One last word on PC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One last word on PC...

Wayne, I went to post this after writing it...and the thread was closed. I took the time to write it...so I am posting it for you to see. Do what you want with it...I was hoping you would add it to the end of the last thread.

I have a disclaimer on my site that says, "This page is maintained to be child friendly, but is not maintained to be "politically correct". If you do not like what you see here, leave. "

That is how I feel about it...not that anything is too risque on my site, but I have had a few complaints..and I tell those who complain...If you don't like it, don't visit the site".

I have to disagree with "Mark the Lawyer" (Star Jones: "You know...I am a lawyer") Political Correctness is not about cowardice at all. It is about the REALITY of losing your job if you are perceived to do something "Un-PC" (Especially in a Federal Employment environment. Once you are fired from a Federal Job...try getting anything else!). It is about the loss of your home if you have no job. It is about the loss of your family and friends because they can not be associated with someone who is tainited by the public opinion that may follow you. It is about a lot more than you care to think about. I do not blame people for being reasonably cautious of the situation.

AND: Just because Mark may be an "Honest" lawyer who drives a '72 Nova with bald tires and a hole in the muffler, doesn't mean there are not plenty of "Johhny Cochrans" (...or should I say "Johnny Cockroaches") around who are willing to sue over some dumbas$ spilling coffee all over themselves, or other such nonsense. If Mark could wave his magic wand and make the rest of his profession clean up and not take on these BS cases...then I could see where he could make statements like he has. But until then, I would suggest he not make such comments calling someone else a coward because they are smart enough to protect themselves.

Personally, I try not to buy into Political Correctness, but there are times when it is better to say nothing, or protect yourself by avoiding a conflict. I do not blame Wayne for his approach whatsoever.

Glenn

Thank You!

Glenn,

Thank you very much for understanding! You read the message and my, admittedly, heated response. Bait was hung in my opinion and at the hour I read it, after staying in front of this machine working to make this site work... I was unable to muster my usual level of... well.. PC and not respond to the message..

I agree with what you said, I think the PC stuff is WAY out of control in this country. We've all probably said enougn on the subject but, I'll not close this thread if we can all agree to be careful about what we say.

Thanks Again Glenn!

Wayne Sagar
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Agree to Disagree

Wayne,

We do not always agree on everything, but at least we can agree to disagree and be civil about it.

All the best,

Glenn

Comment

Possibly another long term effect of El Nino???

Comment

Shields down.

IT WASN'T AN ATTACK!

Wayne, (and Glenn and Doctor)

If you took it as a personal attack, I apologize profusely. It was not intended as one in any way, shape or form. I sought only to defend my much-maligned profession. Wayne, you and I have disagreed before, but I remain an avid reader and great fan of your site. I was not baiting you at all, I sought only honest discussion and for any offense I sincerely apologize.

My ending comment on PC and cowardice was MY opinion on what PC stands for not bait for you. I hate PC and everything it stands for. It is, by definition, the sort of weasel words a politician would use. It is devisive and dishonest and to a certain extent does nothing but hid someone's true opinion or belief. Hear, hear for saying nothing, but please, please don't submit to PC.

With that said, I absolutely agree with your right to censor posts which contain unresearched speculation and inuendo masquerading as fact, but I disagree that someone's opinion should be censored no matter how controversial. People, myself included, have a regretable tendency to confuse fact with opinion. Someone once said that in the absence of facts, imagination will often be substituted. I personally want to know the facts and discuss opinions. The difference of opinions make for excellent dicussion and a free exchange of ideas.

I stand by my suggestion about talking to a lawyer first. I always ask clients which they think is cheaper: paying me now for a consult or paying me later when they get sued. In truth, I don't think Wayne has anything to fear. I suspect you'd find that this web site is falls under possibly the greatest collection of disconnected clauses on the planet -- The First Amendment.

Speaking of which, KILL THE LAWYERS: our country would be a much better place without Thomas Jefferson, John Marshall, Abraham Lincoln, John Kennedy and Thorgood Marshall.

Condescending remarks about my wage earning capacity aside,
          understand that for every lawyer who brought the coffee-in-the- lap case, there was a twelve-person jury representing the community that actually awarded the money. Yeah, there's a problem with the lawyer who brings the case but there's also a problem with the community that makes it pay off. It's the "victim mentality." ( WARNING: no PC here) It's never anyone's own fault that they put a hot liquid in their lap that spilled while they were driving -- it's that darn Mickey-D's for making the coffee so hot. So they go see a lawyer and the scrupulous ones turn 'em down but eventually there's one with enough time on his hands and nothing to lose and off they go.

The reason your new car doesn't blow-up in an accident is because a lawyer brought a case that I'm very sure Ford considered and tried to characterize as frivolous. Ditto those pesky Bridgestones. Should we cap awards aganst doctors? Sure, until the doctor working on you amputates the wrong leg. Then your attitude changes. Yes, there's abuse and I do wish I had the magic wand referred to above. But the wand would have to fix the lawyers, the "victims" and jury representing society that says "Oh, lets give them a lttle money". That'd be a pretty powerful wand. Whenever you hear about tort reform or other populist movements funded by insurance companies based essentially on the First Kill All the Lawyers mentality, remember that to get the Pinto tanks fixed you also need to occasionally pay for the spilled coffee and if you're ever called to jury duty, instead of trying to get out of it, accept your civic duty but don't reward the frivolous suits. That's the only way this is ever going to change. If you think I'm full of crap fine, but you'd should note that Ford is being sued again for gas tanks that blow - this time on police cruisers.

This has been a long post and somewhat off topic. Please understand I'm not attacking, I'm arguing.

Mark B.
          El Paso

Comment

AMEN
            Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

Working...
            X