Any Dreadnought Updates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Dreadnought Updates?

The "highs" and "lows" of Reno race week in a microcosm today.

The "high" - news of the Bear's qualifying run today

The "low" - news of the Buick's engine problems

Is there hope that they can make repairs on Dreadnought, or is she done for the week? If so, major bummer, as the Buick is one of my favorites.

Re: Any Dreadnought Updates?

Makin' metal, done for the week. Bummer too, cause the Buick is always lurking.

Comment

I hate to see the Buick out, she always nips at the heels of whoever is running out front and always close or second.

Best to Matt and crew

Comment

Originally posted by KB Adkins
        The "highs" and "lows" of Reno race week in a microcosm today.

The "high" - news of the Bear's qualifying run today

The "low" - news of the Buick's engine problems

Is there hope that they can make repairs on Dreadnought, or is she done for the week? If so, major bummer, as the Buick is one of my favorites.
        To bad that Dreadnought doesn't have another motor in the warehouse. There's always that 90 MPH run to L.A. & back. It's been done before. It also sounds like the Bear is a bit slow. Wheres the speed?

ENJOY!! LADYSUE

Comment

Yes, The bad news is true. The mighty Dreadnought is out for 08. We apparently suffered a bearing failure somewhere in the engine. It appears the engine is not trashed and we elected to stop now before any further damage is done. The plane performed flawlessly during qualifying and gave no indications of problems. In fact, the old war horse qualified faster then it ever has by 5 MPH. We were shocked to see the metal in the screens. Good luck to all the racers and hope to see you next year with a healthy Dreadnought. This should be a hell of a year with all the hot rods in the line up less one.

Matt J

Comment

You know the old story Matt...

" They run best, right before they blow"......

Sorry to hear your out. You and the Sanders are a class act.

Go Argonaut!
            Last edited by AlisoBob; 09-10-2008, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Matt,
              That is sad news indeed! You ARE a class act, and It's too bad you won't be racing this year. I'm looking forward to your own racer turning the pylons though. I met you a couple years ago and you were golden to me (despite the rash of negative posts that were being sent my way at the time, just for expressing my opinion on some stupid subject) I'll never forget how awesome you were to me, you have a fan for life! (don't worry, I'm not a stalker)

Race 29
              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson
                Yes, The bad news is true. The mighty Dreadnought is out for 08. We apparently suffered a bearing failure somewhere in the engine. It appears the engine is not trashed and we elected to stop now before any further damage is done. The plane performed flawlessly during qualifying and gave no indications of problems. In fact, the old war horse qualified faster then it ever has by 5 MPH. We were shocked to see the metal in the screens. Good luck to all the racers and hope to see you next year with a healthy Dreadnought. This should be a hell of a year with all the hot rods in the line up less one.

Matt J
                Well dadgummit. I was looking forward to a good battle between you and Czech Mate. And with Dreadnought, another win is always a possibility. Sorry to hear of the problem. Doesn't seem like the last two engines lasted nearly as well as the one before that, or is my memory fading?

Comment

Sigh! Dreadnought's my favorite along with the late, great Planes Of Fame Super Corsair.

Until her prop is turning once again, these vids will put a smile on my face (in case anyone hasn't seen them):

Reno air racers P-51 Strega and Hawker Sea Fury Dreadnought at Strega's home base Minter Field,CA. airshow. 199?.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Very sorry you and the Sanders Team's #8 are out Matt. All the best.

John H

Comment

So Matt,

Will Dreadnought stay and be fixed in Reno?

Good luck any which way though!

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3
                        So Matt,

Will Dreadnought stay and be fixed in Reno?

Good luck any which way though!

Tommy
                        Time for a picture of the Sanders Sea Fury transporter! Anybody?
                        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Mr Matt Jackson,
                          this is truly a very sad news. I will miss not to see Dreadnought between the contenders.

Comment

Very sorry to hear about the Buick. She looked fabulous during qualifying.
                            Attached Files
                            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Dreadnought will be placed in RARA hanger for one week while awaiting transporter. Upon arrival of transporter Race 8 will be placed on a rack and trucked back to Ione for engine removal and repair. THe repair will take a couple months and add a few for good measure.

Matt J

Comment

Working...
                              X