A-26 at Shafter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-26 at Shafter?

First time at Shafter today. Saw a yellow A-26 on the ramp.......anyone know what's going on with it?

Re: A-26 at Shafter?

ex-Air Spray fire tanker A-26C Invader owned by Wade Eagleton.

Here's part of an email I received from Wade about his Invader:
    The serial number for this Invader is 44-35456 and the US registration is N5625S. The plane was constructed in Tulsa and right from the "get-go", there are 2 history paths. One, which Airspray researched is this particular plane was deployed to Europe to finish the war and then returned home and storage @ Davis Monthan AFB. I have been unable to confirm this myself, and the notion that a attack plane was flown home is a bit unusual. Transports, loaded with personal returned home, but frequently non-transport planes such as Invaders and mustangs were considered surplus at war's end and were turned over to what ever "friendly" government would emerge upon the cessation of hostilities. Or simply disposed of by burning. It was considered a waste of fuel and other resources to return an attack planes to US soil only to be "cut-up" here. Considering thousands of newly manufactured aircraft rolled off US assembly lines for months after war's end until war contract were successfully terminated and these aircraft, newly manufactured were flown directly to smelters, often their only flight to be cut-up and melted down. My research suggests few over-seas aircraft, particularly single man attacked aircraft returned from foreign deployment. It was most cost effective to "abandon" these aircraft and utilize available fuel for transports. C-47's and C-54 among others to bring home flight crews..

The log books are spotty and Airspray's fire took a toll on complete records. The other "history path" was the plane was accepted by the USAF and was immediately stored. regardless, of its service in 1944-45, the aircraft was activated from storage @ Davis Monthan AFB for Korea. Rebuilt as a night reconnaissance aircraft with the removal of its armament and offence weapons. Employing the concept that speed was the plane best defense. It worked as the plane survived Korea and I have been able to confirm its service in Korea

Wade is slowly working on the aircraft and hopes to restore it back to a night-fighter configuration.
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Victor, the photos are simply sick... your ability to just "be there" whenever a subject comes up and then, provide absolutely stunning artistic photos of said subject is, well... it's just damn cool that you hang here and can share!!

Thank You!

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
        Victor, the photos are simply sick... your ability to just "be there" whenever a subject comes up and then, provide absolutely stunning artistic photos of said subject is, well... it's just damn cool that you hang here and can share!!

Thank You!

Wayne
        I'll second that!

Eric
        Cheers

Comment

Ditto !
          Russ
          Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

I went to Red Deer while visiting relatives in December 1999. There were about 14 A-26s there. One was written off soon and then the fire was the following year, which took out more airframes. It was an amazing day and I got to take pics and notes and nobody bothered me. Just mind blowing. When I set off from Edmonton there was a scary huge black cloud in front of me but thankfully the weather held up and I got some good pics. They are in storage so I don't have them nearby to scan. Glad to see these airplanes going to good homes.

John

Comment

Working...
            X