Thoughts on 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on 2008

This was a very interesting year . Here are my personal ramblings about how this year went.

Overall - Very good year! Only one loss prior to the event. Lots of other drama that all ended well. (except for some deeply damaged pocket books)

Gold Unlimited - Loved it! Four of the fastestracers on the ramp together Sunday. Its been a long time since I could remember being that excited about the Gold on Sunday. There was no telling what was going to happen but you knew for sure it was going to FAST!

I told a friend after all the set backs it would be fantastic to see Tiger back in the winners circle. Woot! That's what we got! Great seeing the Merlins are back. 2009 should be amazing!

I also thought to myself before thay launched Sunday that by some accounts the old "trouble comes in threes" could bite the Bear. Stuck throttle last year and the gear failure earlier in the week left me thinking could there be a the "third" disaster coming. Stupid superstition to be sure so I kept it to myself. Luckily if there was something to that old saying it all ended with the bear mostly intact and ready to be prepped for next year.

I do hope the Bear team gets to a point where everything seems less "last minute". It can't be a good to fly the plane for the first time since the prior year in the last 10 minutes of the final qualifying session.

Was it my imagination or did we see Pardue run his bearcat faster than ever? Amazing! Also loved to see how fast my favorite Yak went this year. With all the other drama I don't think anyone noticed Chech Mate running solid 450 laps! Amazing!

Also, not the year of the "naughts". That Argonaught fire was scary to watch, I was having "Super Corsair flashbacks" but again, in the end all came out better than anyone could expect. I am sure both planes will be back better than ever next year!

Silver Unlimited - Great! I could watch the Tiger Cat run pylons all day! What a sound! Brought me back to watching a Tiger Cat water bomber working out of Falcon Field in AZ years ago.

Bronze Unlimited - Woot! Another Hinton joins the fun! Can't wait to see him in something faster next year!

Jets - Fast, still waiting for it to be a "race" and not a parade. I have changed my mind about this class a bit. I think it could be interesting sometime in the future if we ever end up with some "racing" happening. This has to be the most "turn key" class there is. race all event, then fuel up and fly home when it is over. (Just don't think about your fuel bill! :-))

Please RARA, if you don't have enough planes for a real "Bronze/Silver/Gold" bracket in jets next year don't run the same race over and over!

Super Sport - John Sharp is the best of the best. John again proved that he and his team bring a degree of professionalism to the sport that is unmatched. I have no idea what it would take to beat him at this point.

Also the eggs are back!!! Woot! I love the Questair and it was great to see one running so fast! Now how about that egg on methanol next year? :-) Does anyone know if the horizontal stab failure that happened several years back was a quirk or has there been a change made to address that?

Sport - Enjoyed it, loved seeing the semi-fixed gear Questair do so well.

T6 - No opinion.

Biplane - There are two class for now, one with only one plane in it! Race 62 was amazing! I think he actually lapped the entire field once. Also love the crazy prop! I am really looking forward to biplane when we finally see some of the new purpose built racers arrive!

F1 - Great year (other than the tragic loss prior to the event). Endevour did great in its new owners hands. As always some of the nicest folks out having a blast and letting us watch!

Air Show - Seemed way off this year. I loved the Taylorcraft but otherwise I think this is the least interesting year I can remember. Thunderbirds were good but they can really slow down the pace of the event. They produce a lot of time sitting in the stands with nothing happening.

Does anyone know how we ended up with such a light year in this area? I realize that a lot of the acts I grew to love are gone for one reason or another. Are there any acts out there that could match Jimmy Franklin for example? Do we just have a shortage of excellent airshow acts?

Military demonstrations - I seperate this from the Thunderbirds because over the history of Reno there is a tradition of seeing a lot of different military planes demonstrated in addition to the demonstration teams. This year we had the F-22 and that was it. To be fair I expect we have everything we can spare deployed so a light year in this area is not surprising. The F-22 is amazing. I pity any pilot that finds themselves on the wrong end of that ships weapons! I wonder how you can go any farther with fighter design and still keep a pilot alive in the cockpit! Does make me excited to see an F-35 someday though!

Rocket Racing - We didn't see one fly but looking at the materials in the booth, thanks but no thanks. Overly complicated and strange if you ask me.

Summary - Very good year for Reno. I had a friend attend for the very first time. He came away amazed at the experience. Not only was he impressed by the air racing he was surprised to realize how accessable the entire event is. That this is such a grassroots community so open to anyone that chooses to be a part of it. He saw what a special thing Reno can be. He will definitely be back next year (and is looking into a Cassutt! :-) )

So, I'm glad I went and I'll be making my plans for 2009 soon!

