Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Voodoo - Any new intel on the path forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo - Any new intel on the path forward?

Wow, for those of us having to sit at our desks all week (won't be at Stead until Saturday), the news of Voodoo's engine woes is a real sucker punch.

I've read the reports here and on the other board, and the news ranges from putting in another race engine (from pink to green or green to pink?), rebuilding the burnt-piston engine, or putting in a ferry engine for the rest of the week.

In a post from June on the Voodoo website, Bob Button stated "We still plan on being in Reno in September with three engines for racing, two Allison rodded and one Merlin rodded".

Does anyone on the ramp have any intel that will clarify what the Voodoo camp is going to do? It's way too early in the week to think that we've lost one of the Gold contenders already!

Re: Voodoo - Any new intel on the path forward?

Team Voodoo has pulled the damaged engine, and are right in the process of mounting the next bullet.

**edit** prop on, work continuing...

LP
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Lonnie, appreciate all the info. from the ramp. Good news. Any word if the new motor going in is a "race" motor? If not, can the damaged motor be fixed for action later this week?

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
        Team Voodoo has pulled the dammaged engine, and are right in the process of mounting the next bullet.

LP
        Freaking grenade may be the more appropriate term.

Sorry for my attitude (which I shall promptly adjust), I'm just frustrated at how hard a time the Merlins have had the past several years. I mean dude it's only MONDAY and we got race motor(s) popping.
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

As I mentioned, it hit me like a sucker punch, especially when the initial report yesterday also mentioned engines problems with Strega as well (since refuted). Please, please, can't the Merlins stay together until late Sunday afternoon?

Comment

I got a phone call from Bob Button and he told me it is the gold engine they are putting in Voodoo. It is close to a stock engine and they will have to compete with less power but still plan to race. If need be it will be in bronze and silver.

Dan

Comment

Thanks for the update. Good news that Voodoo will still be flying this week, major disappointment that the race motor can't be fixed and didn't even make it past the first weekend. Not a good start for the Merlins, if you include Cloud Dancer's troubles. Any news of who's flying today so far, who looks good, etc? Has the Buick gone up yet?

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
                Bob Button: "I take full responsibility. I allowed it to be leaned on, too hard, too early..."

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell

Sorry for my attitude (which I shall promptly adjust), I'm just frustrated at how hard a time the Merlins have had the past several years. I mean dude it's only MONDAY and we got race motor(s) popping.

These motors are pushed harder than the radials. Merlin's have always not been a fan of the longevity department. unless in 100% stock form that is.
                  CFI/CFII/MEI
                  www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                  www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    Bob Button: "I take full responsibility. I allowed it to be leaned on, too hard, too early..."

Yeah, yeah, I know. But I'm tempted to think it's just Bob saying that because he's a super stand up guy and he knows a thing or two about maintaining the right attitude.

Originally posted by Inverted
                    These motors are pushed harder than the radials. Merlin's have always not been a fan of the longevity department. unless in 100% stock form that is.
                    I know, I've been going to Reno for a span of 21 years; I keep thinking I'll get used to the extra measure of, um, "suspense" provided to us by Rolls Royce, but when you're a die-hard Mustang/Merlin fan it just never comes easy. I can only begin to imagine how the teams must feel.
                    _________
                    -Matt
                    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

If it makes any of the Merlin crowd feel better, Dago flew a few hot laps. She looked and sounded great.
                      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Voodoo was out on the ramp and running this evening... speaking of which, who got the photo. Can you say "Stack Fire"?
                        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                        My Photos
                        My Ride

Comment

Working...
                        X