B17 with 4 merlins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B17 with 4 merlins?

Hello all I read in some plane book some were that thay tried merlins on the B 17? think I even saw a real picture of it in the blasted book, can anyone shed light on this either way please thanks

Re: B17 with 4 merlins?

Probably the XB-38. Powered by allisons it was destroyed when it caught fire on a test flight. From what I have read it wasn't an improvement.
    My favorite test version was the XB-40. Built with extra armament and ammo it was too slow to keep up with the stock bombers after they had dropped their bombs. I've read of one operational use of it to trap and shoot down a captured P-38. Multiple sources but not sure how true it is.
    There were a bunch of different things tried on the B-17's and b-24's to increase performancr, production and firepower. Some were adopted, most were not.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Leo is right, XB-38, check it out on wikiup, search B-17, click on variants and there is a photo and history complete with it going down in flames on a test flight.

Comment

Make that Wikipedia, I blew it. Had a senior moment I guess.

Larry

Comment

Hehe...

To the best of my knowledge and reference material, no B-17 was ever fitted with Merlins. As stated above, it was fitted with Allisons. I do believe that its performance was enhanced but I guess not enough to justify the production changes, not to mention possible allocation issues with the Allison.

There was also a B-29 that was fitted with the V-3420 (twin Allison). It was known as the B-39. Same deal as above and with the cancellation of the P-75 and P-58, would have been the only buyer for the V-3420.
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

[QUOTE=W J Pearce]Hehe...

To the best of my knowledge and reference material, no B-17 was ever fitted with Merlins. As stated above, it was fitted with Allisons. I do believe that its performance was enhanced but I guess not enough to justify the production changes, not to mention possible allocation issues with the Allison.

Actually the performance of the XB-38 was much improved with the Allison's. But the production delays that would have occured in the change over and engine availability nixed the upgrade. It sure was a cool aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffman
              Leo is right, XB-38, check it out on wikiup, search B-17, click on variants and there is a photo and history complete with it going down in flames on a test flight.
              Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XB-38_Flying_Fortress

Comment

Check out the Avro Lancaster.

Looks like a B24 with 4 merlins.

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3
                  Check out the Avro Lancaster.

Looks like a B24 with 4 merlins.

Tommy
                  Funny you should mention that. The Lancaster grew out of the Avro Manchester which was powered by two RR Vulture 24 cyl X type engines. The Vultures were problematic so the Manchester was re-engined with four Merlins and bingo... you have the Lancaster (and a great bomber).
                  Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                  Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
                  X