Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fat lady sings!

343.4 mph.

IO-550, no turbos, no ADI, no grenade happy tuning, and no quarter-million-dollar engines. Faster than any other Sport Class airplane not using ADI except the lone TM. Lots of turbo guys are pulling their cowlings tonight and dialing up the boost.

Just a Beluga belly and the best detail work possible. Mike Brown of Columbia Aviation did an incredible job of building the absolutely smoothest stock IO-550 in existence, maximizing the ram air, and cleaning up every possible bit of cooling drag.

There were lots of raised eyebrows when I put that fat belly on. Now they're furrowed. The fat lady has sung.
    Last edited by Blue Foam; 09-10-2008, 08:20 PM. Reason: addition
    Eric Ahlstrom

Re: The fat lady sings!

Appears to be Lee Behel's Legacy that Eric's excited about, in case you're wondering.
    Last edited by Apteryx; 09-10-2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

hmmm. Is this confirmed?
      CFI/CFII/MEI
      www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
      www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

looks like it is! good speed for that setup!!!
        CFI/CFII/MEI
        www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
        www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
          Appears to be Lee Behel's Legacy that Eric's excited about, in case you're wondering.
          Yes, it's Race 5, Lee Behel. Lee also flew in the colder morning air when it was perfectly still and he's very, very good.

OTOH, this speed is 50 to 60 mph faster than a stock Legacy with the same engine, and 30 mph faster than before the belly and some other mods. While I love to watch the battle of the turbo-ADI engines, this is more impressive because no one would ever expect to see a 50+ mph gain without major power mods. The factory salesmen are convinced it's turbo'd. Nope. Reliable daily driver.
          Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

I remembered that Lee didn't ever want to turbo his "daily driver", but when I saw the qual speed take a big jump up from last year, I guessed that he finally bit the bullet to stay in the Gold / Super Sport heat on Sunday.
            But, now that Eric has the spilled the beans, I want the "rest of the story" !!! Who asked you (or paid you) to look for more speed in an already clean airframe? What is the basic aero concept? (interference, span loading, wave drag...???) Does anyone else have the mod?
            Since I'm stuck in the midwest (again) this year, I want to see pictures !!!

PropFan

Comment

Curious about the belly mod. speed increase not withstanding, heard that it makes it twitcher to fly.
              What does that mean is happening, and did you have the same result with Lee's

Paul

Comment

Would somebody please post a picture of Lee's airplane showing this mod?

Thanks

Comment

It looks like the used the fuse kit from Aerochia

....and other mods I'm sure....
                  Mayday51
                  Jim Gallagher

Comment

Thank you, Jim

Comment

Here's a pic from Friday after the race, FWIW
                      Attached Files
                      Joe

Comment

Thank you, Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by mayday51
                          It looks like the used the fuse kit from Aerochia

....and other mods I'm sure....
                          Ummm, no. My mod replaced Andy's and went faster. It was a challenging deign problem and took 4 tries to get it right.

LOTS of other work went into that speed this year, some engine, some aerodynamic. Some small things are extremely subtle and very powerful drag factors, the owner would prefer that we don't talk about them.
                          Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                            Curious about the belly mod. speed increase not withstanding, heard that it makes it twitcher to fly.
                            What does that mean is happening, and did you have the same result with Lee's

Paul
                            Not true for the Beluga. Inboard wing root vortices that the mod cured can cause issues with the airflow over the tail and these can vary throughout the envelope causing handling issues.
                            Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Foam
                              Ummm, no. My mod replaced Andy's and went faster. It was a challenging deign problem and took 4 tries to get it right.

LOTS of other work went into that speed this year, some engine, some aerodynamic. Some small things are extremely subtle and very powerful drag factors, the owner would prefer that we don't talk about them.

Thanks Eric.
                              Mayday51
                              Jim Gallagher

Comment

Working...
                              X