Michele

Re: Thoughts on 2008

Good summary.

Comment

Saturday's gold race was the best race! Dego and Strega passing each other was awsome. Cant wait till 09

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl
        Also the eggs are back!!! Woot! I love the Questair and it was great to see one running so fast! Now how about that egg on methanol next year? :-) Does anyone know if the horizontal stab failure that happened several years back was a quirk or has there been a change made to address that?
        Sure, don't modify the elevator down spring assembly and enter a PIO. (the accident report can be found here:http://www.aopa.org/asf/ntsb/search_ntsb.cfm by searching for Questair crashes in NV. Pay close attention to the probable cause statement at the bottom of the report.
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

"Also the eggs are back!!! Woot! I love the Questair and it was great to see one running so fast! Now how about that egg on methanol next year? :-) Does anyone know if the horizontal stab failure that happened several years back was a quirk or has there been a change made to address that?"

Thanks for the comment. Yes, the Venture ("Bad" Intentions) you saw running was built for Reno. Thicker skins, additional spars and other reinforcements. It was running on a bunch of methanol as ADI and avgas, the ratio I can't say and the boost pressure that is known by two of us.

For this year we installed a "Simple Digital Systems" auto racing auto fuel injection system with a fuel rail and auto injectors. Also included a ignition system that is set off the boost pressure. The engine was single lever for power. The mixture knob worked an oil cooler door that was closed at race speeds because we had low temperatures. The reason we went so fast was that we were test flying well before the races. The only change we made at Reno was to increase the flow in the inlet water cooling system because we had water left at the end of the races. Temperatures were what Continental would have considered acceptable for long term operation.

Mike miscalculated his laps in qualifying. The third lap was timed at 381+. We never were pushed for second, and Jon Sharp was faster than us. We tried to put pressure on Jon, and Sunday stayed within 20 seconds for at least 4 laps, but he definately was faster and it was not painful to be beat by such a great gentleman and dedicated air racer.

The team that did all the work consisted of the pilot, Mike Dacey and myself. Mike received the Tommy Rose Memorial award voted for by the Sports class pilots for outstanding airmanship.

The airframe has a lot of clean-ups that we could not get to this year. The air inlets are out of the 50"s and no effort, due to time and resources, was made to imrpove the aerodynamic things. We have learned some things to improve the engine systems, but they are minor.

Bruce Patton
          Crew Chief, bottle washer and exhausted amateur mechanic.

Comment

Right on observations...( IMHO )...I noted fewer crowds,( economy & gas I 'spose )...I'm thinking we're getting close to the "Tipping Point"
            ( note gasoline prices last month or so ) on the races & especially pit-passes. Jeez, I hate to whine...but based on my experiences the last 9+ years....it's getting out of hand...& I will be writing RARA too. $350 for motorhome parking is an embarassment. The folks @ condo parking I always use agree,( gave me a discount, & I'd never think about parking anywhere else ).

Poorer "air" show...Higher prices on some left over shirts 'n such indicate the "Marketing Folks" ain't been sleeping, ( as they hosers never do...don't rag on me I've been one )....all add up to a CHOICE on what we do with our money. Gosh, I LOVE TO SPEND IT AT THE RACES.

But....choices need to be made, sooner or later.

Hear me Mr. Houghton...???

GregS

Comment

I agree the races were great... Great racing and great flying. The F22 was unbelievable.

The eggs, wow read the NTSB report. Not sure why an airplane is allowed to run above VNE. Do the other Questar's have a higher VNE?

What about the May Days… These guys do an EXCEPTIONAL JOB of getting a bad situation solved. I think it was Argonaught with engine failure and other issues and a beautiful deal stick, well done. Bear with no left gear, run through the options most not so good with bingo fuel and again a solution. Thank you for doing what you do frigin do FLY GREAT.

