Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 1,000mph Land Speed Record Jet Car, the Bloodhound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 1,000mph Land Speed Record Jet Car, the Bloodhound.

The article says it is scheduled to run in 2011. Same person who holds the current Land Speed Record at 763mph in Thrust SSC will be driving/flying, Andy Green.

It will be powered by a 25,000lb thrust rocket and a 20,000lb thrust jet engine from a Typhoon. The British military is letting them use the engine. Imagine 0-1,000mph in 40 seconds on land. What a ride.

Very interesting hobby. No room for error. Should be interesting.

Go here for the story:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

ユウのFX攻略ガイドでは、管理人のユウがFX会社の選び方からトレード手法まで詳しく解説しています。主に海外FXで大きく稼ぐ方法にスポットを当てており、小額から大きな利益を得たい方に役立つ情報を提供していきます。

BLOODHOUND SSC will accelerate from rest using an EJ-200 jet engine, taking it up to 300mph.

At that point (a) the rocket will be ignited, so that it and the jet are operating simultaneously, thereby increasing the acceleration to well over 2g.

Having reached maximum speed (1,050mph), the rocket thrust will be stopped (point b), but the jet engine will continue burning for a few seconds.

During this brief period, the car will decelerate at about 1.5g. When the jet engine also stops (point c), the deceleration will peak at nearly 3g.

When the vehicle slows to subsonic speeds the aerodynamic drag will reduce dramatically, slowing the deceleration of the vehicle. Two additional deceleration peaks are shown on the curves (points d and e), indicating the release of two parachutes. At low speeds, below 200mph, hydraulically operated disc brakes can be used.

The Land Speed record is calculated from the average speed of the car over two runs, completed within the space of an hour. The ability to control the car’s stopping, and therefore the turn-round time, is key to the success of the record attempt.
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-24-2008, 12:38 PM.

Re: New 1,000mph Land Speed Record Jet Car, the Bloodhound.

I love hearing about any speed record attempts. I wish someone would go after the 3 km or 15 km records for piston planes.

Concerning the Bloodhound, the concept drawings don't look to have many surfaces that are going to produce downforce. I see the canards, but other than that....??? I'm sure the body will produce some, but enough???

I'm going to stay tuned on this project. Good luck to them!

Tommy

PS Anyone know what became of Breedlove's old car that Fossett purchased and was going to make an attempt on the LSR? I thought I read somewhere that the project would continue despite Mr Fossett's unfortunate accident.

Comment

The week before Reno, these guys did 145 mph on 50 cc! A beautiful little steamliner Nice site showing the build, and video of the run.
      Bob
      Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta
        The article says it is scheduled to run in 2011. Same person who holds the current Land Speed Record at 763mph in Thrust SSC will be driving/flying, Andy Green.

It will be powered by a 25,000lb thrust rocket and a 20,000lb thrust jet engine from a Typhoon. The British military is letting them use the engine. Imagine 0-1,000mph in 40 seconds on land. What a ride.

Very interesting hobby. No room for error. Should be interesting.

Go here for the story:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

ユウのFX攻略ガイドでは、管理人のユウがFX会社の選び方からトレード手法まで詳しく解説しています。主に海外FXで大きく稼ぐ方法にスポットを当てており、小額から大きな利益を得たい方に役立つ情報を提供していきます。

BLOODHOUND SSC will accelerate from rest using an EJ-200 jet engine, taking it up to 300mph.

At that point (a) the rocket will be ignited, so that it and the jet are operating simultaneously, thereby increasing the acceleration to well over 2g.

Having reached maximum speed (1,050mph), the rocket thrust will be stopped (point b), but the jet engine will continue burning for a few seconds.

During this brief period, the car will decelerate at about 1.5g. When the jet engine also stops (point c), the deceleration will peak at nearly 3g.

When the vehicle slows to subsonic speeds the aerodynamic drag will reduce dramatically, slowing the deceleration of the vehicle. Two additional deceleration peaks are shown on the curves (points d and e), indicating the release of two parachutes. At low speeds, below 200mph, hydraulically operated disc brakes can be used.

The Land Speed record is calculated from the average speed of the car over two runs, completed within the space of an hour. The ability to control the car’s stopping, and therefore the turn-round time, is key to the success of the record attempt.
        Really cool stuff and a very unknown area.

I remember that Fossett was trying to go for the record before he had his accident.

Blue Foam, Michael (WBK) and elbarto were part of that. Maybe they could chime in on the status of the American try.

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3
          I love hearing about any speed record attempts. I wish someone would go after the 3 km or 15 km records for piston planes.

Concerning the Bloodhound, the concept drawings don't look to have many surfaces that are going to produce downforce. I see the canards, but other than that....??? I'm sure the body will produce some, but enough???

I'm going to stay tuned on this project. Good luck to them!

Tommy

PS Anyone know what became of Breedlove's old car that Fossett purchased and was going to make an attempt on the LSR? I thought I read somewhere that the project would continue despite Mr Fossett's unfortunate accident.
          The British group have some big money behind them, I am sure they have thier ducks in a row on something like this.

Comment

What's going on with this thread? Either posts are disappearing or my browser is acting up. Previous page says King was the last poster and I can't see his post?

Comment

After Lance's post I tried something

really strange stuff going on here

I log out and do not see my posts here

but log back in and they are here

what is going on?

Comment

I just contacted a friend here and they say they cannot see my posts

I can see them

very strange stuff indeed

anyone else see my posts?

Comment

Not just you Lance, I noticed the same thing.

Comment

I just contacted a friend here and they say they cannot see my posts

I can see them

very strange stuff indeed

anyone else see my posts?

Comment

Database actin up.... something to do with cookies I guess, big foggin mystery.... got our best on it....

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by FedexBob
                        The week before Reno, these guys did 145 mph on 50 cc! A beautiful little steamliner Nice site showing the build, and video of the run.
                        Bob
                        http://www.geocities.com/buddfab/buddfab3
                        Any idea how many rpm:s and hp:s they pull outa that 50 cc engine ?

Great work anyway !

Here is Bloodhound model;
                        Last edited by First time Juke; 10-26-2008, 05:03 AM.
                        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

When the rocket shuts off, there will be 1.5 g's of de-acceleration.

When the jet engine shuts off slightly later, there will be 3 g's of de-acceleration. That's how much the air drag there is that wants to slow it down.

Death is a moment away if the slightest thing goes wrong at those speeds.

It must be exhilerating to come that close to death and survive. I think I will sit in front of the computer and watch it.

There was someone who wanted to break the land speed record on a frozen lake to eliminate the problems with spinning wheels.
                          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-26-2008, 02:58 PM.

Comment

This could be done with unmanned vehicles, but I expect there is no shortage of volunteers to give it a go.

The same theory applies to air racing , and space exploration.
                            The engineering challenges can be the same but unless we put someone in the vehicle it does not cont as a real achievment.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta

There was someone who wanted to break the land speed record on a frozen lake to eliminate the problems with spinning wheels.
                              Waldo Stakes. http://www.sonicwind.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X