Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dago Red 500 mph Lap Who built that engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dago Red 500 mph Lap Who built that engine?

Anyone know the story- and how about this year? Gonna be fun!

Re: Dago Red 500 mph Lap Who built that engine?

Originally posted by nitromainia
    Anyone know the story- and how about this year? Gonna be fun!
    One of the last (if not the last) Mouse Motors out of Dwight Thorn’s Mystery Aire shop

Slack can add to that I am very sure.

Comment

Dwight Thorne I believe built the engine With a Race speed of 507.105 mph and the fastest Lap ever at 512mph in 2003 That was Fridays Gold Heat.. Maybe Saturday not exactly sure .. All I know is the was the First and Only Time I witnessed the Air Races .... Until This YEAR!!!!

RENO '08 Can't Wait!!!
      W.Hughes

Comment

Yep and here’s the thread with the video I shot http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=4953 that sure was an awesome race.
        Jason Schillereff

Comment

Originally posted by Jason S.
          Yep and here’s the thread with the video I shot http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=4953 that sure was an awesome race.
          Very cool Jason! Particularly liked seeing CM one last time... *sigh* I completely understand and support the Dwelle's "return it to stock" plan but it still makes me sad that we're never gonna see that beast turn the sticks again..

Anybody else notice that the Rare Bear just does not have enough wing to fly?? (Not that CM had much more!!)

Nice stuff Jason..

Lemme know if I can do anything to help you utilize the BW and disk we have available here! Less someone who "hires" us needs it, we've got an insane amount of BW/DS available every month!

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks for the offer Wayne, much appreciated, but all of my new stuff will be getting uploaded thru my http://www.vimeo.com/user598498 page. Currently I can upload 500Megs of video a week in almost HD quality (for free) and once they offer larger file uploads (for a small fee) I’ll be able to post up some really good stuff that’s not to far off from the original.
            Jason Schillereff

Comment

Originally posted by King
              One of the last (if not the last) Mouse Motors out of Dwight Thorn’s Mystery Aire shop

Slack can add to that I am very sure.
              That engine was built by Mystery Aire LTD. Dwight Thorn's shop, The actual assembly of the engine was done by Myself, Steve Bartholf under Dwight's consultation. Mike Wilton came in and helped with the planetary drives and engine runs it was the second to last Mouse ever built. The last Mouse ever built was the one that finished first the following year but due to a pylon cut Rare Bear was awarded first place.
              Last edited by BellCobraIV; 09-04-2008, 07:27 AM.
              John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                but due to a pylon cut Rare Bear was awarded first place.
                Ahh... the year I was too... unable to be there.. Remember it well! Got a play-by-play on the phone and thought, hey, second place... Cool, we'll be able to play again next year! Good thing John saw the cut, backed off and saved the engine for the next year!

What a time that was!

Barely enough $$ in the kitty to feed that hungry monster!

Relying on the purse to race.... not quite enough! Add in FAN support and you had the "people's airplane"..

I'm enjoying where she is now but, those were the days!

How's your dad?

Well I hope!

Wish he would make it to Reno, a lot of folks REALLY miss seeing him!

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Jason S.
                  Thanks for the offer Wayne, much appreciated, but all of my new stuff will be getting uploaded thru my http://www.vimeo.com/user598498 page. Currently I can upload 500Megs of video a week in almost HD quality (for free) and once they offer larger file uploads (for a small fee) I’ll be able to post up some really good stuff that’s not to far off from the original.
                  Hey Jasonl, sounds cool! Long as ya keep sharin!!

Nice work!!

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That was a great race and I think the one when Mr. Price cut a pylon in Dago Red with Strega in hot pursuit was also a great race. I also miss the King Cobras, here was an early sketch. Thanks, KC

Comment

OT Da Bear

any news on the bears paint job :

Comment

I sure miss the Cobras too! First year out was 1972 and I came all set to be race #90's biggest fan,...only to find out on arrival that it had taken a salt water plunge a couple of weeks before. Slovak's #21 P-39Q and Sandberg's #28 P-63C were in the pits to help me feel better.

Don't you wish just one of those P-63 hulks last reported stored at Falcon Field in Mesa, or one of the old Tallichet P-39 hulks could be made into a super clipped and chopped down all out racer? Even if it never made it out of the Silver, just having one there would be wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                          That engine was built by Mystery Aire LTD. Dwight Thorn's shop, The actual assembly of the engine was done by Myself, Steve Bartholf under Dwight's consultation. Mike Wilton came in and helped with the planetary drives and engine runs it was the second to last Mouse ever built. The last Mouse ever built was the one that finished first the following year but due to a pylon cut Rare Bear was awarded first place.
                          Wasn't that the year of the "snowstorm" Unlimited Gold? IIRC, Skip's canopy was fogging which was a contributing factor to the pylon cut.
                          _________
                          -Matt
                          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Re: OT Da Bear

Originally posted by flynundertaker
                            any news on the bears paint job :
                            The Bear is pretty much painted, there is detail work left to do. The prop is on and engine running is expected to begin today. John flew in late last night. The paint job is looking sweet!!!

LP

Comment

Re: OT Da Bear

Originally posted by MMPerk
                              The Bear is pretty much painted, there is detail work left to do. The prop is on and engine running is expected to begin today. John flew in late last night. The paint job is looking sweet!!!

LP
                              Pictures would be nice... Please
                              Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X