After the Unlimited race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After the Unlimited race

In the past, they typically have the top 3 Unlimiteds pull up in front of the stands after the race. This year it was only "Tiger" & Strega. Mr. Penney stopped to congratulate Team Strega on the ride back from the runway. Why didn't Martin and Brown pull up to the podium?
    Sky Critter

Re: After the Unlimited race

I heard them being paged by over the radio to pull up. Why they didnt is anyones guess.

Comment

Dan said they (him and dago) didnt deserve to because they didnt win. he sounded mad
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Dan didn't pull up to the podium because it's called the winners circle, we came in 2nd place. 2nd place is good, but it still isn't 1st place. The next time you almost win the lottery are you going to call a press conference, or sign autographs. It was Tiger's day, he and his crew earned it fair and square.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Martin
          Dan didn't pull up to the podium because it's called the winners circle, we came in 2nd place. 2nd place is good, but it still isn't 1st place. The next time you almost win the lottery are you going to call a press conference, or sign autographs. It was Tiger's day, he and his crew earned it fair and square.
          That's certainly their prerogative. I only questioned it as it's normally been the top three in front of the stands.
          Sky Critter

Comment

Easy Eric, Easy! Consider your audience!
            Nice job, BTW. Wish I was there.

Comment

The next time you almost win the lottery are you going to call a press conference, or sign autographs.

Son, I\'m sure that your comments were well-intended, but they don\'t exactly reflect positively on the effort the team made this year.

Traditionally (and I mean going way back before even your father started racing) they would encourage the \'podium\' finishers to all pull up on the ramp. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don\'t.

But dang. That comment just kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth after an exciting week of watching Dago Red do so well. I mean, I was actually happy at how well you fellas did. Perhaps now, considering your comments, I should be mad and kick the dirt.

I\'m sorry if this comment offends anyone or is out of line, but I have been racing many forms of motorsports for a LONG time...and that just reeks of \"I didn\'t win, so I\'m gonna take my ball and go home\".

Jim

Comment

There are no sour apples from our group at all, we had a great week and everything went very well. We had already been parked at the pits and shutting down when Dan was asked to come up to the top of the hill. I have seen it the past, sometimes more than one stops & sometimes they don't. It was indeed Tigers day as well as Vintage V-12's and the entire crew. They deserved it as they've worked just as hard as anyone else. Thanks to all the fans for their support during the week!!!

Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow
                  There are no sour apples from our group at all, we had a great week and everything went very well. We had already been parked at the pits and shutting down when Dan was asked to come up to the top of the hill. I have seen it the past, sometimes more than one stops & sometimes they don\'t. It was indeed Tigers day as well as Vintage V-12\'s and the entire crew. They deserved it as they\'ve worked just as hard as anyone else. Thanks to all the fans for their support during the week!!!

Sparrow
                  thanks for that observation, Mike.

You guys did fantastic, and it was nice to see all the frustrations finally pay off.

Comment

There are no sour apples from our group at all, we had a great week and everything went very well. We had already been parked at the pits and shutting down when Dan was asked to come up to the top of the hill. I have seen it the past, sometimes more than one stops & sometimes they don't. It was indeed Tigers day as well as Vintage V-12's and the entire crew. They deserved it as they've worked just as hard as anyone else. Thanks to all the fans for their support during the week!!!

Sparrow
                    Congratulations, good job
                    John Slack

Comment

Heard Mike Brown (or maybe his crew) on the radio say they needed to get to the pits to put their cooling blower on Sept. Fury.

Comment

Sparrow
                        I sure enjoyed watching Dago all week. The pass on Saturday was really cool. You guys busted your @ss all week and were in a excellent position to win. Hope to see this combo of pilot and crew next year.

Comment

From Dan Martin...

Dan has been reading here but does not post. I received this in an email from him and I feel we should set the record straight..

" I read a comment on 'after the unlimited race' that disturbed me. It was in regards to not stopping at the podeum after the race. By the time race control contacted me I was already in the process of shutting down and was worn out. I told them that Tiger should enjoy his victory and that he deserved it. The comment about 'I did not win' was made by another pilot. Just want to set the record straight. Thanks"

--Dan Martin

Pretty cool guy if you ask me!!!!

Congratulations to Dan Martin and the entire Dago Red Air Race team for an extremely exciting and successful week of racing at RENO '08!!

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I am normally a diehard Rare Bear fan and have been since it was Able Cat, but when I heard that Dan Martin was going to fly Dago Red again this year I had to change my thinking for at least one year. Dan Martin deserves to win a gold unlimited race--he has more than paid his dues, he is one of the all time great P-51 pilots that doesn't get enough credit for his skills-what a line he was flying all week! I was also pulling for the Sparrow engine to show it's stuff and it did. No, I have never talked to Dan Martin, but just from observing, I have a great deal of respect for him and his flying/racing abilities. I hope that we can see the combination of him and Dago Red racing next year. I believe that they would be much faster than they were this year. Thanks Dan Martin, Sparrow engines and everyone else associated with the Dago Red effort this year--it certainly helped to make this a very memorable year. Of course, hats off to all the participated and won--they no doubt deserved their victories, but Dago Red--it just seemed extra special/extra exciting this year. Lets hope for a full blown shoot-out next year between all the top racers next year on Sunday!! This year was a tease for what we could be seeing on Sunday!

Comment

Re: From Dan Martin...

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                              Dan has been reading here but does not post. I received this in an email from him and I feel we should set the record straight..

" I read a comment on 'after the unlimited race' that disturbed me. It was in regards to not stopping at the podeum after the race. By the time race control contacted me I was already in the process of shutting down and was worn out. I told them that Tiger should enjoy his victory and that he deserved it. The comment about 'I did not win' was made by another pilot. Just want to set the record straight. Thanks"

--Dan Martin

Pretty cool guy if you ask me!!!!

Congratulations to Dan Martin and the entire Dago Red Air Race team for an extremely exciting and successful week of racing at RENO '08!!

Dan has always been the coolest! I loved that low line he flew around the course all week...wow! Great job Dago and Dan!

John

Comment

Working...
                              X