane is the only clipped wing bird approved for general operation. That Voodoo, Dago, Strega ect had to reconfigure their wings to even ferry home. This didn't seem correct to me.
    Set me straight on this please.

Re: Clipped wing question

Originally posted by T.F.
    I spoke with a Miss America crew member on Sunday about Miss A's clipped wings. He told me that plane is the only clipped wing bird approved for general operation. That Voodoo, Dago, Strega ect had to reconfigure their wings to even ferry home. This didn't seem correct to me.
    Set me straight on this please.
    Dago, Strega, Voodoo etc do not have to reconfigure their wings to fly home. They may have to reconfigure other internal systems that are there specifically for racing, but most of the racers can fly home just as they raced. Most of these racers have more specific operating limitations on how far/where they can fly from home without notifying the FAA. They are meant for racing and exhibition. Miss A might not have this level of restriction, and might be what they alluded to.

Michael

Comment

Miss America is the only P-51 that can be flown in the Limited Category with it's wings in the configuration known as clipped.

Back in the olden days an FAA inspector signed it off for such operation with the wing's outer panels removed and shortened ailerons installed with specific tips installed as per the flight test results made by a North American Aviation test pilot (Bob Hoover).

Mike is correct, the other racers on the field do not have to reconfigure their airplane's wings for operation other than racing because they are certified Experimental.

Comment

Here's another question...Do the clipped wings not only reduce wetted surface, but ALSO take out some (or all) of the built in twist?...D,

Comment

David, from the drawings as a reference it looks like the stock P-51D wing has some washout, like one or two degrees.(more close to two I think). Since the tips are more washed out, then a clip would in effect be chopping off some that washed out portion...A very small amount at that.

Comment

Where do you show the washout numbers?
            Is it both wings or just one?
            WW

Comment

I thought it was BOTH, to "change" the AOA for landing, but...
              Also interesting...Italian Macchi fighters (200-205)had one wing Longer than the other...P-Factor?...D.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteside
                Where do you show the washout numbers?
                Is it both wings or just one?
                WW
                Good question Will, my assumption is that it is both. The only reference I have is the airfoil coordinates which go from the root to the tip. The wing leading edge extension(kink) reduces the incidence at that portion of the wing as compared to the root section which is part of the coordinates I have; that(root)section being all the way in where the two wing halves join and without the extension included.

There's sure to be some Mustang restorers out there who have a much more accurate knowledge of this than I.

Great to talk to you, and I hope Voodoo runs really good next year. The Yak looks great!

Comment

Also at high AOA the centre part of the wing starts stalling while the ailerons are still effective due to a smaller AOA. May be done geometrically rotating the airfoil or changing the airfoil family... if I right understood the point.

Comment

Working...
                  X