What happened to Dago and Strega?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Dago and Strega?

I didn't even see them listed in the race results for Sunday's gold race.

Re: What happened to Dago and Strega?

Alright, now I'm confused. The Gold race results listed on the Air Racing page are from 2005. Why don't they have the 2008 results posted? I'm sensing that Strega won. If that's so, then what happened to Dago and Bear?

Comment

Dago was second and the Bear lost her motor on about lap 4. Penny got her down right away with lotsa smoke.
      Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

Why do they have the 2005 race results posted on the air racing page of this site instead of this year's results?

Comment

Go to the Reno Air Racing Association and click on the results. I tried to link it, but it doesn't want to work.
          Last edited by Bigger Al; 09-16-2008, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grampi
            Why do they have the 2005 race results posted on the air racing page of this site instead of this year's results?

Where are you looking?

www.airrace.org has the results database- just click the "results 2008" link on the left sidebar and enter your search parameters (class and date) to get any race you want.

Comment

Go to; www.airrace.org

Comment

Thanks all. I noticed something a little strange looking at Sunday's gold race results. Dago's race speed was almost identical to their qualifying speed which I had heard was accomplished at just 100 lbs of manifold pressure. Isn't their goal to get 125-135 from these engines and if so, does that mean there was something wrong with Dago's engine to where they couldn't go above 100?

Comment

Manifold pressure is measured in " not LBS and the engine was running very good, Dan flew home on monday with no problems. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't second place considered a descent showing?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Martin
                    Manifold pressure is measured in " not LBS and the engine was running very good, Dan flew home on monday with no problems. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't second place considered a descent showing?
                    Descent? It was an AWESOME race and effort buy your Dad and Dago!!! Hats off to the whole team!

Eric
                    Cheers

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't second place considered a descent showing?
                      Absolutely! Congratulations and thanks for providing us railbirds with some exciting racing.
                      Last edited by Lance; 09-16-2008, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I bought a shirt and a hat. I'll wear them proudly.

Comment

Eric I pmed you about some shirts.

Is the plane hangared in San Jose?
                          CFI/CFII/MEI
                          www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                          www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by grampi
                            Thanks all. I noticed something a little strange looking at Sunday's gold race results. Dago's race speed was almost identical to their qualifying speed which I had heard was accomplished at just 100 lbs of manifold pressure. Isn't their goal to get 125-135 from these engines and if so, does that mean there was something wrong with Dago's engine to where they couldn't go above 100?
                            Keep in mind that qualifying speeds and race speeds are two very different things. Our qualifying lap was wonderful because of the sportsmanship of two great Unlimited pilots who moved up and off the course while Dan was at full steam for his timed lap. Dan obviously didn't have that luxury during the Gold final, as lap traffic on the last 2-3 laps will nearly always require that you alter your course. In fact, we had Dago timed in the mid-480's for the first couple laps on Sunday, but once Strega passed and lap traffic became an issue, we were losing about 1-1.5 seconds per lap. Hope this helps.

SA

Comment

Originally posted by Smee Again
                              Keep in mind that qualifying speeds and race speeds are two very different things. Our qualifying lap was wonderful because of the sportsmanship of two great Unlimited pilots who moved up and off the course while Dan was at full steam for his timed lap. Dan obviously didn't have that luxury during the Gold final, as lap traffic on the last 2-3 laps will nearly always require that you alter your course. In fact, we had Dago timed in the mid-480's for the first couple laps on Sunday, but once Strega passed and lap traffic became an issue, we were losing about 1-1.5 seconds per lap. Hope this helps.

SA
                              It sounds like you have access to some info most people don't have.

Was Dago only pushing 100" when qualifying at 474 MPH?

How much over 100" was the engine capable of?

Did lap traffic prevent Dago from running 490's, or even 500's?

Comment

Working...
                              X