Merlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merlins

Were the merlins in Strega and Dago built by the same shop? If so it looks like the future for the merlins is in good hands.

Jim

Re: Merlins

Dago ran a Mike Barrow "Sparrow" Merlin and Strega had a Mike Nixon mill. Good year for the water pumpers! Glad to see some monkeys jumping off of some backs.

Go Tiger!
    Red
    chanting...400+

Comment

I was standing in front of the Dego Red pit and overheard a very serious and concerned Dan Martin tell some old guys he wasn't going to celebrate anything until the race was won and official!! He was worried the Rare Bear may use nitrous. Someone said in an earlier thread that he thought Tiger was the one holding back. I guess he was right. I was asked by friends and first time Reno race fans who the favorite was going into Sunday's gold. I live in Reno and told him I wouldn't bet a dollar on who...it was going to be anybody's race!! I was disappointed the Bear didn't have anything for the other three racers and not surprised to see Strega roar to the front. For once we were treated to a race where the outcome was not predictable!!

I also learned from the two old guys (we're talking high 70's maybe low 80's) that Mike Barrows worked for Dwight Thorn in Hollister, CA. I read here on AAFO about Thorn and his Mouse motor. Am I right or getting my facts mixed up? I think I read awhile back the secret to making lasting power with the Merlins lies in the crank. Is it balancing/vibration issues or bearing issues or both?

P.S. Tried to upload a pic but file size was too big. How do you reduce file size?

Comment

its dAgo

Yes, Mr Barrow worked for/with Dwight Thorne in the past.

Comment

Geez, I even bought a dago red t-shirt and still got the spelling wrong!! Thanks for correcting me!! I took French in high school. lol! East Coaster ya know now living in Reno (great skiing). This spanish stuff is new to me.

I spelled Rare Bear rear bare once!! that has to be the all time best case of scrambling letters!! Gee maybe I could get a job wrenching on the Bear. Get a few plug wires crossed!! What is there problem? It's not funding!! Why wait till the last minute. Even the paint job was ho hum...nothing like the artist rendition on their website. Didn't have time to complete it?? I realize with only one race on the schedule it's hard to get the crew together when they have full time jobs away from the Bear but....! I'd be swearing and throwing wrenches around the hanger if I was the owner!

Comment

Barrow with no s and Thorne with an e. Got it!!

Comment

Barrow with no s and Thorne with an e. Got it!!
              Thorn... no "e"

Good photo of him (the mad scientist look) in his earlier days:

Billions of happy photos, millions of passionate customers. Gorgeous online photo albums. Protect your priceless memories. Buy beautiful prints & gifts.
              Robert Stanley -Strega fan since '86

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyR
                Thorn... no "e"

That is correct. No e

Dwight Thorn

Comment

Originally posted by Tha Doctor
                  That is correct. No e

Dwight Thorn
                  continue....

inquiring grease monkeys are happy to hear more...

Tj
                  Tom Johnson,
                  Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
                  www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Working...
                  X