P-38 RED BULL FLIGHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-38 RED BULL FLIGHT

Here is a video taking from inside the cockpit of a P-38 Lightning during flight.

Running up the Flying Bulls P-38 Lightning recently restored at Ezell Aviation in Breckenridge, TX.

that would be a LOT better without the sound track

...I have flown in that AC several times with its prior owner and the cockpit sounds are much better than some music blah.

Comment

Re: P-38 RED BULL FLIGHT

Oh, I liked the music.
      I just couldn't get over the idea , in this day and age, that someone would fly this kind of airplane bareheaded and in shirt sleeves. Made me nervous.
      The freakin' thing crashed because it was on fire! One knock on the noggin after a successful forced landing and you still die, or worse mumble into your shoe for life thereafter with brain trauma effects.
      Get real.
      BTW, Lefty doesn't own N25Y anymore!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr
        Oh, I liked the music.
        I just couldn't get over the idea , in this day and age, that someone would fly this kind of airplane bareheaded and in shirt sleeves. Made me nervous.
        The freakin' thing crashed because it was on fire! One knock on the noggin after a successful forced landing and you still die, or worse mumble into your shoe for life thereafter with brain trauma effects.
        Get real.
        BTW, Lefty doesn't own N25Y anymore!!!
        I agree completely. I was shocked when I saw that as well. I would think that a nomex flight suit and a helmet would be mandatory for an airplane such as that. I guess some people do like to gamble. But you have to consider the source - Breckenridge - home of flying warbirds in shorts, sandals, and Hawaiian shirts. Howard Pardue likes to fly very, very relaxed and comfortable. Very strange considering Mr. Pardue is an ex-Marine.

Comment

Ah bull.

I'd rather go in with the noise and the ability to hear it all as my last memories.

Stuff happens.

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude
            I agree completely. I was shocked when I saw that as well. I would think that a nomex flight suit and a helmet would be mandatory for an airplane such as that. I guess some people do like to gamble. But you have to consider the source - Breckenridge - home of flying warbirds in shorts, sandals, and Hawaiian shirts. Howard Pardue likes to fly very, very relaxed and comfortable. Very strange considering Mr. Pardue is an ex-Marine.
            Ehh, too much safety culture mentality these days.
            _________
            -Matt
            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
              Ehh, too much safety culture mentality these days.
              Yea, you're right. I would rather die from a forced off airport landing than survive, like Ladd Gardner did when N25Y caught fire. Never mind that the cockpit filled with thick black smoke and he had to do a near IFR instrument landing in a cotton field.

Comment

OK... everybody.... check your humor meters....

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

My input,
                  You manage your risk when you get in your car, plane, plane w/bad WX, war bird, race plane. If you don't bingo... Remember in an emergency you do what you have to do what ever it takes... Second guessing is a luxury

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar

Thanks for the reminder Wayne! I just realized mine is past TBO...
                    Sky Critter

Comment

Mine works!
                      _________
                      -Matt
                      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Sorry Wayne, it's just a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I apologize if my sarcasm was a little too serious. My life has been saved several times in my flying career, due to having safety equipment and having a safety mentality. I've seen the results first hand when people have been burned due to a lack of Nomex flying gloves, or had serious head injuries due to not wearing a helmet, or nearly died due to hypoxia, from not wearing an oxygen mask. To me, these are easily preventable things which can be seriously mitigated by a small amount of prevention. I'm not advocating a helmet, O2 mask, and Nomex flight suit for flying your J-3, Champ, or Cessna, but in some airplanes it is necessary. In warbirds and high performance fighter/trainer/tactical type jets it is, IMO. Those airplanes have high probabilities of either catching on fire, losing an engine, or ejection. Why anybody would want to risk their lives without taking very easy precautions is beyond me.

O.K. rant over, and now back to your regularly scheduled program!

Comment

DVD.. no need to apologize, I agree with you and, I believe, the others who were "making light" probably feel the same way.. I just wanted to remind everyone that sometimes it's hard to see that someone is being sarcastic or making their point with humor, in reverse.. (which is what I think was going on here)

I don't think there's a person on this board who truly takes safety lightly...

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                          X