This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political Correctness Strikes Again

Veterans Day...a National Holiday for the United States of America, but the children of Oklahoma City do not get the day off to mourn, reflect or pay tribute.

Pretty sad huh?

The children of Oklahoma City get a day off for every other National Holiday, including Martin Luther King day. Why not Veterans Day?

Why is this an issue?

If Dr. King had been a President of the United States, I would understand why they would get that day off versus Veterans Day. However, since Dr. King was not an elected official of this country, I do not, and can not understand why a day of celebration would be more in order for 1 single man, than for every Veteran who ever served his country or died defending it.

This has nothing to do with "race" as far as I am concerned. It is just plain wrong. I think this dishonors those, like myself who have served, and it is just another example of the proliferation of political correctness gone awry.

G

So Sad....here's another example of PC gone nuts

A showing of "Tora, Tora, Tora" at a theatre is canceled in San Pedro, CA because it might offend some Japanese-Americans (I hate hyphens)

Funny thing, T3 was an American/Japanese collaboration and the Japanese are shown in a neutral light...not good guys, not bad guys...It's just telling the hiistorical chronical of events.

====

NO SHOW: Insensitivity to Japanese-Americans is cited. Vets are stunned.

By Donna Littlejohn DAILY BREEZE

It was going to be a night to remember. Ushers dressed in World War II military uniforms, vintage cars pulling up to the curb, Pearl Harbor survivors and a recently restored 1940s military searchlight would be on hand Dec. 7 to greet the crowds at a special anniversary showing of “Tora! Tora! Tora!” at San Pedro’s historic Warner Grand Theatre.

The 1970 film — a joint American and Japanese production — is considered one of the most accurate depictions of events leading up to the 1941 Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor. Expected to attract hundreds, the showing on the 61st anniversary of the attack was to serve as a fund-raiser for the Fort MacArthur Military Museum in San Pedro.

But now the show is off.

Why? Veterans and museum members say it’s simply a case of political correctness run amok.

While there was a previous theater booking for Dec. 7, according to theater manager Lee Sweet of the city’s Department of Cultural Affairs, which manages the facility, Los Angeles City Councilwoman Janice Hahn concluded that the event would have been insensitive to the Japanese-American community.

“I wanted to be very sensitive to the Japanese-American community,” Hahn said. “Dec. 7 is a tough day, especially for the second and third generations of Japanese-Americans. Why do we want to do something that makes it more difficult?” The showing was planned this year to take the place of the Fort MacArthur Military Museum’s annual Pearl Harbor Day observance.

With World War II veterans passing from the scene or becoming too frail to attend the shrinking ceremony each year, volunteers were looking for a way to reach the wider community with their story.

Volunteer Bob Meza, an NBC engineer, said Warner Grand personnel initially told him no print of the film was available. Through his industry connections, though, Meza was able to get a print from a private collector for the special showing on Dec. 7, Pearl Harbor Day, at the 1930s-era movie theater in downtown San Pedro.

But objections from the city soon followed, Meza said, including liability concerns and then worries that the projection equipment wasn’t adequate.

Those were all resolved by volunteers, who agreed to carry the insurance for the film.

After that, volunteers said, city officials told them two weeks ago that the event couldn’t be held because it might be offensive to members of the Japanese-American community.

Hahn, who was asked to intervene on the museum’s behalf to show the film on Dec. 7, said that after talking with Japanese-American friends, including state Assemblyman George Nakano, D-Torrance, she agreed with the city’s concerns.

Sweet said he didn’t suggest the movie would be insensitive. He said it was because the theater already had something happening that day.

“The city, as far as I’m aware, is not in the business of censorship,” he said. “The date was booked.”

Comment

P C

AND THE REAL B.... CRUSHERS IS -------- YOU CAN,T CALL

SPADE A SHOVEL ON THIS SITE NO MORE !!!!!!!!

CAUSE YOU MIGHT NOT BE P C

LETS ALL BRING OUR SPADES AND SHOVELS TO THE NAG

BANQUET

DA DOC

Comment

Re: P C

Originally posted by THE DOCTOR
        AND THE REAL B.... CRUSHERS IS -------- YOU CAN,T CALL

SPADE A SHOVEL ON THIS SITE NO MORE !!!!!!!!

CAUSE YOU MIGHT NOT BE P C

LETS ALL BRING OUR SPADES AND SHOVELS TO THE NAG

BANQUET

DA DOC
        ?? Sure ya can DOC.. We're not *that* PC... we's just afraid -0- gettin our butts sued off...

Ya'know.. today's litigious society and all.... <sigh>

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thread Closed

The administraition has determined that this thread is unrelated to aviation or air racing. We have moved it to the proper section and it has been closed.
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
          X