Dago Tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dago Tail

Here's a couple of "after" and "after" pics of Dago's missing trim tab and replaced rudder...
    Attached Files
    Sky Critter

Re: Dago Tail

Whats with the primer splotches?

Comment

the most important part of that...

is a lesson. Dan flys with the trim neutral as he has lost tabs in the past. that way if you lose it it has no effect on the control pressures needed to keep the plane where you want it. Danny is a very smart cookie!

Comment

Originally posted by AlisoBob
        Whats with the primer splotches?
        Primer over bondo patches they applied.

Comment

Saturday After the Gold Race DAGO had ALOT!! of Oil All over the Airplane and even on the Cowling... Anyone know what caused that ???

Sunday looked like she ran just fine!
          W.Hughes

Comment

An oil line cracked on the back side which wasn't easy to find. It was found and repaired the next day.

Comment

triva does any know in 1981 Dan lost his Trim Tab in the Silver to gat in to the Gold who loned him one? Shawn

Comment

Dr. Hisey & Miss America lost a trim tab a few years back as well.
                Sky Critter

Comment

Didn't Voodoo lose one as well with Bob Hannah at the controls? It was about 5 to 10 years ago, when he lost vertical control and the plane went straight up with something like a 9 G pull. As I recall, didn't Bob blackout and regain consciousness sometime later to regain control of the aircraft? I remember watching that at Reno thinking it was a very scary moment.

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude
                    Didn't Voodoo lose one as well with Bob Hannah at the controls? It was about 5 to 10 years ago, when he lost vertical control and the plane went straight up with something like a 9 G pull. As I recall, didn't Bob blackout and regain consciousness sometime later to regain control of the aircraft? I remember watching that at Reno thinking it was a very scary moment.
                    I believe that it was elevator trim, rather than rudder trim. If I remember correctly, it was either because of the "chines" that stream back from the trailing edge root, or because of a bad wing incidence change (anyone?) but they had been running almost full trim deflection to counter it.. when it went, they lost one side of the elevator control and Bob instantly pitched up heavily, woke up on with his face in the dirt on the floor and his left hand jammed against the throttle full stop...

Somewhere on this site, there's an audio recording of the radio during the event.. it was chilling, to say the least! Sherman had quite a day that race also!

Wow.. I have almost zero extremely short term memory but can remember much from years ago.. *sigh*...

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Found story where Bob Hannah talks about the trim incident.. this is from back in the day when we strove to make this site a viable electron publication..

Man.. I'd like to get it back like that again!

Here's the link.. http://aafo.com/racing/people/hannah_2.htm

A good read!

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                        Somewhere on this site, there's an audio recording of the radio during the event.. it was chilling, to say the least! Sherman had quite a day that race also!
                        I would love to hear that if you can find the link to the radio. I've never heard it before.

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                        Found story where Bob Hannah talks about the trim incident.. this is from back in the day when we strove to make this site a viable electron publication..

Man.. I'd like to get it back like that again!

Here's the link.. http://aafo.com/racing/people/hannah_2.htm

A good read!

Ah, thanks for the link Wayne, and the refresher of my memory! Wow, that was a long time ago, it sure didn't seem like it.

Just curious, why did Bob Hannah give up air racing? It seems like since he "retired" from the sport that he more or less just dropped off the face of the earth. Have you ever seen him at Reno as a spectator since then? Does he still fly warbirds in any capacity?

Thanks!

Comment

Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Shawn,
                            I'll guess Bob Hoover, I'd have to look thru my slides from then to check and don't have time.
                            Was'nt that the story behind Merlin's Magic's yellow rudder also?
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Bob Hoover loaned Merlin's Magic the Rudder, since Hoover's P-51 had a run in with smoke & thunders truck and could not fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X