Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty

On Wednesday evening, Sept. 9, 2008, a unique and special event took place at Stead Field. That was when three stunning examples of the Grumman F7F Tigercat were brought together for the first time in ages. I started setting this photoshoot up during Oshkosh. That is when I found out John Sessions was planning on bringing his Tigercat "Bad Kitty" to the Rolls Royce Heritage Invitational. The wheels started turning immediately, and I contacted Mr. Sessions to get his take on the possibility of accomplishing a two ship Tigercat shoot. He aggreed as did Mike Brown. Sessions also owns the stunning B model Mustang, Impatient Virgin, that was participating in the Rolls Royce Heritage event. What a magnificent restoration! Anyway, a little over a week before the air races I received an email from Marshe Pike, coordinator of the Heritage Invitational, informing me that Clay Lacy would be bringing a third Tigercat to Reno. Once I received this information I just had to contact Mr. Lacy and see if he would be interested in being part of something truely special, a THREE ship Tigercat shoot? Lacy agreed almost immediately upon hearing who the other Tigercats were. And so, I now had the rare opportunity to photograph three of the big cats, and I could not believe it myself. I had the best time during the shoot and I have to thank Mike Brown, Clay Lacy, John Sessions, and John Muszala for bringing these fine examples to Reno and allowing me the opportunity to photograph these three cats. I also want to thank Scott Slocum for providing his Bonanza as the photoship. By the way, the sound of those radial engines groaning outside the door of the photoship was sweet music. As one person so apply put it into perspective, "Three Tigercats, are you kidding me?" No I am not. I can't share all the photos from the shoot as there are other interested parties. I can share a few and hope this will wet a few of your appetities for the time being.

Dave
    Attached Files

Re: Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty

Dave, this is some your best work! Great job!! I couldn't wait to see some of you work with these three beauties. Although I thought Victor stole your screen name when I read the title

Comment

Really cool. Would the "interested party" be a well known magazine that specializes in the "classics" of aviation?
      "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

If you are refering to Air Classics, I am affraid that Michael O'Leary does not venture out of his inner circle for material for his publications. What a shame, as I think these particular photos would be of interest to his readers. They will find a home somewhere, of that I am certain. Thank you for your interest, and appreciation.

Dave

Comment

Cool pics... Awesome to see some big iron from grumman surviving
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Dave, I am a big fan of yours and I have to say that these are the sweetest photos you have ever posted! Thank you so much for sharing with us!
            Tony

Comment

Is there a pic with all three in it or did I read your narrative wrong (photo plane and 3 'Cats)

Just curious, I need a new desktop photo

Great Pics!
              Don

Comment

Hope this works , shots from the pig pen , Bubba
                Attached Files

Comment

Dave, thanks for posting all the pic's from Reno. They are well done. Does Clay own the Tigercat that he was flying?

TIA,

Lynn

Comment

OUTSTANDING!!!
                    Bill Garnett
                    InterstellarDust
                    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Great photo in this month's Air & Space -- any chance of this photo being available as a poster commercially or privately? Thanks for preserving these great planes on camera!

Comment

I could be talked into offering this image, or a similar image as a large print if there was a enough interest to have then printed up. What dimension prints did you have in mind?

Dave

Comment

8.5 x 11 For me! Please.

Eric
                          Cheers

Comment

Any size that you make available I will support. I have to believe others wil too!

Thanks for your work and the opportunity to have a lasting copy of this rare event!

Comment

I'm in. Wall sized would be nice but I'll settle for something a bit smaller I guess
                              Rachel

Comment

Working...
                              X