Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F16 in afterburner on ground test video link.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F16 in afterburner on ground test video link.

Found this on you tube.

Shows an F16 tethered to the ground and they run up the motor into afterburner.

Would it be as loud that close as it would 200-300 feet away? That has got to be enough to destroy your hearing.

An F-16 from the RNoAF on full afterburn at the Kjevik Air Base, burning up a few tax payers dollars.Do excuse the retarded kids at the end.PS: Be sure to ch...

Re: F16 in afterburner on ground test video link.

at idle it's actually very quite compared with the inlet. In burner it's about 200ft for the danger area for hearing but you won't be behind a 16 long enough to experience the pain of bleeding ears. the heat can be intense and unpleasent. Noise below 95 dB is safe. jet engines with afterburner 110dB and above.

Comment

Ya I used to honestly fall asleep when standing behind the F-18 sometimes, its real quiet from behind.
      CFI/CFII/MEI
      www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
      www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Standing behind a burner run is a phenomenal experience. It is beyond loud. All of the ear protection in the world doesn't matter because the soundwaves are being transmitted right through your skull. Perhaps you can tolerate it on the F-16 because there's only one engine. On an Eagle burner run, there's simply no way to describe it.

The pressure of the burner plume literally takes your breath away.

Your entire body vibrates to the bone.

I couldn't stand it for more than about 30 seconds at a time...long enough for a couple happy snaps.

Not a very good photo, but one of my favorites. I was trying to capture the crowd that a night afterburner run in a warzone draws (this was at Bagram AB, Afghanistan).
        Last edited by Randy Haskin; 10-11-2008, 01:48 PM.

Comment

My comment was to the birds at idle. Yes at full AB, high power ground runs are very unique, close up and crazy experience. I was the guy in the cockpit 99% of the time so I didnt get to be up close and personal to the engines like I wanted to.

I have seen the F-15, F16, F-18, F-5 and F14, as well as other non afterburning aircraft at high power. The most impressive were the F-14 and F-15. The F-16 uses the same engine as the F-14 so imagine, its double the greatness. The Tomcat and Eagle are pretty closely matched in thrust, insanely powerful.
          CFI/CFII/MEI
          www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com

Comment

The small block 16's with pratt's are just awful too small of a inlet and they have pratt's.The block 60 here visiting is awesom not loud and annoying like those damn pratt's. The GE's are not as loud i think or I could be losing my hearing. Screw double hearing protection who needs to hear anyway you only need it in september the rest of the time is just a girlfriend yelling and talking a lot about fellings and does this make me look fat sort of stuff. OMG.

Comment

Originally posted by F-16 CREW CHIEF
              The small block 16's with pratt's are just awful too small of a inlet and they have pratt's.The block 60 here visiting is awesom not loud and annoying like those damn pratt's. The GE's are not as loud i think or I could be losing my hearing. Screw double hearing protection who needs to hear anyway you only need it in september the rest of the time is just a girlfriend yelling and talking a lot about fellings and does this make me look fat sort of stuff. OMG.
              You are SO insensitive....

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted
                The F-16 uses the same engine as the F-14 so imagine, its double the greatness.
                FWIW, this is only true in one case -- The Block 50/60 F-16 and the F-14D, both of which have the GE-129 engine.

F-16s are also powered by the PW-220 and PW-229 engines, and most F-14s were powered by the TF-30 engine.

The latest model of the F-15E (the F-15K, made for the South Koreans) also has the GE 129.

Comment

only the early model Tomkittys were the TF30. Most used the F110-GE-400. Not sure how many of the F-16's used it.

This engine was short lived through the Vipers AFE. From what I understood the majority used the F100-PW-220.
                  CFI/CFII/MEI
                  www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com

Comment

You want to talk AB and flames and noise...share a flightline with the SR-71...then we'll talk.

There's nothing like a late night launch of the 'Blackbird' to get your attention. An amazing aircraft...how I miss the 80's...and RAF Mildenhall!!

LP

PS: I do have pictures...old prints that have survived 2 fires over the many years.
                    Last edited by MMPerk; 10-11-2008, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
                      You want to talk AB and flames and noise...share a flightline with the SR-71...then we'll talk.

There's nothing like a late night launch of the 'Blackbird' to get your attention. An amazing aircraft...how I miss the 80's...and RAF Mildenhall!!

LP

PS: I do have pictures...old prints that have survived 2 fires over the many years.
                      My instructor back at tech school told us how you always knew they were flying because you could hear them for miles takin off and as he put it reentering earth(northern translation entering england airspace). He was based with the F-111's near by, the base escapes my memory.

Comment

Originally posted by F-16 CREW CHIEF
                        My instructor back at tech school told us how you always knew they were flying because you could hear them for miles takin off and as he put it reentering earth(northern translation entering england airspace). He was based with the F-111's near by, the base escapes my memory.

I believe that would be RAF Lakenheath. Not sure what mission that base supports these days, but back then it was a part of the NATO deterant, and they was wound up pretty tight. Those were the days.

I would much rather have the days of the 'cold war' back than what we are facing now.

LP

Comment

I was stationed to RAF Lakenheath in 1992, just as the swap from F-111's to the F-15 was beginning. To me those 111's were LOUD SOB's. We we're launching one of our 15's with a few 111's next to us one day, as one of the 111's started his taxi out and turn for the runway he ended up rolling a power cart and a few people. Scary how much power it took to get those things moving compared to our jets.
                          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                          My Photos
                          My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
                            I believe that would be RAF Lakenheath. Not sure what mission that base supports these days, but back then it was a part of the NATO deterant, and they was wound up pretty tight. Those were the days.

I would much rather have the days of the 'cold war' back than what we are facing now.

I'm stationed at the 'Heath right now flying F-15Es. We have two squadrons of E Models that still have the nuclear mission...so, parts of the "cold war" never left western Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                              Standing behind a burner run is a phenomenal experience. It is beyond loud. All of the ear protection in the world doesn't matter because the soundwaves are being transmitted right through your skull. Perhaps you can tolerate it on the F-16 because there's only one engine. On an Eagle burner run, there's simply no way to describe it.

The pressure of the burner plume literally takes your breath away.

Your entire body vibrates to the bone.

I couldn't stand it for more than about 30 seconds at a time...long enough for a couple happy snaps.

Not a very good photo, but one of my favorites. I was trying to capture the crowd that a night afterburner run in a warzone draws (this was at Bagram AB, Afghanistan).
                              Night runs in the war zone -- psy-ops to the max!
                              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
                              X