Lastly, I still have a huge problem with the announcers talking over the races coming down the valley of speed. The ONLY time they did not talk over the sound was the gold race and just Straga and Dego. Unacceptable I have complained before but alas. Not sure the marketing that shows folks paying big bucks want to here the guy on the horn and NOT the airplanes. Done venting

I’ll be back with wide eyes and ear plugs

Comment

I think overall the races were better this year than ever. The biggest postive factor was that the big boys really made a great showing. Fridays gold race was like a gun fight. There were more passes in that race than I can count. I was speechless after watching it from the fenceline. Mainly because I had lost my voice from yelling!
                I would have bet on September fury or the Bear taking the sunday gold and both Mustangs with a Mayday. But I was pleasantly surprised with Tigers win. He was definitely on cloud 9 after the race. Well deserved I might add.
                The flip flopper airplanes really don't interest me that much. I know they are needed to draw in the non aviation enthusiast. However the little Taylorcraft was very good.
                As I and others have said before, the only negative is the announcers and crappy music that are way too loud! Especially in the box seat area. It is non stop. half the reason I come to the races is to visit with like minded fans. The over the top volume really ruins this for me. I spend about three grand each year at the races. I wonder how many people don't go because of the pa system volume. Multiply that times 3,000 dollars RARA.
                If I want to wreck my ears I can go to a rock concert or crank the tunes in my car.

Comment

Very good summary spacegirl. The Thunderbirds are fabulous pilots but the show is pretty standard. Now the Blue Angels might spice things a bit. More speed and controlled daring. Biased towards Navy pilots, because they have to find and trap on a carrier. My Pop worked on Hellcats and Corsairs on the USS Hancock(CV-19) during WWII. Nothing can compare to a radial lighting up and idling on the ramp. Had the good fortune to watch September Fury do a night run up to full power. Thank you Kerch and David, and Monnie Brown for being so nice.

Frank C.

Comment

The racing was great! A BIG THANK you to all the race pilots and teams.

The Unlimiteds were as good as gets this year, Strega (congrats Tiger, hope we see you next year), Dago Red (awesome to see her back in the race), Rare Bear (always a favorite, hope the gremlins are worked out for 09) September Fury (you gotta love her). Hated to Drednaught sitting in the pits this year, I hope she's back and strong for 09. Czechmate, it wouldn't be an umlimited race without the little Yak screamin at the heels of leaders. Voodoo, gald to see her in the race, hope the monster engine is fixed for 09, and always a treat to see Howard Pardue's Bearcat, Argonaught, and Big Boss Man screaming around the pylons.

The F-22 was awesome! One more reason to be a proud American!

The airshow, pretty lame compared to years past. The Extra 300 and Taylorcraft were very cool and showed exceptional flying skills. The Thunderbirds are always great. What happened to the car drop (there was a Chinook on the ramp), Julie Clark, Jimmy Franklin, Sean Tucker, Theresa Stokes, etc?

The down side, losing Erica Simpson, Vaya Con Dios and prayers for her family

Reno is still the greatest event anywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Airpirate
                      Reno is still the greatest event anywhere!
                      Amen to that!!

Comment

Reply to three things in the preceding posts on the thread that I'm too lazy to quote;

The airshow heavy hitters are all involved in the very high paying sport called Red Bull Air Racing. The guys that aren't involved are trying everything they can to become involved. The top teams make millions per year.
                        (The Reno kind of air racing will never pay anything. I love that one AAFO poster that has his signature saying something like "Red Bull has no earthly idea what racing is". Yeah... This RARA Reno thing isn't a sport, it's a joke on the participants.)

Running Experimental category racing planes past redlines is what experimental means. Otherwise it's called flying around in certified airplanes. If one wants to operate faster than the airplane's VNE, that is called experimental operation. Rare Bear operates at 25 kts above VNE in every race.Sparky the Mustang with Jelly Belly's on it is operating within the redlines.

Jimmy Franklin is dead.

Comment

Loved your comments.

I always laugh when I see that signature. Red Bull makes more money in one year than NCAR has made since it's birth. More people see Red Bull than have EVER seen NCAR. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both - but for people to throw stones at it makes me laugh.

I overheard one of the Sport Class racers pointing to the Unlimiteds and T6s on the ramp calling them "VINTAGE AIR RACING".

Comment

So are you saying the Red Bull racers could'nt come to Reno because why?

Wasn't Mike Mangold running in the Jet Race? Does he no longer race Red Bull?

I don't think there is anyone on this board that doesn't know Jimmy Franklin is dead but thanks anyway. I am pretty sure the comment was directed as 'are no more acts like Jimmy's?'.

Comment

Not how I read it, I read it as "where are..."
                              If not meant that way, no problem.

Mike also flies for American Airlines. No correlation to Jet racing or acro flying. What is your point?
                              If it was that he has the ability to fly at the Reno Airshow, yes he is able. Can he with the Red Bull contract, I don't know. His airplanes are on the road with Red Bull, which is the equivelent to the FIA F-1 Circus.

It's OK to hate Red Bull, but the fact remains it's the World Class air race. RARA is ARCA at Fontana at best. Reminds me of Manzanita mostly.

Comment

Working...
                              X