Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real geek question and the possible key to stregas success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real geek question and the possible key to stregas success?

anyone see what was written on the bottom of the side doors of Strega's telemetry buggy? could this have anything to do with Tigers ease of overtaking?

Re: Real geek question and the possible key to stregas success?

by the way before anyone gets too excited, it did occur to me when i saw it that it could have been put on as a joke

Comment

I don't know if there was a "fix" in the bugs or just better stuff, If I recall I remember them having a V-12 Company come over and show them some stuff, I don't know how much they showed them or if a am just daydreaming,

This year they made sure they did it right and they took care of there stuff all week and it paid off with a bit of luck of course..
      Last edited by RRMERLIN7; 09-22-2008, 06:44 AM.
      W.Hughes

Comment

there was a sticker on the bottom of the Telemetry buggy door saying "Nitrous Oxide " don't know if anyone else noticed it I suspect it was a joke, but............just maybe...... not

Comment

Knowing Tiger...the NOs decal is just there to further sew doubt and get into the heads of the other teams. I'm pretty sure he does not use it.
          Red
          chanting...400+

Comment

I believe he has in the past. Wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Jarrod

Comment

Dont discount the Rousch Aviation backing, how many engineers does JR have on his payroll? Nitrous is a great way to blow a motor. My feeling is that he has access to high perf parts via JR, and he (JR) was spotted in the pits many times. And I am happy to see JR get involved, the sport needs all the big $$ backing it can get.

Comment

I agree with you Bob. Jack Roush has great engineers working for him and I am sure that made a difference.

Frank C.

Comment

on the other hand Jack Rouch could maybe learn something bout supercharging from Rolls Royce

Comment

Do not believe Jack Roush can supercharge his race teams. Something about NASCAR rules. They are worse than RARA. If you were talking about race cars.

Frank C.

Comment

Maybe they're using N2O in small doses as an aftercooler. I noticed the Merlins are running intake tubes direct from the blower outlet to the inlet manifolds, with no intercooler brick along the way.
                      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini
                        Maybe they're using N2O in small doses as an aftercooler. I noticed the Merlins are running intake tubes direct from the blower outlet to the inlet manifolds, with no intercooler brick along the way.
                        That, I believe, is what is referred to as a "tube" motor, where the after cooling is done "chemically" via ADI in the Tube. Someone please correct me if I have been mis-informed.
                        I've always heard that the V's don't like NO2 very much, in fact none of the hopped up race motors do, because manifold pressure is already so high. Even the Bear only uses it on occasion, I believe, like when she used to let the Stangs reel her in a bit, then she'd juice just a for a second and open up her lead again!

Comment

Originally posted by forbergler
                          That, I believe, is what is referred to as a "tube" motor, where the after cooling is done "chemically" via ADI in the Tube. Someone please correct me if I have been mis-informed.
                          I've always heard that the V's don't like NO2 very much, in fact none of the hopped up race motors do, because manifold pressure is already so high. Even the Bear only uses it on occasion, I believe, like when she used to let the Stangs reel her in a bit, then she'd juice just a for a second and open up her lead again!
                          The Rare Bear rarely even when everybody said she did had to resort to Nitrous Oxide. However enough was carried on board to last the entire race, at various flow levels. There were some exceptionally stunning examples of when Nitrous was used, but they are not often the ones where everybody was sure that Nitrous was being used. The greatest example was the 1989 Gold race when Tiger was real careful about sneaking up on Lyle in his shadow and passed him at a rather god clip only to be re-passed seconds later. That re-pass showed more of the deck of cards than Lyle and Rare Bear ever wanted to show, it was full throttle, full RPM, with the medium sized Nitrous jetting installed. Years later when I was working for him, Dwight Thorn told me that pass stunned him in the power the Bear had on tap. The Rare Bear in preperation for the 3Km record tested with Nitrous Oxide for up to twenty minutes duration. The biggest problem with Nitrous Oxide in unlimited air racing is it really misunderstood. Greg Shaw is probably without a doubt the most versed person on long term use of Nitrous Oxide in large piston engines.

P.S. There are much cooler chemicals in the kit than Nitrous Oxide, but I'm glad to see that they are not so well known that everybody is throwing their names around. for the beginning of the mystery of that, you would have to go back to the "Better living through Chemistry" cartoon on Rare Bear at Hamilton 1988. But as I sit here snickering, that is really no more than a snipe hunt.
                          Last edited by BellCobraIV; 09-23-2008, 07:27 AM.
                          John Slack

Comment

Methanol?

Meth makes my WRX go like stink.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus
                              Methanol?

Meth makes my WRX go like stink.
                              No, I'm not taling about Chemistry in the generally known world of Air Racing Chemistry. It helped to have a real Chemi-geek on the team. Even though just to set the record straight. When AeroShell 15W50 was a sponsor, I inquired about getting Triptane as I thought it would be fun to be able to exploit our sponsorship with Shell and run something nobody else could. Shell informed me that it is made in research quantities only and they did not feal it was necessary to make enough for us to tune and race with. But that would have been cool.
                              John Slack

Comment

Working...
                              X