Race 232

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race 232

September Fury flew like a "Bracket Racer" all week....

473 mph
    469 mph
    472 mph
    473 mph

Does anyone know if Kerch thought 470's was enough to win, of is that all she was capable of this week?

Re: Race 232

I hear that 2900rpm and wide open was all they ever did. If that didn't burn down the Merlins, so be it. Brown wanted to fly it home, and if they fail another engine, he's done racing.

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr
      I hear that 2900rpm and wide open was all they ever did. If that didn't burn down the Merlins, so be it. Brown wanted to fly it home, and if they fail another engine, he's done racing.
      Was that also the reason behind September Pops not bumping up to the Gold on Sunday?

Comment

Thanks Flyr....

Comment

Originally posted by Lance
          Was that also the reason behind September Pops not bumping up to the Gold on Sunday?
          Racing one airplane is hard enough. Try fielding three and reservicing 911 again for the Gold race. Would have put too much burden on the crew.
          Last edited by Mluvara; 09-15-2008, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlisoBob
            September Fury flew like a "Bracket Racer" all week....

473 mph
            469 mph
            472 mph
            473 mph

Does anyone know if Kerch thought 470's was enough to win, of is that all she was capable of this week?
            I got some third hand info that they had an ignition problem that could not be fixed, but still had enough power to run 470's. Looks like the Merlins were due for their chance to shine.
            Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

I am happy the Merlins held up. I am unhappy only 2 made it to the finals. This year the radials were outclassed. I promise you next year will be different as the round boys wont let that happen twice lol.
              CFI/CFII/MEI
              www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
              www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

"If another engine fails on 232 he's done?" I don't beleive that!! He's got the resources to race 3 planes. they all look meticulously maintained. I'll buy the ignition problem story.

I'm puzzuled as to why the Merlins decided to run well this weekend? Mike Barrow and Nixon didn't just wake up and figure out how to make them fast and reliable. Part of the mystery and drama that makes this sport so fun!! I'm an inline guy, like the sporty, sleek look vs. the huge radial frontal area but then again Mike Brown's Sept Fury is beautiful and bad ass looking at the same time! Like the paint job and sleek canopy! Rare Bear did not look as good graphically as the artist rendition on their website. I'm getting over the Rare Bear groupie syndrome. Too many disappointments and the paint job stinks to boot!!
                Last edited by Hans Oberev; 09-15-2008, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev
                  "I'm puzzuled as to why the Merlins decided to run well this weekend? Mike Barrow and Nixon didn't just wake up and figure out how to make them fast and reliable. \
                  I suspect 90% of it is luck and timing.
                  One or two screwed up plugs, coils, or any such small detail makes a HUGE difference.

What a year it was.
                  I had the best time at Reno this year. Better than the last 10.

TJ
                  Tom Johnson,
                  Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
                  www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Id up that luck to at least 99%....

Having all the systems in the mustang in line and working reliably is awesome and rare. They require much more management. But boy they sure put on a show.
                    CFI/CFII/MEI
                    www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                    www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

"If another engine fails on 232 he's done?" I don't beleive that!! He's got the resources to race 3 planes. they all look meticulously maintained. I'll buy the ignition problem story.
                      Race prepared 3350's aren't exactly cheap and most owners that I know don't like replacing them every year!

Michael

Comment

Speaking of 232, here's a unique perspective from September Fury during Friday and Saturday's races. These are from the team's cockpit camera.

First one is the start of the race. You can see Dago.

Second one is from the valley of speed.

Bottom three are from Saturday's race.

Some may notice that there are a few parameters on screen. Some on the top right were blanked out for obvious reasons . The top left is the following:

Indicated Airspeed / Ground Speed
                        G Force

Bottom right is a GPS time stamp.

Enjoy,
                        Michael
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Mluvara; 09-15-2008, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Michael, thanks for the pix.
                          One question, what's on top of Mike's helmet?
                          Tom

Comment

It's a felt pad to protect the canopy plexiglass from being scratched.

Michael

Comment

I'm getting over the Rare Bear groupie syndrome. Too many disappointments and the paint job stinks to boot!!
                              Groupie comment aside, opinions on the paint job are subjective and lots of us happen to like it.
                              _________
                              -Matt
                              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Working...
                              X