PHANTOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHANTOM

Race Records (Previous Record was 251.958 mph, set in 2006)
    9/14/2008 9:08 AM 62 Aberle, Tom Fallbrook, CA Phantom 251.975 (Gold)

Damn NIKON gear...

For sale: 1DmkII, 20D, 2x Rebel's, 2x 100-400 IS USM L, 500mm IS USM L, 2x 18-55mm, 28-135mm IS USM, 17-40mm ect.......

Thank GOD the Rum's not all gone...
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Re: PHANTOM

Greta work Victor!

Comment

Great shots Victor!

How much do you want for one of the 100-400 IS USM L lenses?
      Sky Critter

Comment

WOW great pics victor... Hold onto that canon glass and get a 5D mk II.....
        3.9fps for 300 images... using all 21mp
        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

3.9 frames per second is stone age slow. This is not aimed at the sports shooter.

Comment

Wait a minute, 20D? does it even work?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan
              WOW great pics victor... Hold onto that canon glass and get a 5D mk II.....
              3.9fps for 300 images... using all 21mp
              Interesting you should mention that
              Originally posted by T. Adams
              3.9 frames per second is stone age slow. This is not aimed at the sports shooter.
              I've been analyzing and accessing my skills and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that when you have the ability to shoot at high burst rates that you (I should say "I") rely more on the camera to get me that "one" image or shot other than relying more on my skills as a photographer. The first three days of race week I shot under 4 gig's a day and the majority of my images are excellent, also I don't have to sort through thousands of images for a hundred good ones. I'm thinking back to a more basic style of photography, back to the days of shooting film where you made sure that every shot had to count because of the cost involved in processing
              Originally posted by jarrodeu
              Wait a minute, 20D? does it even work?
              Jarrod
              Duct tape and a deep cycle marine battery and it'll shoot all day...LOL

Comment

My pylon skills eluded me this year, I don't machine gun it, but the 1D series has an AF system a whole lot better than the prosumer series. I still like my 40D, but don't be fooled and think it will AF like a 1 series body. I was around 4GB a day this year, or about 800-1000. Easy to sort though, there was a lot of crap in there.

Comment

My pylon skills eluded me this year
                  Almost everyone was flying higher and a little wider this year, made it a bit more diffulcult
                  I don't machine gun it, but the 1D series has an AF system a whole lot better than the prosumer series.
                  I was thinking of some of the Japanese photographers, one guy at the end of the T's would start shooting as the aircraft rounded 8 and would not stop until they passed home pylon... That's something like 60+ frames per airplane per lap... I agree with you about the AF system, much better on the 1 series

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                    Almost everyone was flying higher and a little wider this year, made it a bit more difficult...
                    Glad to see I am not the only one that seemed to notice that. I did "good enough" at the pylons. I know I could have done a lot better.

Comment

I too struggled a bit this year on the pylons...

Victor -- great shots of Tom Aberle and his remarkable airplane! The crew were talking about trying to beat the IF1 record qualifying speed as a future goal. Now that would be something. Tom himself was mainly muttering about having to race with himself -- he was not happy about Jeff Lo's racer not turning up this year.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                        Tom himself was mainly muttering about having to race with himself -- he was not happy about Jeff Lo's racer not turning up this year.

Neal
                        That brings up something... where was Miss Gianna this year? I know I mentioned it more than a couple times that it must have been pretty boring for Tom with no one pushing from behind.
                        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                        My Photos
                        My Ride

Comment

I talked to Jeff a couple of times -- he's been very busy this year and has not gotten any time at all in the Racer. The airplane is very sensitive and does not fly like a regular Pitts and he just did not feel comfortable or safe on the course in it without more preparation. He did get to race #6 and says it is easy by comparison...

Neal

Comment

Well done Victor as always... Are you going to make the switch to Nikon now??

Lynn

Comment

The thing I am curious about is how does Tom communicate without a headset.

Comment

Working...
                              X