Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have pictures of a "Four Engined" PBY at Reno 2008?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have pictures of a "Four Engined" PBY at Reno 2008?

I heard there was a PBY on the Ramp this year. A friend of mine knows the owner and was hanging out with them this year. Would love to see a picture from you pros.
    Randy Rheinschild
    www.Unlimitedair.com

Re: Anyone have pictures of a PBY at Reno 2008?

Sorry Jr, but unless I completely missed it I certainly didnt see a PBY on the wramp at Reno. Was there all week long and then some, so you have me at a loss.

Dave

Comment

Where??? I didn't see one.

John

Comment

If you are interested there are some very cheap kits around of these at the moment and they are easy to fly. Cost with radio RTF is about US$80

Attached Files

Comment

Maybe you are speaking of the flying yacht painted in zebra stripes?

Comment

I'm thinking maybe he was thinking of the Sikorsky S-38 replica

Comment

PBY means Patrol Bomber, Y is the manufacturer's code for Consolidated Aircraft Company

Comment

Is this it?
                Attached Files
                http://evanflys.com/

Comment

Thanks for the replies...Here is a picture of the airplane in Palm Springs that he sent me to show me what the beast looked like.. recip and turbing powered.... pretty neat redundancy dont you think. Maybe it was parked down at "WAY FAR" end of the ramp. He says "FAA approved engine mods" I said " pretty damn cool"
                  Attached Files
                  Randy Rheinschild
                  www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Re: Anyone have pictures of a "Four Engined" PBY at Reno 2008?

I thought that quad PBY was a photoshop joke, but damn if it isn't real. Those aren't kerosene burners outboard of the radials though...

Details here: http://www.airbum.com/articles/ArticleBirdPBY.html

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-23-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

The Bird Innovator.
                      2-Lycoming recip engines added back in the sixties. Warbird registry has it under restoration. Awhile back there was aeither an Air Classics or Warbirds article on it. I understood it was under conversion back to stock status?
                      I did'nt see one at Reno. Maybe an Albatross? I did'nt see any but really was'nt looking for any...
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

rwflyboy, I believe that aircraft is/was called the Bird Innovator. Kept in New Mexico I think. But that was in the mid 90's. Not sure where it is now, but I don't remember seeing a PBY anywhere on the ramp at 4SD. And as you can see by my screen name, I happen to love that type of aircraft. I used to work and fly in the PBY-5A the the Commemorative Air Force used to have in the 80's and 90's.

Dave
                        Dave

Comment

the PBY-5A the the Commemorative Air Force
                          I have pictures of either N15KL or N16KL (CAF once owned both, and unfortunately both crashed) when it stopped at Nut Tree in 1975 or 76. Bare metal before CAF got it (the pilot said it was on a delivery flight from the Netherlands). I'll have to dig em' up.
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Last I heard the bird innovator no longer has all four engines and has been sitting in Oregon for a long time, although registered in Florida. Sad.

Here's what it looks like now:

The warbird registry is source of information documenting all Catalinas and Cansos used by the worlds military that managed to survive that service.

John
                            Last edited by John H; 09-23-2008, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Leo, I think those were both -6A's that crashed. The -5A flew to Australia for the 40th anniversary of the Battle of the Coral Sea IIRC. Then the -5A came out west from the 1982 Airsho in Harlengen. I was the youngest of the crew to fly her to OAK. Back in the mid to late 90's during an inspection , corrosion was found on the main spar and the aircraft grounded. The hull is in storage in Texas, somewhere.

Dave
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X