Merlin powered craft reaches orbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merlin powered craft reaches orbit

SpaceX has made history. Its privately developed rocket has made it into space. After three failed launches, the company founded by Elon Musk worked all of the bugs out of their Falcon 1 launch vehicles. The entire spectacle was broadcast live from Kwajalein Atoll in the Pacific Ocean. Cameras mounted on the spacecraft showed our […]

SpaceX has made history. Its privately developed rocket has made it into space.

The first stage is powered by a single Merlin 1C engine, based partly on the engine used in the Apollo lunar lander. The engine uses a so-called open cycle system, in which some of the propellant is used to power the engine pumps and then exhausted separately, while the rest of the propellant flows through the main combustion chamber.

The first stage carries a parachute and is designed to be recoverable, although this has not yet worked out in practice.

Well done Elon.

Do these engines fit in a Mustang !!!

Re: Merlin powered craft reaches orbit

The engine uses a so-called open cycle system, in which some of the propellant is used to power the engine pumps and then exhausted separately, while the rest of the propellant flows through the main combustion chamber.
    That's an old engine design. Many decades old. Even the X-15 had an open cycle rocket engine.

The more modern Space Shuttle engines partially-burn a rich mixture to run it's turbopumps, then feed the leftover, still-fuel-rich exhaust mixture to their combustion chambers, wasting no heat nor fuel.

I wonder how using an old, inefficent engine layout like that of the Merlin 1C will result in a tenfold decrease in orbiting costs, as they claim they are trying to achieve? Overseas labor?

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-29-2008, 11:39 AM.

Comment

AirDOGGe

Those sure were some nice stainless X-15 tunnel models there huh? I would kill to have one of those for the mantle, especially the A2
      Last edited by Red; 09-29-2008, 11:45 AM.
      Red
      chanting...400+

Comment

Before making statements like "I wonder how using an old, inefficient engine layout like that of the Merlin 1C will result in a tenfold decrease in orbiting costs, as they claim they are trying to achieve? Overseas labor?", I suggest you do at least a little research on the subject.

The Merlin 1C is a very efficient and reliable pintle design. It's vacuum specific impulse of 304 is the highest performance gas generator cycle kerosene engine ever built. As far as overseas labor...... Guess again. This company can proudly stamp "MADE IN USA" on almost everything they do.

GO SpaceX

Comment

Originally posted by pt17av8r
          Before making statements like "I wonder how using an old, inefficient engine layout like that of the Merlin 1C will result in a tenfold decrease in orbiting costs, as they claim they are trying to achieve? Overseas labor?", I suggest you do at least a little research on the subject.

I have searched, but I have yet to see anything that would justify such a claim. A magnitude in cost reduction is no small feat. Their website doesn't offer any engine details I can find.

But no insult to SpaceX was intended, and I appreciate the engine info you gave. If more is available on their engine design, I'd love to be directed to it please.

Comment

A large percentage of the lower cost of a SpaceX launch vehicle compared to the big boys, is in the companies work ethic and general philosophy. The big players are so top heavy with bureaucratic BS that it takes at least 10 of them to perform like one SpaceX employee. No slight to those working with the big players (especially since I am one of them), but it is just the nature of working in a company that measures productivity in how many hours charged instead of a finished product.

From the beginning, SpaceX had a price point goal, and everyone there works to be as efficient as possible to meet the goal. Unlike the big players, SpaceX listens to every employee for suggestions, and takes them seriously. If you are just a general peon at one of the big players, try jumping your supervisors and make a suggestion directly to the CEO...... Unfortunately, the big players have so many levels of managers that are trying to justify their existence, they are reluctant to try and implement an idea they didn't think of. Sad...

In addition to working smarter, SX implemented things to reduce the complexity of the vehicle, such as having the ability to simply shut off the fuel supply for a panic destruct, instead of an expensive destruct mechanism. Manufacturing methods and materials utilize the latest in automated processes, with volume production in mind (huge cost reduction)...... Designed to be as light as possible, using modern materials. Lighter vehicle = less fuel to launch = smaller fuel tanks = smaller vehicle = cheaper to launch....

Here is a link to the Falcon 1/Merlin page: http://www.spacex.com/falcon1.php#merlin_engine

Cheers, Dan
            Last edited by pt17av8r; 09-29-2008, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I seemed to me that most of the cost of launching a shuttle or big rocket was hardware/support cost, not managment. Perhaps I was in error. Time will tell.

And thanks for the link.

Incidentally, SpaceX has released a fascinating in-flight video of the launch, for those who are interested.

Link: http://spacex.com/multimedia/videos.php?id=30

Comment

I was with General Dynamics (Convair) on the Atlas Missile launches at both the Cape & Vandenburg AFB during the late 50's & early 60's and it took at least 50 to 100 of us to launch them & once we put the Lockheed spy in the sky on top of it there were more of us in the Blockhouse. Those were the days of "Cost Plus" contracts.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob
                  I was with General Dynamics (Convair) on the Atlas Missile launches at both the Cape & Vandenburg AFB during the late 50's & early 60's and it took at least 50 to 100 of us to launch them & once we put the Lockheed spy in the sky on top of it there were more of us in the Blockhouse. Those were the days of "Cost Plus" contracts.
                  When I first started in the flying business hauling the Atlas-Centaur package between Vandenberg, Buckley and the Cape was one of my specialties. We used to joke (and still do when now hauling SCTS type stuff around) that it took 10 managers/engineers to tell one person what to do. We've also come to the conclusion that if all those guys would just walk away for a few short hours we could have all their cargo loaded on the jet in half the time.
                  Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                  My Photos
                  My Ride

Comment

Working...
                  X