CT-114 Tudor reported down near Snowbirds base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT-114 Tudor reported down near Snowbirds base

No word yet as to whether this was a Snowbirds aircraft...

Details at aero-news.net/

I beleive the snowbirds are in SF for fleet week..

Comment

Re: CT-114 Tudor reported down near Snowbirds base

It was a Snowbirds Tutor carrying two -- pilot and photog: http://tinyurl.com/436um4

Comment

Originally posted by r_willy
        It was a Snowbirds Tutor carrying two -- pilot and photog: http://tinyurl.com/436um4
        Aww damn.. I'm sure everyone will send their mental good will towards the north, this is sad.. very sad!

Blue Skies

Prayers for the lost!

Wayne
        Last edited by AAFO_WSagar; 10-09-2008, 05:57 PM. Reason: I'm a dumb ass
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Not a snowbird, but a "spare" (as are all CT-114s now flying as that is their only active role. Two military personnel died, the pilot and a photographer. From the description it sounds like they were part of an air to air photoshoot with three NATO training aircraft from the base (Hawk and Harvard II). Names have not yet been released.

My condolances at the loss to the family and friends.

respectfully
          Scott

Comment

Ya all the Snowbird aircraft are in SFO for fleet week. Sucks to hear about the 2 deaths. RIP and blue skies
            CFI/CFII/MEI
            www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
            www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by Low-n-Slow
              Not a snowbird, but a "spare" (as are all CT-114s now flying as that is their only active role.
              The article I read clearly states that the pilot was indeed a Snowbird.

Bummer for sure.

Matt
              Matt
              Super Genius Rocket Scientist
              NCAR Rocks!!!

Comment

a all the Snowbird aircraft are in SFO for fleet week. Sucks to hear about the 2 deaths. RIP and blue skies
                Actually there are two "Snowbirds" teams. One tours the U.S. and one for Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
                  Actually there are two "Snowbirds" teams. One tours the U.S. and one for Canada.

Yes. He was a part of the Canadian team...

Latest from Aero-news...

"The plane's pilot was a member of the Canadian Forces Snowbirds home team, and not a demonstration pilot, 15 Wing commander Col. Paul Keddy told reporters...

Identities of the victims have not been released, pending notification of the next of kin."

Comment

The victims names have been released.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
                      Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                      Yes. He was a part of the Canadian team...
                      ..."The plane's pilot was a member of the Canadian Forces Snowbirds home team, and not a demonstration pilot, 15 Wing commander Col. Paul Keddy told reporters...
                      Just a point of clarification, there is only one Snowbird demonstration team that travels throughout Canada and the United States. When we send them down to you, you're getting all that we have, the best. The "home team" refers to members of 15 Wing who remain at the base in Moose Jaw and do not travel with the demonstration team. Captain Mitchell, pilot of the downed aircraft, was scheduled to join the demonstration team next year.

The "not a snowbird" remark in my previous post was in reference to the downed aircraft being one of the spare CT114s in standard military markings rather than the red and white "snowbird" aircraft familiar to airshow audiences. Captain Mitchell was, of course, very much a part of the Snowbird team serving at the base in Moose Jaw. My appologies for any confusion.

Scott

Comment

No apology necessary, and many thanks for the details.

Comment

Working...
                        X