Kolo TV Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kolo TV Report

Anyone Read this "typical" new story about the Reno Air Races? Its the usual watch dog type stuff you get after there is an accident at the races. I am really sick and tired of these. If the races left Stead washoe county would cry there eyes out because of lost revenue. I am sure Las Vegas would welcome the races with open arms. And thing of the show then?? I am really tired of the good ole boys in Reno and I am not alone there are many race pilots that feel the same.

Re: Kolo TV Report

Story even got to Yahoo. No air racing is'nt as safe as General Aviation, but your point is? Motorsports are dangerous. We have a better record than Indy car racing, Drab boat racing, or Little League (average12/year worldwide). Remember life is the leading cause of death without risk might as well be dead. Sure wish I could go but I'm broke. I was running a hobbyshop that went down. If your traveling through Chico Ca and have a spare ticket too I'd love to go
    Last edited by eeyore; 09-07-2008, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by w9jcm
      Anyone Read this "typical" new story about the Reno Air Races? Its the usual watch dog type stuff you get after there is an accident at the races. I am really sick and tired of these. If the races left Stead washoe county would cry there eyes out because of lost revenue. I am sure Las Vegas would welcome the races with open arms. And thing of the show then?? I am really tired of the good ole boys in Reno and I am not alone there are many race pilots that feel the same.

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/27972104.html
      [editorial]WOW.. it figures they'd quote a guy who pretty much has a stated goal to see the races end.. why? Because he has an axe to grind and got himself kicked out of the races for disruptive acts against participants and organizers!

I'm frankly, far beyond disgusted that he would give such a quote to media..

TISK TISK TISK!

We need a "smilie" for big thumbs down!

TISK TISK TISK![/editorial]
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I sent an e-mail to KOLO after the five o'clock broadcast. Twice they reported that four people were killed in crashes at stead in the last two weeks and questioned people about safety concerns. They made it sound as if four racers went down instead of one tanker and one racer. It blows my mind how screwed up these reporters are.
        Tony

Comment

After a phone call, and an email, I received a call from KOLO reporter this evening. The initial report was picked up by their webmaster from the AP wire. Was NOT written locally and the fellow who called me (the person who wrote the current piece, and insisted it replace the AP wire piece) was a bit dumbfounded about the first one...

Local damage control achieved... AP wire service tapped a hostile source (or two.. note long ago displaced IF1 Prez digging his spurz in lower down in initial "report")

World wide damage... done.

Again, shame on those involved. No glory here...

God speed those who pass doing what they love. I absolutely adore the statement by eeyore " life is the leading cause of death" and the little league worldwide death stats.. they kill more folks in one year than we did in most of the years of the World's Fastest Motorsport..

This story was a fiasco. Very sad that the timing had to be so poor. I can understand the AP media, they are who they are! But again, shame on those who should know better and who took the grab and gave the bad quotes that made the news.

Wayne Sagar
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That's interesting Wayne. When the link was originally posted I tried to add a highly critical comment at KOLO but it never showed up. I was wondering why the story changed suddenly... Thanks for clearing that up. And kudo's to everyone else who complained!

Comment

And, it is on the second page of USA Today (monday edition).

Lame is putting it lightly.

Comment

I also tried to put a reply on the Kolo site but they are just like the rest of the media if it doesn't fit there ideas they wont put it up. Its a big joke.

Comment

Unfortunately, the few times I have been interviewed by a reporter they will keeping asking you the same Question in different ways hoping to get an answer that sounds like it supports their point of view. Just my own experience.
                  Russ
                  Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

The News/Media never reports the news any more! They report their opinion! They are a weapon of mass distortion!
                    Troy

Comment

It's just ridiculus how they tie a crash landing, which may have been remotely related (it was after all, an "air racer"), and a tanker crash to this. 19 fatals in 44 years? Considering what is involved I would think that an enviable record. But then the general public see's most of aviation (excepting the people tubes they rely on) as inherently dangerous, both to the silly pilots and those on the ground. When I was flying sailplanes, which I considered one of the safest ways to be airborn, most people would look at me as an idiot, flying something without a motor just HAD to be dangerous. No clue about how it all works or desire to know.
                      News reports like the ones about this just feed that with sensationalism over fact.
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                        After a phone call, and an email, I received a call from KOLO reporter this evening. The initial report was picked up by their webmaster from the AP wire. Was NOT written locally and the fellow who called me (the person who wrote the current piece, and insisted it replace the AP wire piece) was a bit dumbfounded about the first one...

Local damage control achieved... AP wire service tapped a hostile source (or two.. note long ago displaced IF1 Prez digging his spurz in lower down in initial "report")

World wide damage... done.

Again, shame on those involved. No glory here...

God speed those who pass doing what they love. I absolutely adore the statement by eeyore " life is the leading cause of death" and the little league worldwide death stats.. they kill more folks in one year than we did in most of the years of the World's Fastest Motorsport..

This story was a fiasco. Very sad that the timing had to be so poor. I can understand the AP media, they are who they are! But again, shame on those who should know better and who took the grab and gave the bad quotes that made the news.

Wayne Sagar
                        If I'm not mistaken, Nascar and big time stock car racing killed more people from 98-2001 than air racing did in a decade. Nobody said..."hey stop the racing." They finally fixed the problems after their biggest star (Dale) was killed. This is a totally stupid story and the way the media moves on I'm sure it is already being forgotten. All points in this thread I agree with. Thanks for straightening out the local media!

John
                        Last edited by John H; 09-08-2008, 11:54 AM.

Comment

In my experience most people that know nothing about flying believe that if the spinning thing out front stops the plane falls from the sky. Apparently they forgot that those paper airplanes they folded and flew as a kid didn't stop flying just because they don't have an engine out front.
                          As a side note, being a military aviator, and doing it on a jet as big as the C-5, I've had many a chance to show our aircraft off to the general public during air shows. During the course of the day answering all sorts of questions it never fails that you will get one that really makes you scratch your head. A couple years back a buddy got this one; "How do you get the power from the engines to the wheels?" I think he had to ask the guy to repeat himself a couple time just to make sure he understood what was being asked. I guess to guy thought there was some sort of elaborate transmission system that ran through the wings to each wheel.
                          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                          My Photos
                          My Ride

Comment

LOL
                            I can see someone asking that!
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                              I guess to guy thought there was some sort of elaborate transmission system that ran through the wings to each wheel.
                              Well you need to be able to taxi right?

hehehe j/k

Comment

Working...
                              X