What happened to the BEAR???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the BEAR???

I heard the bear pulled up in the gold final but i havent heard why. Any info would be much appreciated

Re: What happened to the BEAR???

He was smoking badly according to the announcers, so blow engine? Wasn't there, listening online.

Comment

No info ............................Penney down and safe.

Comment

thank the gods for that after friday.

Comment

The commentators just kept saying there was a lot of smoke, and he was in fourth when he pulled up....but yeah down and safe thank goodness! Congrats to Tiger - the Merlins are back!
          Cheers, Zac in NZ

RARA #1066

Comment

Originally posted by BKB
            No info ............................Penney down and safe.
            JP just said "The thing like to blowed up on me.... our engine is trashed" on the streaming audio.

Comment

John said the engine is trash.

Comment

I heard John Penny say the engine blew... He was in victory circle congratulating Tiger on the live audio streaming right after they all landed...rb

Comment

Whatever happened to his engine, he did not waste any time ....pulled up between Pylons 4 and 5, and immediately put it down on "one-four".

The prop stopped turning about half way thru rollout... So I'm guessing' the engine probably seized tooo!

One of the Fire-dudes said two or three jugs came apart...

I guess we will find out soon enough.

Comment

Yeah, you should have seen it,... Smoke billowing,...engine coming apart, ...slipping it from side to side...scrubbing speed before setting it down ....

Mr Penney and the Rare Bear team have had quite a week here....

I thought I heard somebody say..."well I've had about enough of this".....

Comment

Originally posted by BUD_XXX
                      .."well I've had about enough of this".....
                      If you are refrring to the pilot, who could blame him.

Comment

Unlike past years where you could go to the Bear Cave and Bill Hickle would tell you every detail of the program, this year, partly because Bill actually had to work on the airplane, it just seemed they were playing their cards close to the vest so I don't even know what engine they are running. I do know that they have a lot of plans in the works for next year in both airframe and engine mods but if it was Dwelle's old engine from last year I really don't think they thought they would win anyway but I may be way off base on this speculation. The leading edge cuff wasn't on and that was supposed to be worth about 10 knots or so and remember these airplanes have run way faster in the past although weather conditions play a huge factor and the course has been changed as well so maybe comparing Dago to the 507 race or the Bear to the 490 plus qual speed isn't proper. Suffice it to say the four fastest airplanes were in the final and I'm sorry many of you had to miss it. I'm a newbie, only my 19th year but I think this is my second most favorite race. Can't wait till next year!

Ron Henning
                        Ron Henning

Comment

Heard Penny say on the audio that he had to quit meeting the fire crews this way!!

JScott1

Comment

So....how many times have all of us "Bear" fans seen something close to this....? How many other round motors got the snot ran out of them this week...?...& once agin we're treated to possibly disatrous failures ( some of which must be non-coincidental?). IE: ANOTHER landing gear problem.

This post wont' last long...but as I've noted before.....what in the heck is going on????

John Penny is possibly the best pilot this sport has ever known. How many more mayday's should he have to enure before he wizely leaves this team?

Don't start with me...I have WAY too many dollars of Rare Bear merchadise in my closets & on my walls.

Sad.

Greg Stark

P.S. I'm done.

Comment

Greg S.

I feel your pain. John Penney is a great pilot. I never really thought about it until this years may-day.

However, if you think about Tiger... He had many years of may-day's. I think something like 17 with nothing to win. They were great in the 90's then had MAJOR engine problems, to the point that Tiger once said he was done and didn't come back to Reno for umpteen years...

Now he is back on top, along with Dago... The in-lines are back, as for this year, who knows what will happen in the future.

The owner of the Bear has a lot of $$$$$ and I am sure he isn't happy with the results of the race....

Look forward to the future, as you never know what will happen....

WAY TO GO STREGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Long time coming...

WRL

Comment

Working...
                              X