Aerodynamics ! ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerodynamics ! ?

Hello folks Thought this would be an interesting thread.
    First let me Thank Victor Archer for the use of 3 of his awesome photos.
    I asked BEFORE starting this thread out of total respect for the work he and all the photographers out there do.That said...............................
    Lets look at these pictures and talk about what we see besides 2 great planes.
    First:I mean to offend no one in what I say here.I like all the planes, pilots,crews etc.
    Second: I'm struck by the aerodynamic profile differences in these 2 Titans.The Bear seems to have this huge frontal area and these thick wings.Looks as though it is a barrel with thick short wings on it.Where as Dago has this slender nicly tapered frontal area with thin wings.Albeit Laminar flow wings, but still thin.More like a bullet with wings on it.
    In Victors photo with the 2 together(awesome shot I might add)
    You can really see the physical difference
    The 2 separated photos let us look at the planes apart.
    So with some of my observations out there.Here are some thoughts.
    When in doubt add more horsepower! The Bear has that monster 3350 up front.She is streamlined and slickend up as beat as the design will allow and there is no doubt in my mind or anyone elses this plane can flat out haul ass! Amazing what brute force can do!
    On the other hand Dago went the finesse route.With less then half the cubic inches.There is doubt there are some serious horsepower in that Merlin.But that small spinner leading to that slick cowl ,leading to the slender fuselage,low profile canopy.wings and empennage take you down a totally different path.Also no doubt about this one being able to hauls ass too.
    Anyone out there know how to calculate drag coefficient? I would be interested in those numbers.
    Third: I have looked at the photo of The Bear and Dago for a long time.
    Something I keep rolling around.How can these 2 awesome planes be so completely different yet so evenly matched.I know ,I know,everyone has the favs,but in reality, matched on some of there best days in the air,they really are pretty evenly matched.
    Truly amazing.A true testament to the designs.The longevity of the planes themselves.Kudos to the scores of folks that toiled to get them where they are now.And to the crews that work on them now to keep them at the level they fly.Lastly a grand shout out to the guys that strap there monsters on and fly them out toward the edges on the envelope that the designers never testament.
    Just some random babbling on a boring pseudo-rainy Saturday afternoon.

B2
    Attached Files

Re: Aerodynamics ! ?

Sorry didn't see I had Dago twice!

B2
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Aerodynamics ! ?

Horsepower only takes you so far. Aerodynamics are a big factor in speed. You can pump all the HP you want into an airframe that is up against the drag wall and see minimal results. There's a cube law for HP and square law for aerodynamics, which play into speed. It's easier to get speed from aero if you have the ability than the effort to add HP.

Michael

Comment

Working...
      X