Anybody else notice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else notice?

It looked like Tiger was wearing a liquid cool skull cap and vest. Is this what it was and if so are there any other racers that use this sort of cooling? Just curious.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stevo; 09-17-2008, 11:24 PM.
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Re: Anybody else notice?

That is for cooling and Steve-O (Hinton Jr.) has the same exact setup.

I don't recall any other pilots wearing them, but then again I haven't really paid attention. Does anyone know?

Comment

Would anyone add the weight to a racer for a cooling system for the pilot?

How about if you had a cooling system for the aircraft that could also cool the pilot?

Reever

Comment

I believe it is possible that Jack Roush is more involved with Team Strega than with just engine help. Thanks, KC

Comment

No, Tiger's been doing the cool suit for a really long time, didn't just start doing it this year. It's pre Roush.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Reever
            Would anyone add the weight to a racer for a cooling system for the pilot?

How about if you had a cooling system for the aircraft that could also cool the pilot?

Reever

The cool suit setup does not add that much weight.

Michael

Comment

It's been there since at least 1990, when I saw him with it @ Denver. Probably started wearing it mid to late 80s.
              Last edited by John H; 09-18-2008, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Bingo, Tiger wearing it was featured on a Skyfire vid from I think the late 80s.
                _________
                -Matt
                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Lyle had suits with special frozen packages that some of the sprint car guys used, also they make a big difference. I was measuring temperatures in the Rare bear cockpit once with a digital pyrometer after a Saturday race prior to moving the radios out into the wing and prior to augmenting the air away from the fuselage, the temps after landing, after taxiing in after getting Lyle out were around 195 degrees F.
                  John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                    Lyle had suits with special frozen packages that some of the sprint car guys used, also they make a big difference. I was measuring temperatures in the Rare bear cockpit once with a digital pyrometer after a Saturday race prior to moving the radios out into the wing and prior to augmenting the air away from the fuselage, the temps after landing, after taxiing in after getting Lyle out were around 195 degrees F.
                    Yeah, it's hot. But at least it's a thermonuclear hot!
                    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Comment

yeah, cools suit technology has been around in car racing since the early 80's. they use a very low tech plastic cooler filled with ice and water and an electric pump to circulate it. I dip a water ski rashguard in ice cold water then put it on my naked body before putting on my chest protector, nylon jersey etc to stay cool while riding motocross. It's crude but it works!

Comment

Working...
                        X